2019 Judi Garmin Classic Fullerton, California

2 hours ago, wildling said:

That was definitely one of the rare spots where a SAC bunt could be good. The problem is I don't think Perry is that great of a bunter (she had 3 SH last year, none in 2017 or this year), and Alvelo is a pretty tough pitcher to bunt off of. A lefty contact pinch hitter (ie Maresette) would have been ideal, she was of course starting. So I think CMD actually made a good call there. Of course, he made plenty of other questionable decisions.

You do have to place a decent amount of blame on the players. They had opportunities to score a runner from 3rd with less than 2outs in the 1st and 2nd inning (in addition to the late game chances) and failed.

Didn't see the game...just radio...but all we really needed to do to win the game ...twice ….was have someone put the bat on the ball...bunt, half swing or whatever....squeeze with bases loaded and no outs.....a variety of options IMO.   

As for MM....not putting all that on her....starting the OT innings with runner on second made it more difficult ….only difference between her and UW's ace was they were able to advance their runners and score. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We scored more runs on Washington than any team has yet I think. Florida and Washington are 0-0 in the seventh right now. Some top teams lost today...Georgia and LSU lost. I’m bummed we lost but I feel better about our team than when the weekend started.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Didn't see the game...just radio...but all we really needed to do to win the game ...twice ….was have someone put the bat on the ball...bunt, half swing or whatever....squeeze with bases loaded and no outs.....a variety of options IMO.  

Those aren't guaranteed to work, UW has a pretty good defense and would obviously be trying to make the play at home, you would need good placement if you're going for soft contact. With hard contact, you can force errors or just get the ball through.

18 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The line came up on LiveStats "McCrackin stole second" and I thought, "All right!  He didn't try to send Maresette this time."  Then the next line came up. Hey Mickey, that high school play isn't going to work against good teams.

It seldom works in high school either, or against the better-coached 13-15 year old rec league teams. The teams that works against, you're probably going to beat anyway.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It seldom works in high school either, or against the better-coached 13-15 year old rec league teams. The teams that works against, you're probably going to beat anyway.

Yet they managed to beat us with infield hits...:dunno: just putting the ball in play..

Overall, very encouraged by what I saw yesterday in both games. Yes, they could have and should have won the second game against Washington. A terrible call at the plate in the 7th (from what I heard from those actually at the game) cost us a run and tied the game but we also had our chances and weren’t able to capitalize. But I still believe that there are so many more positive than negative takeaways from the performance of these young ladies. It’s the second time they’ve had to play 4 games in less than 24 hours (or so) in a 7 day period. And the game against Washington was the last of the 4 game stretch for us and the first of the tournament for Washington. If you saw or followed Florida’s game against the Huskies last night, Florida did not fair well at all against Alvelo with only 4 hits and 15!!! K’s. We had a total of 9 hits and 8 K’s (not sure the split between Alvelo and Plain). So proud of this team and the heart and fight that they have shown. Easy for us to sit back after the fact and question decisions by the coach or even the players but did anyone really think this game would even come to the wire? Based on comments I’ve read from various places, this team was done after losing 2 in Gulf Shores.  One of the auburn sports sites even posted a poll to ask folks if they were even interested anymore in auburn softball coverage after their 2 losses in Gulf Shores. This was only 5 games into the season!  Still many games to be played but I really like what I’ve seen so far.

3 hours ago, wildling said:

Those aren't guaranteed to work, UW has a pretty good defense and would obviously be trying to make the play at home, you would need good placement if you're going for soft contact. With hard contact, you can force errors or just get the ball through.

There's the thing that people don't seem to realize: "Just bunt the runner over" is not automatic. I've seen a lot of bunts result in a soft liner back to the pitcher for an easy DP.  Or two fouled bunt attempts result in taking the bat out of your hitter's hands. Not every player can be a skilled bunter. It's a knack as much as an acquired skill and probably no more than three or four on any team have that knack. If there's a good hitter at the plate, your team is better off hitting away. Then there's the softball rule that the runner can't leave base until the ball reaches the plate. That rule makes it a lot easier to get the lead runner.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's the thing that people don't seem to realize: "Just bunt the runner over" is not automatic. I've seen a lot of bunts result in a soft liner back to the pitcher for an easy DP.  Or two fouled bunt attempts result in taking the bat out of your hitter's hands. Not every player can be a skilled bunter. It's a knack as much as an acquired skill and probably no more than three or four on any team have that knack. If there's a good hitter at the plate, your team is better off hitting away. Then there's the softball rule that the runner can't leave base until the ball reaches the plate. That rule makes it a lot easier to get the lead runner.

Agree...nothing is guaranteed to work....but when you are the underdog or lesser team you have to push the limits a bit..JMO….and against a K pitcher,?       CMD has been willing to bunt a various times all year and maybe that is what pinch hitters are for?    But hey....it's baseball,  well it's softball...and second-guessing the manager is part of the deal.

The gals did great yesterday...was nice to see them wear out Oregon and give UW a run for their money.   Will be following the games today if I can.

Went back to look (Flosoftball replay) at the top of 6th last out where Washington batter executed a great bunt down first base line. Veach sprang up and ran a couple of steps forward to bare hand the ball and while still leaning forward threw off of one leg to get runner at first. Very close play. Their runner had great speed. Also excellent coverage by Crack to cover 1st. One of the best executions I have seen this year.

Looks like 60% - 70% chances for "light showers - rain" for the entire day in Fullerton.                                                             

Washington was in the same situation as Auburn in the eighth last night. Runners on first and third with no outs. They were unable to get the runner on third home to tie the game. Guess it’s not as easy as it looks.

