SEC Softball Tournament

The bracket is out: http://www.secsports.com/bracket/softball

We play Mizzou Wednesday at 3:00, with the winner facing Tennessee Thursday. Honestly, with the way we are playing, I don’t like our chances against any SEC team. But, I do like Mizzou and potentially UT better than a pod with Florida, Georgia, Bama, Kentucky, or LSU.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd bet Missouri feels the same too....beat Auburn and move on....if we don't win, I don't see us in the NCAA tourney...

20 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I'd bet Missouri feels the same too....beat Auburn and move on....if we don't win, I don't see us in the NCAA tourney...

At 35-18 we'll be in. The problem is the fact that we don't seem to be able to score any runs right now, and probably won't go very far

I'm struggling with the thought.

Do we want to get in?  Have they earned a trip to the NCAA?

I know they have worked hard, but without some signs of life, I'm not sure I want them to go to the tourney and lose to USC-Spartanburg or such.

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I'm struggling with the thought.

Do we want to get in?  Have they earned a trip to the NCAA?

I know they have worked hard, but without some signs of life, I'm not sure I want them to go to the tourney and lose to USC-Spartanburg or such.

Why would we ever want an AU team to miss the post season?

Thanks for ruining and blowing up the whole program Corey Myers................ Softball used to be one of the most fun times of the sports calendar. It is just painful now.

This year has been a disappointment for all, the seniors especially.  They deserve a chance at the tournament.  Has anything been said about Martin returning for the tournament or is she done for the year?  It will be a shame if she can't play.  Since she has graduated I don't see her trying to get a redshirt.  

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thanks for ruining and blowing up the whole program Corey Myers................ Softball used to be one of the most fun times of the sports calendar. It is just painful now.

For a brief, four-year period Auburn softball was competitive. Before Clint Myers came, AU softball games were a place with free admission, fenced, where one could take young children, turn them loose and gossip with other adults who were doing the same. Sometimes AU won, but not that often and it wasn't a big deal one way or the other.

AU softball had a brief, sky-high rise followed by a meteoric fall back to where we were before Clint came here. My biggest question is if admission will return to being free? I have five or six granddaughters that I'll start bringing to the games if/when free admission returns.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

For a brief, four-year period Auburn softball was competitive. Before Clint Myers came, AU softball games were a place with free admission, fenced, where one could take young children, turn them loose and gossip with other adults who were doing the same. Sometimes AU won, but not that often and it wasn't a big deal one way or the other.

AU softball had a brief, sky-high rise followed by a meteoric fall back to where we were before Clint came here. My biggest question is if admission will return to being free? I have five or six granddaughters that I'll start bringing to the games if/when free admission returns.

I doubt we will see free admission again.  Although the income is minimal in the scope of the cost of the program, admission does help.  

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I rather Dean turn it around in a big way next year since we obviously are not gonna fire him after only 2 years or after next season Hire a proven great coach like we did with Myers again. And then become a hot commodity like we were during the Myers run. I do not want to go back to the way it was.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not want to go back to the way it was.

Seems like that ship may have already sailed., at least for awhile.

I also hope that Dean can turn things around, but don't see that happening. Hope he proves me wrong.

The crash in offensive production is kind of baffling. One example: First half of the season, plate discipline for Rivera (probably the most athletically gifted player on the team) was much, much improved from last year. Last half of the season, her bat looks like a helicopter blade flying around at the plate---"Swing hard, you might hit it" approach.

The million dollar question is: Is it coaching or have the players just said to heck with it ?

WDE ! Get things together and win the SEC Tourney Tigers !

My theory is that it all goes back to Mak’s injury. For the first few weeks after the injury, with the thought that she would be back in about 3-4 weeks, the team rallied together and was able to find success. Then when it became less and less likely that Mak would be back, at all, everyone started playing tight. Much more pressure on pitching to be perfect and much more pressure on the offense to score lots of runs.  As the offense had some struggles, as does happen to most teams at some point in the season, the spiral began. If our pitchers give up a few runs, then offense presses too hard, and the more they press, well, you know how that goes. I keep reading folks comment that it wouldn’t  matter if Mak was back or not, because “we can’t score runs anyway”. But in fact, it’s all related (at least in my non expert humble opinion). Not blaming Mak or using it as an excuse for the team, but for me, her absence on the field precipitated the mental decline of the team. The ability and talent of course is still there.  And hopefully they can refocus and pull out a few wins this week.  I still believe! 

The weather forecast for College Station does not look good. I hope they can get all 12 tournament games in. 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I rather Dean turn it around in a big way

Yes, of course, that's what I'd like too. I just don't think it's in the cards. Lets hope I'm wrong.

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pay up Gramps!  Those granddaughters won't give a fig about hanging out with you when they get older, so enjoy 'em NOW.

Mak's injury was a tough blow, no doubt, but a solid team does not completely implode after losing one player.  There are definitely deeper issues here.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Pay up Gramps!  Those granddaughters won't give a fig about hanging out with you when they get older, so enjoy 'em NOW.

We've been shooting guns, riding horses and fishing. Also catching some AU women's basketball games, so all is not lost.  There are 12 grandchildren and nine of them are girls. A few years ago I had all nine at an AU women's basketball game, ages 16 through 3 at the time. That was a TRIP! :)

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Mak's injury was a tough blow, no doubt, but a solid team does not completely implode after losing one player.  There are definitely deeper issues here.

Makes me wonder if they have very little true player leadership within the team.  A few years ago, it "felt" like some of those great players were also great team leaders.  That can matter in sports, but a lot more in girls sports, at least in my experience.

8 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Did we not play today?

Rain delay. Florida/South Carolina resume at 6:00 central in the second inning. AU should begin around 8:30ish if there are no more delays. 

8 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Did we not play today?

Looks like lots of rain. Don't know how many, if any, games will be completed today. 

Anyone know if the tournament will be extended if the bad weather continues?

I'm glad we drew an early game. I don't know if the 3rd and 4th games will get played tonight.  That means the winners of those  games will play 2 tomorrow if the weather holds up. 

Wait...  I just saw the guy in the stands behind the plate drinking a Bud Light.  I guess they sell beer in the stadium at College Station. 

Archived