Volleyball 2018 Signing Class Ranked Seventh

augolf1716

impressive

AUBURN, Ala. –The 2018 Auburn volleyball signing class is ranked the seventh-best incoming group in the nation.

The 2018 class garnered the highest ranking in program history, featuring three Top 35 Senior Aces and two Gatorade Players of the Year. Auburn’s incoming freshmen are also ranked the second-highest among Southeastern Conference opponents.

“We are really excited for the qualities this group will add to our program both on and off the court,” head coach Rick Nold said. “The fact that we were able to secure one of the best classes in the country shows the direction this program is headed.”

The six freshmen joining the official Auburn roster will be Mica Allison (6-1, S, White Heath, Ill.), Val Green (6-2, OH, Oxford, Ohio), Katie Persons (5-3, DS, Grand Rapids, Mich.), Bella Rosenthall (5-5, DS, Yorktown, Ind.), Taylor Rowland (6-3, OH, Charlotte, N.C.) and Tatum Shipes (6-4, OH, Buford, Ga.).

Allison, ranked the No. 7 Senior Ace and the Illinois Gatorade Player of the Year, was a member of the 2017 USA Volleyball National Youth Team. In addition, she earned 2017 AVCA Under Armour All-America third team recognition.

Rowland and Shipes will bring big height on the outside for Auburn. Rowland is the No. 30 Senior Ace and a two-time North Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year. Shipes is ranked No. 34 on the Senior Ace list and the 2017 8-AAAAA Region Player of the Year in Georgia. The pair picked up AVCA Under Armour All-America second team honors this year.

Green, a Top 250 Senior Ace, is a three-time Southwest Ohio Conference Athlete of the Year. Rosenthall is another Top 250 Senior Ace with both state and national recognition, while Persons will add depth in the back row following a successful senior season for East Grand Rapids High School.

Allison and Rowland have been on campus since January as early enrollees.

Thanks golf....interesting list of athletes.....might be able to use some of that height on the basketball team though.   Any instances where players could participate in both sports or do the seasons overlap?  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 6'4". I like a woman who can look me in the eyes. Even better, athletic ones. I'm old, but I'm not dead yet.

Seriously, this looks like a great recruiting class. If the coaching is as good as the recruiting, this could set Auburn on course for some great seasons ahead.

Auburn will get an early test in the Auburn Invitational vs Michigan. The B1G teams are always tough.

13 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm 6'4". I like a woman who can look me in the eyes. Even better, athletic ones. I'm old, but I'm not dead yet.

Seriously, this looks like a great recruiting class. If the coaching is as good as the recruiting, this could set Auburn on course for some great seasons ahead.

Auburn will get an early test in the Auburn Invitational vs Michigan. The B1G teams are always tough.

I'm 6' and my 14 yr old niece DOES look me in the eyes (my sis in law is 6'1").  My "little" niece just made her HS volleyball team too...and my bro's family are huge AU fans. Hmmmm...

On ‎05‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, AU64 said:

Thanks golf....interesting list of athletes.....might be able to use some of that height on the basketball team though.   Any instances where players could participate in both sports or do the seasons overlap?  

I got an 8th grader into VBall.  The skills don't necessarily translate nor do the personalities.  BBall has to have a completely different set of aggressive tendencies with close contact of the opposition and willingness to fight.  VBall, seems to me,  requires a killer instinct, but not the close personal contact and aggressiveness towards the opposition. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Auburn has had 5 players transfer since the end of last season. Should there be a concern about the direction Nold is taking the program? We usually start out the non-conference season pretty well, but are mediocre at best when the SEC schedule starts. I had hope with last year’s highly ranked recruiting class, but it seems that has gone by the wayside. This year will make 9 years since we tasted NCAA Tournament success, our only trip. I remember the mild success we had when I was there in the mid to late 90’s (a couple of 20 win seasons and the 1996 SEC West Championship, which there is no banner hanging for in Auburn Arena I might add). With soccer consistently doing well, it would be nice to have another successful Friday night sport prior to kickoff the next day.

8 hours ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Auburn has had 5 players transfer since the end of last season. Should there be a concern about the direction Nold is taking the program? We usually start out the non-conference season pretty well, but are mediocre at best when the SEC schedule starts. I had hope with last year’s highly ranked recruiting class, but it seems that has gone by the wayside. This year will make 9 years since we tasted NCAA Tournament success, our only trip. I remember the mild success we had when I was there in the mid to late 90’s (a couple of 20 win seasons and the 1996 SEC West Championship, which there is no banner hanging for in Auburn Arena I might add). With soccer consistently doing well, it would be nice to have another successful Friday night sport prior to kickoff the next day.

Have no idea about vollyball situation hopefully someone can give some info

Archived