Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So if the offenses of 2015 and 2016 kept up at a high pace Lashlee still would've been let go? 

Lol, Rhett was let go for many reasons and if you think he had any input on the offense, well............

Rhett told Gus where the safeties were on game day.  He also had no clue on how to be a quarterback coach.  He was also fired after the LSU game and was allowed to finish the season.  

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Lol, Rhett was let go for many reasons and if you think he had any input on the offense, well............

Rhett told Gus where the safeties were on game day.  He also had no clue on how to be a quarterback coach.  He was also fired after the LSU game and was allowed to finish the season.  

Dang..he seems to be slowly proving himself though .

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's not knowable. Certainly having Stidham at QB added a bunch to the offense as well. Hand couldn't have been too terrible or the results would have been different. Both Texas and Notre Dame had Hand on their short list so he must be fairly well regarded in coaching circles. I'm not against a change, but the idea that Hand was given the boot and then ended up being able to choose between Texas and Notre Dame defies logic. I just hope Grimes doesn't end up being a step in the wrong direction.

You couldn’t make a safer hire than grimes. Better? Probably but he can coach. I just assumed he was nearing retirement and settling down with his son 

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

"Hmmm. So first you cite this year's scoring numbers to indicate Hand working with Malzahn improved the offense. Then you say how much of an improvement Hand's presence made is unknowable. So it could very well be Hand made no positive contribution to 'Auburn's offense. It could be having Stidham and Lindsey this year is the reason Auburn's offense played well. Not Hand working with Malzahn."

No, I cited the improvement as being an indication that Hand couldn't have been too terrible.

The interesting thing is, in 2017 our Offensive Line rankings went down, dramatically in most cases, in all areas except for short yardage while our overall offensive performance went up. So, what may have been the case is that Chip was a dramatic improvement and Hand made him not look as good as he really was.  Of course all of that is speculation, since you have to consider personnel, schedule, etc. 

Stats are great.  Love them.  Used to pour over them often, back before I had a family and thus, a life HA!

I know some like the saying "stats don't lie" and that's fine too.

However, remember stats go both ways....and though they may tell a cumulative statistical story, they don't tell the whole story unless you consider the game by game nature of actual football.

For all of the wonderful overall numbers (good or bad), a season is measured game by game in wins & losses + who you beat and, for the chest thumpers out there, how you beat them (keep in mind it's entertainment and many judge by style points).  You have to take into account the Clemson, LSU & UCF games (again, I'll give them a pass for the seccg...sigh).  Those were monumental failures.....statistically too, for that matter.  This is "the eye test" that others of us like to use.

I'm not sure how the stats lovers can just ignore those performances, which have been a VERY common theme with Gus coached teams for 4 years now (and no signs of stopping based on his reverting post IB) and feel things are rosy because there's "progress"...

I'm fine with optimism and actually prefer it.  I was a full blown sunshine pumper until the last couple seasons.  But to use stats to act like those who are skeptical are just being pessimistic instead of realistic is very short sighted, if not outright blind. 

Using statistics, you can pump your fist to your friends and say "see, Auburn was awesome cuz they ran for lots of yards and passed for lots of yards". 

Using the eye-test, the response will be "yeah, well Auburn went into an offensive shell 4 times that cost them games in which they would have, and probably should have won at least 3 of them.  Just like last year...and the year before...and the year before...".

Sorry, yes I'm feeling pessimistic at the moment.  I hope to feel optimism again but frankly I'm Gun, no...Gus Shy at the moment.

Archived