Recruiting against Bama, UGA, & the Vols

shabby

Winning solves all of this. I can understand a  specific type of QB being apprehensive with Gus, but generally , if you go out and perform the NFL will find you . The difference being whether it is in the earlier rounds or later. All of this can be influenced by development. I want to see our offense get better with this particularly on the perimeter 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Well, it’s not working except maybe on the OL.  We keep getting talented QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Like I said, it is something they are starting to do.  

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Like I said, it is something they are starting to do.  

True certain bammer and uga recruiters have said that for a couple of years as well as being on the hot seat. Negative recruiting is a way of life. I will say it can come back and bite you in the ass. 

9 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I pay little attention to the NFL. So, tell me the bamr offensive player, outside of Julio Jones,  who has  had a successful professional career. There is Ingram with the Saints but no other name jumps out at me.

Won't go into full career, but 

Julio

Amari Cooper

Mark ingram

Tj yeldon

Kenyon drake

Oj Howard had a nice rookie year

Even though he hasn't really played for some reason A. J mccaron is a hot commodity 

5 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Julio

Amari Cooper

Mark ingram

Tj yeldon

Kenyon drake

Even though he hasn't really played for some reason A. J mccaron is a hot commodity 

Henry and Lacy have had more successful careers than any of our RBs, although Tate would've been a monster in Houston if he hadn't gotten injured.  

15 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Julio

Amari Cooper

Mark ingram

Tj yeldon

Kenyon drake

Not to mention the o-line guys which is just as many

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Henry and Lacy have had more successful careers than any of our RBs, although Tate would've been a monster in Houston if he hadn't gotten injured.  

Forgot to mention Henry. So a non Offensive coached team is sending more productive players to the league. I'm just following the narrative of some of the post in this thread. So I could see kirby and nick using the tactic. 

As with most areas of sales...recruiting is a sale...it becomes a matter of trust. Recruiting involves the parents as much as the player. The player wants a clear path to the NFL. The parent wants their child to be safe, cared for, and to get an education that can sustain them beyond football. Despite Gus’ stiffness with the media, he apparently, has the ability to connect on a personal player well being level. That level of caring resonates with the recruit and the parents. Regardless of on field results, that level of trust is the high card.

20 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Forgot to mention Henry. So a non Offensive coached team is sending more productive players to the league. I'm just following the narrative of some of the post in this thread. So I could see kirby and nick using the tactic. 

Agree.

42 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Julio

Amari Cooper

Mark ingram

Tj yeldon

Kenyon drake

Mrs. McCarron is a hot commodity 

Kinda moved that around

4 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Kinda moved that around

I for one totally agree... 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Henry hasn’t had a more productive career than Tate yet. He’s mostly been a backup to Murray just as much as Tate was a backup to Arian Foster.

10 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I pay little attention to the NFL. So, tell me the bamr offensive player, outside of Julio Jones,  who has  had a successful professional career. There is Ingram with the Saints but no other name jumps out at me.

Just completing the comparison for Gus’s offensive players in the league:

- Grant- situational RB, KR

-CAP- backup RB. Has yet to break out

- Barber- gained RB1 status late into the season over Doug Martin. Running game is still stagnant. He has a clown for a QB though. 

-Tre Mason- strong rookie reason. The more talented Gurley was drafted onto same team which sent Mason into a tailspin.

-Cam is Cam- 

Greg Robinson- Was not very good at the Rams. Went to the Lions and lasted six games before getting waived there:. Only Ereck Flowers was worst than Robinson at his position that I can think of. 

-Jay Prosch- He’s a stud and just signed a three year extension this year. He was an All American FB at Illinois before he fell in Gus’s lap.

CJ Uzomah: backup TE that gets some catches here and there. 

As far as I know, Shon Colemam, Coates and Ricardo Louis are still with the Browns. 

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just completing the comparison for Gus’s offensive players in the league:

- Grant- situational RB, KR

-CAP- backup RB. Has yet to break out

- Barber- gained RB1 status late into the season over Doug Martin. Running game is still stagnant. He has a clown for a QB though. 

-Tre Mason- strong rookie reason. The more talented Gurley was drafted onto same team which sent Mason into a tailspin.

-Cam is Cam- 

Greg Robinson- Was not very good at the Rams. Went to the Lions and lasted six games before getting waived there:. Only Ereck Flowers was worst than Robinson at his position that I can think of. 

-Jay Prosch- He’s a stud and just signed a three year extension this year. He was an All American FB at Illinois before he fell in Gus’s lap.

CJ Uzomah: backup TE that gets some catches here and there. 

As far as I know, Shon Colemam, Coates and Ricardo Louis are still with the Browns. 

like me and @ellitor have said in the past we need to have a star pop for us other than cam. Out of all of those picks only Greg Robinson was a first or second round pick. None of those guys being in the NFL do us any good out of the mid round picks unless they become studs. Honestly the biggest miracle is barber. I thought he was the worst starting rb we had in the malzahn era as a oc or head coach. I am shocked he has stuck in the nfl for this long. Congrats to him!!! Great young man with a great story.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

like me and @ellitor have said in the past we need to have a star pop for us other than cam. Out of all of those picks only Greg Robinson was a first or second round pick. None of those guys being in the NFL do us any good out of the mid round picks unless they become studs. Honestly the biggest miracle is barber. I thought he was the worst starting rb we had in the malzahn era as a oc or head coach. I am shocked he has stuck in the nfl for this long. Congrats to him!!! Great young man with a great story.

