Ryan Davis: "We Know What We Have to Fix"

aubiefifty

By Mark Murphy16 hrs

Auburn, Ala.--Leading the Auburn football team in receptions and receiving yardage at the halfway point of the 2018 regular season schedule, Ryan Davis and his teammates will try to bounce back from a disappointing loss when they take on the Tennessee Vols on Saturday.

Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. CDT at Jordan-Hare Stadium as the 4-2 Tigers take on the 2-3 visitors, who were off last week.

“We have just got to move forward,” says Davis, whose team struggled last Saturday night in a 23-9 loss at Mississippi State.

“Our mindset is just to continue to get better,” he says. “We have got to put everything in the past and leave it behind us. We know what we have to fix, what we have to work on. We have just got to stay positive. Our mindset right now is sticking together and get through this tough time. We will continue to do that.”

Ryan Davis has 137 career interceptions. (Photo: Todd Van Emst)

Davis will go into this week’s game after posting season highs for receptions (nine) and yards (91) vs. Mississippi State. He has a streak of 20 consecutive games in which he has caught two or more passes.

Against the Bulldogs the Auburn offense only scored three field goals and missed four very good opportunities to score touchdowns.

“We just haven’ been able to click right now,” Davis says of the offense as a whole. “Obviously, it is frustrating. We are not playing as good as we want to, but obviously have to get through it, keep punching and just keep working every day and find a way to get through it. I feel like we will, and I know that we will. It’s just a matter of time. We'll definitely get that corrected as soon as possible.”

11COMMENTS

Commenting on the offense, Davis says, "I definitely think we're at our best when we get into tempo, when we're having positive plays. I think our offense is hurt sometimes when we get behind the chains. It kind of sets us back. It's definitely hard to call plays for, like, third-and-long. That puts us as an offense in a bind as well. The more positive plays we get and the more we get rolling and get into rhythm, I think it'll be better for the offense."

One of the best plays for the offense last week was the first one of the third quarter for the Tigers when Davis caught a deep sideline route for a play that produced 42 yards. “It definitely helps with teams keeping them honest, making them play me different ways and stuff like that,” says Davis, who is most known for catching shorter passes. “Showing that I can go deep on guys and that I’m not just a short-yardage guy and an intermediate guy, but I also catch balls down the field, I definitely think that helps a lot.”

Click Here to Sign Up for Premium Content

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

By Mark Murphy16 hrs

Auburn, Ala.--Leading the Auburn football team in receptions and receiving yardage at the halfway point of the 2018 regular season schedule, Ryan Davis and his teammates will try to bounce back from a disappointing loss when they take on the Tennessee Vols on Saturday.

Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. CDT at Jordan-Hare Stadium as the 4-2 Tigers take on the 2-3 visitors, who were off last week.

“We have just got to move forward,” says Davis, whose team struggled last Saturday night in a 23-9 loss at Mississippi State.

“Our mindset is just to continue to get better,” he says. “We have got to put everything in the past and leave it behind us. We know what we have to fix, what we have to work on. We have just got to stay positive. Our mindset right now is sticking together and get through this tough time. We will continue to do that.”

Davis will go into this week’s game after posting season highs for receptions (nine) and yards (91) vs. Mississippi State. He has a streak of 20 consecutive games in which he has caught two or more passes.

Against the Bulldogs the Auburn offense only scored three field goals and missed four very good opportunities to score touchdowns.

“We just haven’ been able to click right now,” Davis says of the offense as a whole. “Obviously, it is frustrating. We are not playing as good as we want to, but obviously have to get through it, keep punching and just keep working every day and find a way to get through it. I feel like we will, and I know that we will. It’s just a matter of time. We'll definitely get that corrected as soon as possible.”

11COMMENTS

Commenting on the offense, Davis says, "I definitely think we're at our best when we get into tempo, when we're having positive plays. I think our offense is hurt sometimes when we get behind the chains. It kind of sets us back. It's definitely hard to call plays for, like, third-and-long. That puts us as an offense in a bind as well. The more positive plays we get and the more we get rolling and get into rhythm, I think it'll be better for the offense."

One of the best plays for the offense last week was the first one of the third quarter for the Tigers when Davis caught a deep sideline route for a play that produced 42 yards. “It definitely helps with teams keeping them honest, making them play me different ways and stuff like that,” says Davis, who is most known for catching shorter passes. “Showing that I can go deep on guys and that I’m not just a short-yardage guy and an intermediate guy, but I also catch balls down the field, I definitely think that helps a lot.”

You need to change interceptions to receptions.   Tired of hearing the same old cleche's. Now Gus is rubbing off on the players. We've got to fix it. We've got to get better. Yet it doesn't get fixed and doesn't get better. Speak with actions not words.

