bowl practice will fix everything

TigerOne

for next year. Since practice the rest of the year doesn't relate to any gameday situation (because the opponent doesn't do what we want)

It is threads like this that make me hope they fire Gus and get turned down by everyone and we end up with someone worse (which I have zero confidence in our ability to attract or hire a quality coach right now). Our fanbase would absolutely deserve that.

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

It is threads like this that make me hope they fire Gus and get turned down by everyone and we end up with someone worse (which I have zero confidence in our ability to attract or hire a quality coach right now). Our fanbase would absolutely deserve that.

tenor.gif?itemid=4246032

1 minute ago, aubcali said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4246032

Like this thread.

Does it mean they don't want the extra practice that many of the young players will get?

Does it mean that we don't want (even though it wont be a great bowl) the money that we would get for going to a bowl game? Which I believe also includes extra tv revenue.

If the players want to go to a bowl game does this mean they shouldn't get to go to one cause all the hard work the fanbase put into the season?

Maybe it will matter, cause maybe it will be the first experience our players have with a new coach (though I think most take over post now). Guessing if Malzhan is fired then he wont coach a bowl game.

Assuming the current rumors come true, perhaps we see Hugh Freeze's offense installed over bowl week? Assuming the money don't pony up to fire Gus...

But does bowl practice fix everything? No, but it helps get us in the right direction if we can bring some quality coaches and get our players a jump start for spring.

That's when we will hear how much of a step in the right direction that Joiner, Sandberg, Willis, Jackson, Newkirk, Jibunor, Hill, A. Martin, Gatewood have gained over the course of the season and how important bowl practices are... 

But for some weird reason other then playing a meaningless games Bowl season has become a fireable offence for coaches.  In the days of the playoff era if you aren't top 4 then you aren't crap.  Sure if you are going up against some long lost rival... like say Florida State, Clemson, GT or someone like that sure the game means something.  If not it's just practice and with the new redshirt rule I hope we use it to springboard some young players with some real snaps.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

That's when we will hear how much of a step in the right direction that Joiner, Sandberg, Willis, Jackson, Newkirk, Jibunor, Hill, A. Martin, Gatewood have gained over the course of the season and how important bowl practices are... 

But for some weird reason other then playing a meaningless games Bowl season has become a fireable offence for coaches.  In the days of the playoff era if you aren't top 4 then you aren't crap.  Sure if you are going up against some long lost rival... like say Florida State, Clemson, GT or someone like that sure the game means something.  If not it's just practice and with the new redshirt rule I hope we use it to springboard some young players with some real snaps.  

Maybe (actually likely) AU fanbase is spoiled and will treat a Belk Bowl invite as 'crap'. What about teams who are having a good year like Syracuse who have played in real crap bowl games for more than a decade? Won't their fanbase and the team be thrilled with a NY bowl like say Peach Bowl?

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

Maybe (actually likely) AU fanbase is spoiled and will treat a Belk Bowl invite as 'crap'. What about teams who are having a good year like Syracuse who have played in real crap bowl games for more than a decade? Won't their fanbase and the team be thrilled with a NY bowl like say Peach Bowl?

My biggest issue is last year no one went to the game...the ones that did go to the game were ho-hum so why even worry about wins and losses if the fans don't give a crap.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My biggest issue is last year no one went to the game...the ones that did go to the game were ho-hum so why even worry about wins and losses if the fans don't give a crap.

It's a chicken-egg scenario.  

Why travel to the bowl game when you know your coaching staff cannot win bowl games

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Why travel to the bowl game when you know your coaching staff cannot win bowl games

Lol really?  No the problem was we were disappointed as a fanbase for not winning the SEC.  We also thought UCF wasn't a worthy opponent.  Trickled down to the players...

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Lol really?  No the problem was we were disappointed as a fanbase for not winning the SEC.  We also thought UCF wasn't a worthy opponent.  Trickled down to the players...

Fan base lost that game.  Gotcha.   :laugh:  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Fan base lost that game.  Gotcha.   :laugh:  

No wasn't saying that but if they fans don't care why worry what the bowl record is... that's my point.  

Obviously Gus lost it... 

Just now, corchjay said:

No wasn't saying that but if they fans don't care why worry what the bowl record is... that's my point.  

Obviously Gus lost it... 

It's exactly what you said, actually.  

If Gus can't get his players prepared to win any game, he should be fired.  

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

THIS - all freaking day long!!! Anything outside the top 4 is just extra practice for a team and good entertainment through the holidays. I would LOVE to see Joiner and one of the 3 QB's mentioned get a lot of quality PT.

I am happy to have the 15 days of extra practice. Especially for Offensive line and secondary. I am also happy that we will get to watch one more game of football this season.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, shabby said:

I am happy to have the 15 days of extra practice. Especially for Offensive line and secondary. I am also happy that we will get to watch one more game of football this season.

this is the bs myth of bowl practice. It does not carry over to anything. It's a coaches excuse to gloss over how poor a job they have done.

Spring everything starts over with everyone with any talent fighting for the starting position. Gee that great day of practice back in December 

really solidified that OL. Something done 8 months before the season is nothing.

Bowl practice before Christmas will have several 'Toilet-Bowl' sessions and prep for the game....then after Christmas, regroup...review and then play the game...

What I hate to hear is how we didn't want to play UCF last year...will I know it must have been important because we were trailing at half and came out and went ahead but couldn't maintain the lead...we got beat and we need to give UCF credit and not make it out like we didn't care to be there...just my take...and I was at the game....cold day...

On 11/12/2018 at 8:59 AM, AURealist said:

I'm one of those rare guys I guess that finds a way to have fun regardless of what Auburn does on the field. Home games, away games, bowl games.

Maybe it is cause my father got sick at an early age and passed before he should of and spent most of the time bitching about it versus experiencing things in the time he had left. Course I'm a true believer that mental health impacts the physical.

Lol, if we go to Houston and play say W. Virginia.... they will destroy us. But **** it, me and the GF will go, think my sister and her family will go also and have a damn good time checking out things in Houston that we haven't done.

Beats the hell out of knowing what is gonna happen, then coming back here for the same ole bitch fest on the same ole things, when absolutely nobody here can do anything about and are at the mercy of money men that use the Universities program like their own little fantasy league.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

That’s just stupid.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

That is exactly what I thought when I read the OP.

Yet you hope the entire fan base ends up worst off. Think about that for a second

Archived