NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

If Florida blows through their opponents and wins the CWS, it will make Auburn look even better for taking them to 11 innings in Game 3.   Not that I want UF to do that, but it is something to consider. 

I considered it....for about 30 seconds. ;D

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, BJCrawford said:

Do you have a favorite? I’m kind of “anyone but Florida and arky” right now

I'm pulling for the Beavers! Sittin' up late one night several years ago watching West Coast football and the OSU Beavers, either held USC on the goal line or scored on the goal line late to whup the Trojans. Been a random Beavers fan ever since. Even had an Oregon friend get me a Beaver's cap.

Question: If the Beavers play the Gators, will they have to flood the field so those teams will feel confortable? :)

So how much conversation with the OSU pitcher, Heimlich get?      Might be the best college pitcher in the country and not drafted again this year.   So he's playing college ball despite what happened a few years ago..

I always figured that at least one major league team would have drafted Jeffrey Dahmer if they thought he had potential to hit .300 in the bigs.  ...and yet no major league team will touch Heimlich.    So how does OSU get away with this? 

So....any predictions about Heimlich?   

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

So how much conversation with the OSU pitcher, Heimlich get?      Might be the best college pitcher in the country and not drafted again this year.   So he's playing college ball despite what happened a few years ago..

I always figured that at least one major league team would have drafted Jeffrey Dahmer if they thought he had potential to hit .300 in the bigs.  ...and yet no major league team will touch Heimlich.    So how does OSU get away with this? 

So....any predictions about Heimlich?   

I need a refresher on Heimlich. What's his problem, or is there a handy link?

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I saw that last week but wasn't sure I should bring it here.

I would not ever support a school that allows a child molester to play on their team. I don't care how good he is on the pitcher's mound. Shame on OSU.

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I saw that last week but wasn't sure I should bring it here.

I would not ever support a school that allows a child molester to play on their team. I don't care how good he is on the pitcher's mound. Shame on OSU.

This came up last year and he or OSU decided that he would not play in the CWS...but guess they thought it would die down and thus far have taken no action on the matter this season..

SO...>ESPN which seems to think it has to be out front on about every social justice issue where it intersects with sports is carrying the games......and the question I raised......will ESPN just go with the flow...or will they challenge the NCAA and OSU over the matter?.

Wondering what directions have been given to the ESPN on air personnel? :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

This came up last year and he or OSU decided that he would not play in the CWS...but guess they thought it would die down and thus far have taken no action on the matter this season..

SO...>ESPN which seems to think it has to be out front on about every social justice issue where it intersects with sports is carrying the games......and the question I raised......will ESPN just go with the flow...or will they challenge the NCAA and OSU over the matter?.

It could get ugly imo

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

How long would it stay buried if it was an AU player?   Or am I being paranoid?  

Heard it discussed today on espnu radio and they were being VERY careful. They referenced people saying he was a great kid who made a mistake but THEY made sure they were quoting someone else. They also say he says he plead guilty bc his lawyer told him to but that he was innocent. I find it very telling that no team in the draft would touch him.  I have trouble being sympathetic but I do not know all of the facts. 

16 minutes ago, around4ever said:

nope….but we have supporting experience

But....nobody much pays attention to Oregon State....a mostly non-entity in football or anything else.  This will be one of their few venture onto the national stage.     JMO but I don't think the will get a pass.  

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Heard it discussed today on espnu radio and they were being VERY careful. They referenced people saying he was a great kid who made a mistake but THEY made sure they were quoting someone else. They also say he says he plead guilty bc his lawyer told him to but that he was innocent. I find it very telling that no team in the draft would touch him.  I have trouble being sympathetic but I do not know all of the facts. 

I heard some of this yesterday too....and yep...being careful which was surprising because they usually launch out onto campaigns about various social things with little or no proof and lots of opinions....and pretty much guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent.     

Like you....I don't know what went on when the guy was 15 but usually juvenile records are locked up tight so maybe there is no way to get the "truth" but quotes from the mother of the child left no doubt about how she felt...or what she thought she knew. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I heard some of this yesterday too....and yep...being careful which was surprising because they usually launch out onto campaigns about various social things with little or no proof and lots of opinions....and pretty much guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent.     

Like you....I don't know what went on when the guy was 15 but usually juvenile records are locked up tight so maybe there is no way to get the "truth" but quotes from the mother of the child left no doubt about how she felt...or what she thought she knew. 

Juvenile court records in Washington are not automatically confidential.....

I do not for one instant believe his claim that he is innocent. A 6 year old is not going to make up something like that.....and she was only 4 when it started. 

Oh I did not see the mother’s quotes. I thought I heard either on the radio, or somewhere else, that the only reason it came to light when it did is because he did not keep up with the registry like he was suppose to. So I guess the record could have been sealed and may have stayed that way had he kept up. I would be interested to know if opposing fans throw this out in the games this weekend. The LSU boards were certainly bringing it up when they were playing them. 