Read this regarding Greg Robinson:

Starting 14 games for Los Angeles last year, he allowed seven sacks and ranked 62nd out of 74 eligible tackles in pass blocking grades, per Pro Football Focus.

And while there’s plenty of room for improvement in pass protection, Robinson was even worse in the run game. As a run blocker, he ranked 78th out of 79 eligible tackles per Pro Football Focus, and has seemed to only go backward in his development in three seasons with the Rams. It’s been sort of mystifying; he’s a top-tier athlete, a guy that consistently bullied defensive linemen in the run game in college, and yet he can’t seem to beat anyone at the pro level. What happened?

He was essentially playing a different game at Auburn. The Tigers’ offense was a spread-out, space-based option system, a modern derivative of the Wing-T, and it required completely different things of Robinson than what the Rams’ old-school, I-formation-style scheme would. Robinson, like many college linemen transitioning to the NFL of late, had little experience with the types of blocks he needed to be able to execute at the next level. In former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz’s informative piece on SB Nation breaking down the difficulties of transitioning to the professional game, he notes that “Robinson played in [a college offense] that barely resembled anything that exists in the NFL. I could hardly find any clips to make comparisons [for what he’s done with the Rams].”

emphasis mine.

Also, Mason heard the same crap from draft gurus as they tried to pigeonhole him as product of the offensive system. 

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Barber...Running game is still stagnant.

Tell that to my Saints last Sunday who he did well against when the Saints were in a game they were trying to win to clinch the division outright.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Read this regarding Greg Robinson:

Starting 14 games for Los Angeles last year, he allowed seven sacks and ranked 62nd out of 74 eligible tackles in pass blocking grades, per Pro Football Focus.

And while there’s plenty of room for improvement in pass protection, Robinson was even worse in the run game. As a run blocker, he ranked 78th out of 79 eligible tackles per Pro Football Focus, and has seemed to only go backward in his development in three seasons with the Rams. It’s been sort of mystifying; he’s a top-tier athlete, a guy that consistently bullied defensive linemen in the run game in college, and yet he can’t seem to beat anyone at the pro level. What happened?

He was essentially playing a different game at Auburn. The Tigers’ offense was a spread-out, space-based option system, a modern derivative of the Wing-T, and it required completely different things of Robinson than what the Rams’ old-school, I-formation-style scheme would. Robinson, like many college linemen transitioning to the NFL of late, had little experience with the types of blocks he needed to be able to execute at the next level. In former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz’s informative piece on SB Nation breaking down the difficulties of transitioning to the professional game, he notes that “Robinson played in [a college offense] that barely resembled anything that exists in the NFL. I could hardly find any clips to make comparisons [for what he’s done with the Rams].”

emphasis mine.

Also, Mason heard the same crap from draft gurus as they tried to pigeonhole him as product of the offensive system. 

yah he has been............. not good!!!! Remember coates and ricardo after they were drafted criticized the gus system because it did not prepare them for the nfl and they were so lost when they went in for interviews with these nfl teams before the draft. NFL teams def do not like the malzahn offense because of the learning curve once they go to the nfl.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tell that to my Saints last Sunday who he did well against when the Saints were in a game they were trying to win to clinch the division outright.

17 for 71? Golf clap.

Also, the TB rushing offense is 27th in the league. Stagnant is correct. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

lol when did I say he was stagnant? I just never was a fan of barber when he was at AU. I thought he was not even close to as talented to jovon robinson and I would groan when he came back in the game in the ole miss and georgia games specifically in 15  when gus would yank jovon back out after he had been gashing those defenses. He def has blown my mind and looked like a completely different back in the nfl. his vision has got a lot better and he looks a lot more spry. More than he ever did at AU. Def had to eat crow on him. WAR DAMN PEYTON BARBER! happy for him.

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol when did I say he was stagnant? I just never was a fan of barber when he was at AU. I thought he was not even close to as talented to jovon robinson and I would groan would gus in the ole miss and georgia games specifically in 15 would yank jovon back out after he had been gashing those defenses. He def has blown my mind and looked like a completely different back in the nfl. his vision has got a lot better and he looks a lot more spry. More than he ever did at AU. Def had to eat crow on him. WAR DAMN PEYTON BARBER! happy for him.

Peyton had roughly 108 carries for 420 yards for a 3.9 average. Doubt he will be a 1000 yard back though. I really don’t think his skill set has changed much and thus he’s still a low ceiling RB in the NFL. He has always run like a man possessed but he’s not ever going to be the guy to gain volumes of yards in chunks. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Peyton had roughly 108 carries for 420 yards for a 3.9 average. Doubt he will be a 1000 yard back though. I don’t think his skill set has changed much reallu and I still think his ceiling as NFL RB is pretty low. He has always ran like a man possessed but he’s not ever going to be the guy to gain volumes of yards in chunks. 

My expectations for him were VERY low. I never expected him to ever play in a NFL game lol. So yes I am shocked he has stuck in the NFL and is even playing! Great for him. But yah I def agree with your assessment of him.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I don't even need stars, although we do need a legit NFL starting RB. I just want to hear more guys say "Auburn" when they announce starting lineups on Sunday and Monday night broadcasts.

Archived