Are we headed in the right direction?

auskull

40 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That's very true but it almost makes you wonder why we would pick him up in the first place if he wasn't close to his ceiling yet. I honestly hope he does grow into being a great coach but I think parts of his inherent personality will keep him from being what we need. But hey, I could be wrong and I'd love to be because it doesn't look like we'll get anyone new until, at the earliest, I'm breaking into my early 30's. :beer2:

Image result for get off my lawn gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That's very true but it almost makes you wonder why we would pick him up in the first place if he wasn't close to his ceiling yet. I honestly hope he does grow into being a great coach but I think parts of his inherent personality will keep him from being what we need. But hey, I could be wrong and I'd love to be because it doesn't look like we'll get anyone new until, at the earliest, I'm breaking into my early 30's. :beer2:

We picked him because he was the key to our first national championship in over 50 years and instrumental in our recruiting going from meh to highly competitive. We also picked him because no one who had any serious pedigree was chomping at the bit to coach here. Our program had just imploded, and even without that we've never been a perennial contender.  Even when bama sucked, we were only in the SEC Championship game 2 out of 8 years and only won it once. It's kind of funny, but in the 9 years he's been around the program, we've been to the SEC Championship as many times as we were in the 17 years prior, and won it more times... and those 9 years have been during bama's best run in history. People forget that where we are is actually better, overall, than the previous couple of decades, even if it's not quite where we would like to be.

If and when we get to the point that it's time for Gus to move on, and he just maintains where we currently are in the meantime, THEN we should be in line for proven talent because we are finally establishing ourselves as a true perennial contender.  A coach can look at our program and think he's got the stuff to take that next step, instead of looking at it and just seeing that he has to go through bama, Georgia, and LSU to get his bonuses. 

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

I have to agree with you. Just don't think that Gus will ever be that coach who can keep a team at 10-12 wins consistently. We're going to keep seeing dips and falls intermittently under him. We recruit well enough to stay relevant but not well enough to break into the "elite" category that everyone wants to be at each year. Honestly, Gus would be better off going to a school like UCF and taking it from a small-mid-tier program to a consistent conference champion and occasionally nationally relevant program. Really could see him making a move to a school like that after Auburn and staying for a long, long, long time.

If he wants to go back home to Arkansas I could see him returning to Arkansas State if it isn't too awkward...

He’s not going anywhere for a while, now.  He frustrates me, but he’s our guy for the next few years. 

Archived