Question for the board

NorthGATiger

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would tolerate traditional injury stoppages, if they would revamp the ridiculously inconsistent targeting rule. A guy can dream can’t he?

Amen.  The targeting rule is complete bs.  I understand if you are truly going after a defenseless player.  But for instance this weekend LSU/MSU MSU QB is back to pass Devin White is in a blitz and Fitz throws the ball while in motion White shoves him in the numbers with both hands because of both players momentum their face masks barely touch... helmet to helmet contact ejection for the remainder of the game and 1st half of next game.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Amen.  The targeting rule is complete bs.  I understand if you are truly going after a defenseless player.  But for instance this weekend LSU/MSU MSU QB is back to pass Devin White is in a blitz and Fitz throws the ball while in motion White shoves him in the numbers with both hands because of both players momentum their face masks barely touch... helmet to helmet contact ejection for the remainder of the game and 1st half of next game.

My revision would be: Sitting out the next defensive series after the first offense to make you think about it. Current ejection rules apply if it happens again in the same game. It’s ridiculous the way it is now, and the rule itself does not discern between malicious intent and natural forward progress. 

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

My revision would be: Sitting out the next defensive series after the first offense to make you think about it. Current ejection rules apply if it happens again in the same game. It’s ridiculous the way it is now, and the rule itself does not discern between malicious intent and natural forward progress. 

Part of why LSU best us. Our offense is such a momentum and pacing based thing. They went down every single time we were finally starting to click on a drive. When play resumed we goofed it up.

It sucks but I agree there’s no realistic way to regulate it. Instead of getting mad convince the players it’s a motivator. “Look that’s them showing they’re scared and they don’t know how to stop you.”

48 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

That’s clearly a violation of both the hands to the chest rule and the 11th commandment.

Lol.  I mean seriously their helmets barely even touched.  How is that targeting?  I’ve seen worse as well but just remembered that one from this weekend.  

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

Lol.  I mean seriously their helmets barely even touched.  How is that targeting?  I’ve seen worse as well but just remembered that one from this weekend.  

I think it got the flag because Fitz turned his head away during the "hit" so it looked like impact from the ref's point of view. But how it was not overturned is beyond me (and WarTiger is also flabbergasted).

Edit: Maybe they can add in a rule to allow for an "appeal" to the SEC office? But that might not work either as I've "heard" the office backed up this call for whatever stupid reason.

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

What a crap call by the replay booth. Too bad LSUs next game is verses the fighting row tides which I'm sure had absolutely nothing to do with the call. 

21 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I think it got the flag because Fitz turned his head away during the "hit" so it looked like impact from the ref's point of view. But how it was not overturned is beyond me (and WarTiger is also flabbergasted).

Edit: Maybe they can add in a rule to allow for an "appeal" to the SEC office? But that might not work either as I've "heard" the office backed up this call for whatever stupid reason.

It’s all about player safety and monetary liability in the future.  I only think it’s gonna get worse not better.   However I do think offensive players accountability into the situation.  If they lower their heads and cause the “targeting” then both should be flagged and ejected.  I know it will never pass but it’s kind of like flag guarding in flag football if their is no place to hit how to do you even tackle someone.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

It’s all about player safety and monetary liability in the future.  I only think it’s gonna get worse not better.   However I do think offensive players accountability into the situation.  If they lower their heads and cause the “targeting” then both should be flagged and ejected.  I know it will never pass but it’s kind of like flag guarding in flag football if their is no place to hit how to do you even tackle someone.

That’s a good point. It’s a player safety driven rule, and offensive players can willingly and knowingly increase risk of injury in order to get a defensive player ejected.

One of the dumbest things ever was doing away with a 5 yards face mask. Inadvertent face masks can happen. Now, if that happens, you might as well get your money’s worth and bring him down by it. Give up 15 yards versus risking giving up points. Bush league, yes. But that has to happen and in some places be taught. 

Archived