Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Well then his replacement is already on campus and will be publicly named within the hour. Thanks for the heads up. Of course, if the replacement isn't named by 9 AM, we will know that those sites were pumping BS.

I just do not get why you seemingly have to always defend to the death every single auburn coach like they were related to you or something.  Herb did some good things but he did a lot of bad as well. The man does not need you defending him acting like he is some great coach and this is a huge loss because it is not as evidenced by the reaction vast and wide throughout the AU family. Because he is not. JB was a much better coach than him. Just could not recruit. Herb flat out was getting whipped on the trail this year. Would he of landed some of these guys down the stretch that he was after? We will never know. AU can do better than herb was giving us at the rate we were paying him. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, metafour said:

So an inexperienced coach who had to fill his staff with the few guys he knew from his previous job hires Herb Hand, and because the school is "Texas" you assume that this means that Hand must have been at the top of some grand list of all-time great OL coach candidates? 

Your logic is infallible.  So what are you trying to tell me here: Texas hires "who they want", and it just so happened that the best coaches in the country were all coaching with Herman at mighty Houston University LOLOL? No, the more likely conclusion genius is that Herman has not had the time to develop the reputation needed to attract "the best of the best" and thus like many young coaches has to rely on his limited network of guys he knows already.  Herb Hand may have very well been the best coach he could land.  The guy that Herb Hand is replacing spent 2 years at Houston, and before that was the TE coach for New Mexico.  You want to tell me that Herman could have hired ANYONE, and he chose that chump? Don't be stupid.

LMAO! It's you who are being stupid, and also rude but that's been your method for a long time here.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just do not get why you seemingly have to always defend to the death every single auburn coach like they were related to you or something.  Herb did some good things but he did a lot of bad as well. The man does not need you defending him acting like he is some great coach and this is a huge loss because it is not as evidenced by the reaction vast and wide throughout the AU family. Because he is not. JB was a much better coach than him. Just could not recruit. Herb flat out was getting whipped on the trail this year. Would he of landed some of these guys down the stretch that he was after? We will never know. AU can do better than herb was giving us at the rate we were paying him. 

I'm not defending Hand.I'm simply saying that coaches who leave for a promotion to a school like Texas probably didn't get shown the door. That doesn't make sense.

I thank Herb Hand for being proactive and cross-training guys on the line so that they could compensate for injuries. That clearly got us through some games. I do, however, think OL was a weakness (perhaps due to the injuries) and we cannot afford to have our QB  running for his life. We have talent on the line and I think they will be able to improve under the right hire. Good luck to you, Coach Hand!

Texas already has an offensive line coach, I'm betting Hand will only be assisting and overseeing but not actually coaching.  Texas has been way worse than Auburn in terms of OL production.  Ha, not a single guy drafted from that group since '08.  This is a HC in Herman that is desperate to do something (anything) to generate some positive spin for his program...his seat is going to get increasingly warm if something doesn't change soon.  It seriously would not shock me if this isn't a surprise within the Auburn football building.

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A less than desirable sophisticated passing game concepts is all on gus. He makes it easy on the defense a lot of times. It has made both D craig and Kodi look bad from time to time so far because people (myself included) will just blame the wr coach.

Yeah didn't think about it like that...yet another coach handcuffed by Gus's ineptitude and stubbornness. 

did coach hand not have to change the blocking scheme that chip wanted? i wonder if he was not happy with that and wanted to stick with what he felt the most comfortable with? but people should give gus props for making a change at coaching he really hated to make? someone certainly pulled the trigger for a change and i believe maybe gus is trying to build the best staff he can get? i think this is a great sign gus is evolving but i am just guessing here.

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hope Texas is ready to give up all time sack records. 

Thank you Texas. 

I'm astounded they made this move!

I am too....but I bet we could go into more than a few AE/AUFamily buried threads and see CHH mentioned frequently for every OL vacancy we've had since I've been "on Board."

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

So do I

I think it was a brisket thang.  If it can be found in Auburn, Texas-style, it's news to me.

3 hours ago, Roos said:

Bird - don't be going to TX just to get something good to eat, 

BBQ here is good too, and don't forget the possum & gravy here!!!!

Possum and gravy "here" in Auburn or in West Vance?  Is that LA literally?  :Sing:

Image result for ernest t. bass possum

45 minutes ago, metafour said:

So an inexperienced coach who had to fill his staff with the few guys he knew from his previous job hires Herb Hand, and because the school is "Texas" you assume that this means that Hand must have been at the top of some grand list of all-time great OL coach candidates? 

Your logic is infallible.  So what are you trying to tell me here: Texas hires "who they want", and it just so happened that the best coaches in the country were all coaching with Herman at mighty Houston University LOLOL? No, the more likely conclusion genius is that Herman has not had the time to develop the reputation needed to attract "the best of the best" and thus like many young coaches has to rely on his limited network of guys he knows already.  Herb Hand may have very well been the best coach he could land.  The guy that Herb Hand is replacing spent 2 years at Houston, and before that was the TE coach for New Mexico.  You want to tell me that Herman could have hired ANYONE, and he chose that chump? Don't be stupid.