1 hour ago, AUSBFAN said:

Overall, very encouraged by what I saw yesterday in both games. Yes, they could have and should have won the second game against Washington. A terrible call at the plate in the 7th (from what I heard from those actually at the game) cost us a run and tied the game but we also had our chances and weren’t able to capitalize. But I still believe that there are so many more positive than negative takeaways from the performance of these young ladies. It’s the second time they’ve had to play 4 games in less than 24 hours (or so) in a 7 day period. And the game against Washington was the last of the 4 game stretch for us and the first of the tournament for Washington. If you saw or followed Florida’s game against the Huskies last night, Florida did not fair well at all against Alvelo with only 4 hits and 15!!! K’s. We had a total of 9 hits and 8 K’s (not sure the split between Alvelo and Plain). So proud of this team and the heart and fight that they have shown. Easy for us to sit back after the fact and question decisions by the coach or even the players but did anyone really think this game would even come to the wire? Based on comments I’ve read from various places, this team was done after losing 2 in Gulf Shores.  One of the auburn sports sites even posted a poll to ask folks if they were even interested anymore in auburn softball coverage after their 2 losses in Gulf Shores. This was only 5 games into the season!  Still many games to be played but I really like what I’ve seen so far.

Damn good post.  

2 minutes ago

🚨 Unfortunately, this morning’s game against No. 2 has been called off due to weather in the Fullerton area. 🚨 The Tigers will return to action on Thursday at 6 PM against at Jane B. Moore Field

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

2 minutes ago

🚨 Unfortunately, this morning’s game against No. 2 has been called off due to weather in the Fullerton area. 🚨 The Tigers will return to action on Thursday at 6 PM against at Jane B. Moore Field

Thanks.....was a tough schedule for the weekend out there and guess I'm not that disappointed that the ladies can return home early. 

Overall, seems like a very successful trip to the west coast.....

UCLA didn't want any part of us lol.  Successful trip IMO. Our hitting held up for the most part, just needed to get the timely hit.  I think the OT rules should adjust to a player on 1st instead of 2nd. Still let the offense earn it somewhat. Basically 1 hit scores a run with a player on 2nd. I don't think the initial runner on 2nd in OT should count towards pitching ERA since that runner is basically un earned. If the batter eventually scores than yes. 

Michigan State bookends this next tourney in Auburn.  Haven't done a full scout, but I know that uat (ranked #5) beat them only 2-1 yesterday.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The rule is the runner cannot leave the base until the pitcher releases the ball (not when the ball reaches the plate).  A slight difference from what you stated but still not a lead off like in baseball.

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

UCLA didn't want any part of us lol.  Successful trip IMO. Our hitting held up for the most part, just needed to get the timely hit.  I think the OT rules should adjust to a player on 1st instead of 2nd. Still let the offense earn it somewhat. Basically 1 hit scores a run with a player on 2nd. I don't think the initial runner on 2nd in OT should count towards pitching ERA since that runner is basically un earned. If the batter eventually scores than yes. 

That International Tiebreaker rule has been in place for years. The point is to break the tie quickly.  It was developed for tournament play with timed games and to keep tournaments on schedule.  Putting the runner on first sets up the double play which more than likely would extend the game.  

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then there's the softball rule that the runner can't leave base until the ball reaches the plate.

🤣  I'm sorry, but that's just too good to pass up.  I think the only sanctioning body still using that rule is Dixie Softball 8 and under division.

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

That International Tiebreaker rule has been in place for years. The point is to break the tie quickly.  It was developed for tournament play with timed games and to keep tournaments on schedule.  Putting the runner on first sets up the double play which more than likely would extend the game.  

This is why it’s still used today. It was originally utilized to end scoreless games that could go on for an ungodly amount of innings. Offense in fast pitch softball has come a long way. 

15 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

The rule is the runner cannot leave the base until the pitcher releases the ball (not when the ball reaches the plate).  A slight difference from what you stated but still not a lead off like in baseball.

Well, that changed sometime in the last 50 years! (Yes, it's been that long since I was involved with softball in a capacity other than spectator) Thanks for the info.

I'm sure none of you could sleep last night, wondering how much difference there is in the two situations.  A Lexie Handley 70 mph smokeball requires 0.39 seconds to travel 40 feet, an estimated distance to the plate.  A 50 mph changeup, however, needs a molasses-like 0.55 seconds to make the same journey.  So a baserunnerr who can guess the change has a full sixth of a second extra to steal that base.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'm sure none of you could sleep last night, wondering how much difference there is in the two situations.  A Lexie Handley 70 mph smokeball requires 0.39 seconds to travel 40 feet, an estimated distance to the plate.  A 50 mph changeup, however, needs a molasses-like 0.55 seconds to make the same journey.  So a baserunnerr who can guess the change has a full sixth of a second extra to steal that base.

Did you mean 1/16?  That's a lot of time......you could almost blink in 1/16th of a second.  

Also, noticed Michigan won against both UCLA and Washington.

No , 1/6th of a second.  .55 minus .39 = .16.  That's about a sixth of a second.

Michigan had some rather bad losses early.  Surprised they were able to beat two Top 10 teams.  Hutchins has some magic, I guess.

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

No , 1/6th of a second.  .55 minus .39 = .16.  That's about a sixth of a second.

Michigan had some rather bad losses early.  Surprised they were able to beat two Top 10 teams.  Hutchins has some magic, I guess.

Thanks for the clarification.  Had to put my mind into math mode. Agree about Michigan.  Going into the Judi Garmin Classic, on paper they did not look like any kind of a threat to those teams.  

Archived