This is one of the things I don’t understand about AUs offensive philosophy.    It seems that every team has a number one receiver and designs different formations and routes to get that person open.   Gus rarely does this and just has different receivers do different things.   Imagine what kiffin would come up with to get the ball in the hands of AS, Worm and RD.   It’s my opinion that all three of these players would start or see significant playing time on any team in the SEC

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is one of the things I don’t understand about AUs offensive philosophy.    It seems that every team has a number one receiver and designs different formations and routes to get that person open.   Gus rarely does this and just has different receivers do different things.   Imagine what kiffin would come up with to get the ball in the hands of AS, Worm and RD.   It’s my opinion that all three of these players would start or see significant playing time on any team in the SEC

All 3 would in my opinion..........no expert here........AU needs to run and run some more......boobie would be my primary back........needs to be getting 20 plus touches........again my only coaching experience is 10yrs YMCA basketball.

Ryan Davis is the one guy on offense that doesn't need to fix anything..... :beer2:

They may know what they have to do but I don’t think that they have the manpower to do it. I am convinced the entire problem with execution on the field is the oline. Talent level is not where we thought. You can’t fix talent in a week.

The problem is playcalling.  Yes the OL is struggling and so is JS but the issue is playcalling.  We just run the same thing over and over and over again thinking the OL will get better or JS will get better or eventually the teams that have seen it for 5 years will play defense differently.  We have to change up our plays, when we call them, and how we call them.  Gus wants to talk and preach about being behind the chains and he gives up a down to 2nd and 10 every time we get a 1st down with HUNH up the middle.  That is 2nd and 10 at best every time he calls it.  How many drives does that end up killing?  We run or throw the WR screen on 2nd and 10 and end up with 3rd and long.

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem is playcalling.  Yes the OL is struggling and so is JS but the issue is playcalling.  We just run the same thing over and over and over again thinking the OL will get better or JS will get better or eventually the teams that have seen it for 5 years will play defense differently.  We have to change up our plays, when we call them, and how we call them.  Gus wants to talk and preach about being behind the chains and he gives up a down to 2nd and 10 every time we get a 1st down with HUNH up the middle.  That is 2nd and 10 at best every time he calls it.  How many drives does that end up killing?  We run or throw the WR screen on 2nd and 10 and end up with 3rd and long.

It's almost like you've watched Auburn football the last few years....

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

And on 3rd or 4th and one we start 5 yrds behind the line of scrimmage. With our OL issues that's automatically making it 4th and 6 and "oh by the way Stidham, you're on you own". 

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It's almost like you've watched Auburn football the last few years....

You have 2 years on me but the first game I remember seeing was Auburn vs Boston College in the Tangerine Bowl.  I know I watched many before that one but didn't know good playcalling from bad playcalling lol.

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

You have 2 years on me but the first game I remember seeing was Auburn vs Boston College in the Tangerine Bowl.  I know I watched many before that one but didn't know good playcalling from bad playcalling lol.

That was the game Bo one handed a pitch from Campbell near the sideline. Fun game against Flutie. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

And on 3rd or 4th and one we start 5 yrds behind the line of scrimmage. With our OL issues that's automatically making it 4th and 6 and "oh by the way Stidham, you're on you own". 

YES!!!!! For the love of all that is great in this world can we please stop using the shotgun for short yardage.  My grandfather, API Grad, is probably being put in time out up in Heaven every time we do this.  Remember the tough hard nosed we are going to slap you in the face Tigers?  This ain't it when we can't get 1 yard.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

That was the game Bo one handed a pitch from Campbell near the sideline. Fun game against Flutie. 

That is the one.

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I remember that game.  I remember Flutie spiking the ball after a garbage TD they scored to make the score less lopsided LOL

The first game I remember was in person.  The magic, as a kid, of seeing the players "up close" through the magic of binoculars HAHA.  Unfortunately, they got shut out by thUga, but I was still hooked, even at 4 yrs old.

When I started to understand the nuances of football was during the Cribbs/Brooks years.  That's when I really cut my teeth... Then Dye took over, signed Bo, and.....magic!

27 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is just not true during the Mississippi State game. We had at least 2 perfect play designs/calls that would have been touchdowns if Jarrett could have executed. We had a touchdown on the ground that a player fumbled. We had a muffled punt return that gave state the only TD of the game aside from the last one. We had an extremely questionable call giving state a TD. I agree gus's play calling is often terrible, predictable, and loses games, but this week was not on the play calling. We actually gained a lot of yards in the second half, and we only had 21 rush attempts all game- that's the fewest ever by Gus, and it shows that they're adapting their philosophy to better fit the talent. I will say I think they should be throwing way more slants and easy routes to get Jarrett's confidence up, but other than that it is completely irrational to blame the state game on play calling. Note this is not taking the blame away from gus as a coach, as he should have better prepared the players to execute, but it is taking the blame away from his and Chips play calling. 

1 hour ago, Squidward2016 said:

This is just not true during the Mississippi State game. We had at least 2 perfect play designs/calls that would have been touchdowns if Jarrett could have executed. We had a touchdown on the ground that a player fumbled. We had a muffled punt return that gave state the only TD of the game aside from the last one. We had an extremely questionable call giving state a TD. I agree gus's play calling is often terrible, predictable, and loses games, but this week was not on the play calling. We actually gained a lot of yards in the second half, and we only had 21 rush attempts all game- that's the fewest ever by Gus, and it shows that they're adapting their philosophy to better fit the talent. I will say I think they should be throwing way more slants and easy routes to get Jarrett's confidence up, but other than that it is completely irrational to blame the state game on play calling. Note this is not taking the blame away from gus as a coach, as he should have better prepared the players to execute, but it is taking the blame away from his and Chips play calling. 