We have posters on this board right here that think Travis Williams is a superstar LB coach.   Is he a chump?  Sounds like a chump... or the chump is someone on a message board calling someone stupid..  

Does @Mikey or I know everything that is best for AU... nope.  But we defend the university til the end and always will.  If that makes us stupid then I'll be glad to be stupid. 

I'm also not a keyboard cowbow but you don't go around calling older gentlemen stupid.  So stop with the board bullying...

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We have posters on this board right here that think Travis Williams is a superstar LB coach.   Is he a chump?  Sounds like a chump... or the chump is someone on a message board calling someone stupid..  

Does @Mikey or I know everything that is best for AU... nope.  But we defend the university til the end and always will.  If that makes us stupid then I'll be glad to be stupid. 

I'm also not a keyboard cowbow but you don't go around calling older gentlemen stupid.  So stop with the board bullying...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol so according to this website Hands offensive line ranks the last 4 years (2 at Penn St and 2 at AU) 97,69,92 and 121. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. I think we can all agree Herb Hand is not what is best for AU! lol btw JB grimes last year in 2015 the AU OL was ranked 24th and in 2014 it was ranked 31st...........

All I can say is, I'm happy that HH found a new job (probably with the help of CGM), much as CGM helped Lashlee out the door. HH was not, IMO, getting the most out of Auburn's OL talent last year, and confronted with an OL rebuild, Auburn really needs a very solid OL coach. I'm not convinced that HH will be the answer to the Longhorns' OL difficulties, but I wish him the best in whatever (probably limited) capacity he will have there. As to whether CGM can actually land a really solid OL coach .... well ..... I guess we will see.

Rodney Garner was catching the same kind of s*** two years ago Herb is getting now. Football fans are a fickle, shortsighted, even worse,  short memoried bunch of folks. 

54 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I think it was a brisket thang.  If it can be found in Auburn, Texas-style, it's news to me.

I saw a news release that said a Texas-style BBQ joint was coming to Auburn. Then I read it was in Auburn, California. :(

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Rodney Garner was catching the same kind of s*** two years ago Herb is getting now. Football fans are a fickle, shortsighted, even worse,  short memoried bunch of folks. 

Hand has NEVER had the type of success recruiting and coaching with the units and players he has put in the nfl that Garner has had. Hand deserves most of the crap coming his way. He was one of our highest paid non coordinators assistants and totally was not earning his pay. All I remember is people getting upset at Garner for maybe one cycle when it came to recruiting and then he crushed it out of the park the next cycle and everyone went back to praising him. 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Possum and gravy "here" in Auburn or in West Vance?  Is that LA literally?  :Sing:

Image result for ernest t. bass possum

That was one of my favorite Beverly Hill Billy episodes!

I'm watching Benjamin Wolk's livestream from earlier today and his sauces tell him that we should expect a hire within the next 24 hours.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think Texas made the decision, not Auburn. Hand  got a promotion to co-oc in the deal. Texas has deep enough pockets, the tradition and facilities to hire any assistant they want. We didn't "ease somebody out" and then they got a promotion to go to Texas.

You don't understand...when a guy leaves AU it's gotta be because we don't want' him.....and don't be concerned that we don't have any idea who we might hire that might do a better job. ....'cause the usual explanation is "anyone could be better".   

Problem with this discussion is that of the 125+ OL coaches in Div 1,  I doubt the combined forces of this forum could name more than 4 of 5 of them outside of the SEC .....or give actual reasons why they think we can hire someone better than HH.   Not saying we might not do better 'cause might get lucky...but for those who want HH gone, if the replacement is no better, then it will be Gus's fault of course. ...cause there are so many good OL coaches out there ready to change jobs.....and we just hire another one. .

3 hours ago, metafour said:

$2 million or more for an OL coach? You understand that we pay less for both our OC and DC, correct?

That is why I said Assoc Head Coach as well. Coaching rates are going up at a fast rate. If their is an unbelievable coach who would consider coming for a lot of money, then I believe we should pay it.

Wont get into it now but we have to be willing to pay, to compete with the best.

A unit of experience and talent that put out frightening results in at least 4 games this year.  Glad we’re going in a new direction.

My question...if Gus thought Herb  was gone in December...does that mean he mailed it in against UCF?...his unit played extremely unprepared and uninspired.

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I'm watching Benjamin Wolk's livestream from earlier today and his sauces tell him that we should expect a hire within the next 24 hours.

Sauces...very interesting soothsaying method.

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

A unit of experience and talent that put out frightening results in at least 4 games this year.  Glad we’re going in a new direction.

My question...if Gus thought Herb  was gone in December...does that mean he mailed it in against UCF?...his unit played extremely unprepared and uninspired.

Hmmmm....interesting thought, Devil.

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think you may well be right on that. Was wondering why they waited on his contract. Now it makes sense. He was already packing just waiting on a home to go too. Remember Gus just kind of hinted that CHH was going to be ok.

Archived