2019 Judi Garmin Classic Fullerton, California

Ok...playing the tie breaker....Washington had scored to put AU one run down.

AU with chance to win it.  two runners in scoring position...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow singles to tie the game...still runners on corners and no outs...Mc Crackin with chance to win it need to put the ball in play somewhere..

Auburn with runners on 1st and 3rd and game tied 6-6 bottom 8th.   Casey McCrackin at the plate.

McCrackin walks.  Bases are loaded for the Tigers  NO OUTS.   Alysa Rivera coming up.  End it here

Well, you don't often get two chance to win a game like this....good that AU could make it happen the second opportunity.

Bases loaded for Rivera ….no outs....pretty much anything but a K will do it..

Guess I like that OT rule a little better now....

Unbelievable.....twice it got away..... ☹️   C'mon CMD....be a little creative …..

Win or lose (and we should have already won this game) the girls played their hearts out today. The coaching --- meh -- Please make me eat those words Mickey.

Seems like we lost a great one when Livy transferred.

War Eagle !

6 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

Win or lose (and we should have already won this game) the girls played their hearts out today. The coaching --- meh -- Please make me eat those words Mickey.

Seems like we lost a great one when Livy transferred.

War Eagle !

exactly how is the coaching, meh?   I don't understand why so many don't like Mickey Dean as head coach.

Just now, WarTiger said:

exactly how is the coaching, meh?   I don't understand why so many don't like Mickey Dean as head coach.

had winning run on third twice and could not even figure out how to get a ball in play somewhere....not just the players involved in that problem...JMO

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

had winning run on third twice and could not even figure out how to get a ball in play somewhere....not just the players involved in that problem...JMO

Mickey Dean isn't at the plate taking the at bats.  I just don't see putting that on Deans shoulders. 

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Mickey Dean isn't at the plate taking the at bats.  I just don't see putting that on Deans shoulders. 

I agree! In the 8th, it was Rivera and Veach that struck out before Tannon grounded out. This is nothing personal against our players, but that is a junior and senior that couldn´t even put it in play. And both are seasoned veterans. 

UW just a little better than us, in that they can get a hit when they really, really need one.  Helluva game that we should've won, but just couldn't hit a fly ball or a grounder in the hole when we needed to.

So many squandered opportunities. Also keep in mind that this was the first game of the entire tournament for Washington. Totally fresh pitchers for them. Hope the players can get off the mat and play a good game tomorrow against UCLA. Need to learn from this one and realize we should be able to win a game like this. I thought that Washington's speed on the bases was a factor in the game.

34 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I believe we were in the bottom of the seventh, runners on first and second, no outs. Perry at bat. Instead of bunting the WINNING run over to third and having one out, Dean let's Perry hit away and she makes an out without advancing the runners. Next batter hits a slow roller to second for the second out, but which would most likely have scored the winning run from third. At the very least, would have been a good opportunity to win the game right there. Can't blame that on the admittedly disappointing batting with RISP.

That's a tough one!  Sounds like we had our opportunities but couldn't get it done at the plate.  I was curious to see how we did against top pitching.  Apparently we did pretty well but just couldn't get the timely hit.  Scoring 6 runs against UW is not bad.  

Looking at the box score, our pitchers struggled with their hitters and with the strike zone.  Martin struggled in relief giving up 6 hits and 4 runs in 4 innings.  I hope she gets over it and has a great outing against UCLA on Saturday.  

Lots or rain forecast for Fullerton tomorrow.  That is an early game (9:30 PST) so we might get it in, assuming they start at the top of the schedule after any rain delay.

15 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

I believe we were in the bottom of the seventh, runners on first and second, no outs. Perry at bat. Instead of bunting the WINNING run over to third and having one out, Dean let's Perry hit away and she makes an out without advancing the runners. Next batter hits a slow roller to second for the second out, but which would most likely have scored the winning run from third. At the very least, would have been a good opportunity to win the game right there. Can't blame that on the admittedly disappointing batting with RISP. 

That was definitely one of the rare spots where a SAC bunt could be good. The problem is I don't think Perry is that great of a bunter (she had 3 SH last year, none in 2017 or this year), and Alvelo is a pretty tough pitcher to bunt off of. A lefty contact pinch hitter (ie Maresette) would have been ideal, she was of course starting. So I think CMD actually made a good call there. Of course, he made plenty of other questionable decisions.

You do have to place a decent amount of blame on the players. They had opportunities to score a runner from 3rd with less than 2outs in the 1st and 2nd inning (in addition to the late game chances) and failed.

Archived