One overthrown pass was on a trick play.  Yes the refs cost us at least 1 TD.  Let me ask you this, when is the last time you saw a game where we did not run the same plays that we run every game?  You have to run plays and call plays that will work against the team you are playing that week.  Gus runs the same plays every week regardless of who we are playing.  Gus' offense works and works well against inferior teams.  We pile up the stats, yardage, and points every year but look who they are against.  MSU is not a very good team.  It is a team that we should have beaten very easily.  If you look at the routes we run and how many WR's are in the same place on the field you can't help but think that we need to change things up.

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

It’s hard for me to imagine all of that.  I can only get so far before I’m hit by a dose of reality and begin to puke...

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

By Mark Murphy16 hrs

We just haven’ been able to click right now,” Davis says of the offense as a whole. “Obviously, it is frustrating. We are not playing as good as we want to, but obviously have to get through it, keep punching and just keep working every day and find a way to get through it. I feel like we will, and I know that we will. It’s just a matter of time. We'll definitely get that corrected as soon as possible.”

11COMMENTS

Is clicking right now and finding our rhythm synonymous with executing or is it closer to we were able to trick 'em?

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

One overthrown pass was on a trick play.  Yes the refs cost us at least 1 TD.  Let me ask you this, when is the last time you saw a game where we did not run the same plays that we run every game?  You have to run plays and call plays that will work against the team you are playing that week.  Gus runs the same plays every week regardless of who we are playing.  Gus' offense works and works well against inferior teams.  We pile up the stats, yardage, and points every year but look who they are against.  MSU is not a very good team.  It is a team that we should have beaten very easily.  If you look at the routes we run and how many WR's are in the same place on the field you can't help but think that we need to change things up.

I agree we generally run pretty similar plays regardless of the opponent. But I also see that

A) at least against MSST, the plays we called were timed well and put the players in situations to succeed, and they didn't execute. (There are definitely games where it is entirely on play calling, ie lsu last year, both Clemson games, etc) 

B-  Gus's philosophy has always been to focus on running a few plays at an elite level, as opposed to having a huge playbook. Believe me, as a huge nfl fan, of course I think it'd be cool to watch a team w an offensive playbook as diverse as Bruce Arians or Andy Reid. But I also know that Gus, when he DOES get his offense running how he wants it, can make a team perform at an elite level even without having those massive playbooks. In my opinion, the jury is still out on what works better long term- practicing the same plays until you're so good no one can stop you, or implementing a huge playbook and have the advantage of being able to adapt on the fly  Gus has already defied traditional logic by showing you can beat elite defenses with a small playbook. He obviously does not know how to run practice to make the team ready week in and week out. But I don't know if I fault him for not completely changing the offensive strategy each week based on opponent: him adopting the same philosophy as Bruce Lee is not that ludicrous.

21 minutes ago, Squidward2016 said:

I agree we generally run pretty similar plays regardless of the opponent. But I also see that

A) at least against MSST, the plays we called were timed well and put the players in situations to succeed, and they didn't execute. (There are definitely games where it is entirely on play calling, ie lsu last year, both Clemson games, etc) 

B-  Gus's philosophy has always been to focus on running a few plays at an elite level, as opposed to having a huge playbook. Believe me, as a huge nfl fan, of course I think it'd be cool to watch a team w an offensive playbook as diverse as Bruce Arians or Andy Reid. But I also know that Gus, when he DOES get his offense running how he wants it, can make a team perform at an elite level even without having those massive playbooks. In my opinion, the jury is still out on what works better long term- practicing the same plays until you're so good no one can stop you, or implementing a huge playbook and have the advantage of being able to adapt on the fly  Gus has already defied traditional logic by showing you can beat elite defenses with a small playbook. He obviously does not know how to run practice to make the team ready week in and week out. But I don't know if I fault him for not completely changing the offensive strategy each week based on opponent: him adopting the same philosophy as Bruce Lee is not that ludicrous.

I wish we could play like Bruce Lee. LOL

20 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

trick play? You have a very broad definition of trick play if you consider that one.  Teams run that exact play all across the country every saturday.  It's not remotely close to a trick play.    That was a touchdown and that was all on execution not remotely on play calling.    I agree the play calling is vanilla at best and extremely predictable, but using that play as an example isn't applicable.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, WarTiger said:

trick play? You have a very broad definition of trick play if you consider that one.  Teams run that exact play all across the country every saturday.  It's not remotely close to a trick play.    That was a touchdown and that was all on execution not remotely on play calling.    I agree the play calling is vanilla at best and extremely predictable, but using that play as an example isn't applicable.

Ok.  Bad description.  Regardless it is a play where the ball changes hands numerous times behind the line in order to trick the defense into thinking it is going one way and then the play going another way.  What in the world would you call a trick play?  

Archived