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Oh I did not see the mother’s quotes. I thought I heard either on the radio, or somewhere else, that the only reason it came to light when it did is because he did not keep up with the registry like he was suppose to. So I guess the record could have been sealed and may have stayed that way had he kept up. I would be interested to know if opposing fans throw this out in the games this weekend. The LSU boards were certainly bringing it up when they were playing them. 

I don't think it was because the Oregonian/OregonLive just filed a records release and got his records. Apparently in Washington sex offenses by juveniles are not sealed. 

So...if he has complied with legal requirements from the time of the crime and done nothing since then... ( past 5 years)....how long is that held over his head ?

Obviously this is not a baseball issue...other than the fact that he will be on the big stage this weekend and thus. .....  will or should anyone ask him about it in a post game interview?

10 hours ago, around4ever said:

For what its worth, this has been public since at least last years tournament, so it hasn’t been buried. That’s when I first learned about it. Terrible situation, none the less. 

36 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For what its worth, this has been public since at least last years tournament, so it hasn’t been buried. That’s when I first learned about it. Terrible situation, none the less. 

I know it has been public knowledge.  My question was about espn not making it a lead story as they do with anything negative associated with AU. 

37 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I know it has been public knowledge.  My question was about espn not making it a lead story as they do with anything negative associated with AU. 

AU has given them lots to lead with if you think about it however....

But in this case, how long does the "crime" have to be made an issue in a sports story?   

I've always wondered how this "registration" process for sex crimes has survived a high court challenge....for the perp it is like getting a life time sentence in many ways..   Heimlich's case is a good example.....has made him about unemployable as a baseball player for something he did when he was 15 or so.  

Bet there would never be a case where a convicted drug abuser would have to register his or her residence with the local police after a sentence is served. 

It's been six years. According to the "guy that wrote the book on young sex offenders" who is quoted in the article, he's extremely unlikely to repeat. If I were hiring for a spot on a team or job in a company, I'd hire him if he were otherwise qualified.

No, I don't excuse or minimize the crime but the guy has, to all appearances, rehabilitated. He was 15 at the time. When is enough punishment enough? He deserves a life too.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's been six years. According to the "guy that wrote the book on young sex offenders" who is quoted in the article, he's extremely unlikely to repeat. If I were hiring for a spot on a team or job in a company, I'd hire him if he were otherwise qualified.

No, I don't excuse or minimize the crime but the guy has, to all appearances, rehabilitated. He was 15 at the time. When is enough punishment enough? He deserves a life too.

Tennessee had a recent football player with a similar background. He was 13 when he committed his offense. I was appalled when UT put him on scholarship (AU briefly recruited him too). He had an average and otherwise uneventful football career. He’s now a part time radio show host and recently started a very successful business. He lettered for 4 years and I never heard anything about his story ever mentioned on radio or TV, beyond the local market. Hopefully he’s fully rehabilitated and will never offend again. It’s an appalling crime and one I wish were not part of our society. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU has given them lots to lead with if you think about it however....

But in this case, how long does the "crime" have to be made an issue in a sports story?   

I've always wondered how this "registration" process for sex crimes has survived a high court challenge....for the perp it is like getting a life time sentence in many ways..   Heimlich's case is a good example.....has made him about unemployable as a baseball player for something he did when he was 15 or so.  

Bet there would never be a case where a convicted drug abuser would have to register his or her residence with the local police after a sentence is served. 

That's because you don't understand the crime....especially pedophilia. The victims are too young to protect themselves and the offenders are almost universally manipulative, secretive and very cunning. Almost all pedophiles re-offend . In order to protect children it is essential that adults know who is likely to harm the children in their lives. The same goes for rapists of adults. Vulnerable segments of society need to be protected. For the greater good of society, sex offenders and their crimes have to be publicly exposed.The nature of the crime is much different than being in possession of illegal substances. The victims of sexual assault are the ones who serve the lifetime sentence. 

As for Heimlich....I think he very well might re-offend at some point. Why? Because now he's trying to deny he ever molested that little girl in the first place. That means he doesn't accept responsibility for the harm he caused, and he's not really sorry for anyone but himself. He wants his life to unfold as if he never committed a serious crime and harmed a very young child. BTW....all those opinions on whether he might re-offend IIRC were offered while he was admitting guilt, getting therapy,and was seemingly contrite.  They might feel different about it now that he's trying to say he's innocent, and putting the blame on his lawyer. 

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Probably headed for a thread lock down, which is certainly not my intent....

This should not be a surprise.  Contemplating this from a (radical) conservative Christian perspective it seems obvious to me that discussion on more than a superficial "outrage" level should beg the obvious question in my mind.  ESPN has never hesitated to champion "sexual" causes, why not this one?  Heimlich was prosecuted for what anyone should clearly recognize as deviant sexual behavior.  The question, as always with ESPN and should be here, who's standard does the behavior deviate from?

As a formality I am compelled to state that what he pleaded guilty to is in no way justifiable.

I recommend that we move on to baseball.   This particular topic can only go downhill from here.  Instead of shutting down the entire thread or deleting all posts discussing this, let's just talk CWS baseball.  Thanks. 

Archived