Miss St star opines on scholarships & a 3rd coach

Saw interesting article that was written after MSU was bounced out of the CWS. It was a plea from their best player Magnum, for college baseball to make improvements, including adding more scholarships and a 3rd assistant coach. He said basically, baseball has gotten big enough that the NCAA needs to do things to elevate the sport. Here is that article. What do you think?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/jake-mangum-makes-impassioned-plea-for-improvements-in-college-baseball/

• ellitor changed the title to Miss St star opines on adding schollies & a 3rd coach in baseball

Wow

good on him.  I wonder what the rationale is behind not increasing schollys or third assistant?  I know you gotta increase the women’s side along with the men’s but that should be well received.

17 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I wonder what the rationale is behind not increasing schollys

You answered that in your next sentence.

18 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I know you gotta increase the women’s side

Not sure what sports are left out there to add for women in most of the P5 conferences to get more schollies for baseball or if conference feel it's even financially feasible. Even still, the 11.7 is an NCAAlimit on baseball.

14 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Wow

good on him.  I wonder what the rationale is behind not increasing schollys or third assistant?  I know you gotta increase the women’s side along with the men’s but that should be well received.

Lots of discussion about in on sports talk......basically complaints that college baseball is "too white" and kids "too well off" …thus the NCAA has no sympathy to put more money into the sport.  Schools that want to do well have to figure it out for themselves with supplement academic scholarships or whatever.  

Heard a couple interviews with HCs from Vandy and Michigan....both expressed concern about the need for more "diversity" and presumption was that more scholly's might help....encourage low draft choice minority kids to go to college instead of turn pro I guess.......but both were pretty sure that nothing was gonna happen.  The situation seems to be going in the wrong direction as far as diversity.....noticing that many of the historically black schools now have a substantial number of white kids on their baseball team....some look to have white or Hispanic majority rosters.  

I’m sure I’m missing something, but why couldn’t they simply add 8 scholly’s to Baseball to bring to 19.7 and add 8 to Softball to bring to 20? I know SB don’t all carry full rosters but I’m assuming most if not all carry 20. You’d fulfill the Title IX requirement and I’m sure SB programs would welcome the additional scholly’s. That added number can be whatever you want it to be and I just choose the two men’s and women’s sports that I’ve heard complaints on number of NCAA allowed scholarships. Not sure how you handle if there is no SB programs (Vandy) or Baseball (Wisconsin and Colorado come to mind of P5 schools without). Curious to see your thoughts and as I said, I’m sure I’m missing something because this seems too simple of a solution. 

2 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

I’m sure I’m missing something, but why couldn’t they simply add 8 scholly’s to Baseball to bring to 19.7 and add 8 to Softball to bring to 20?

It's not that simple. For one, not every school has a softball program. For example, Vandy doesn't. 2. I'm not sure it's one for 1 girls scholly to guys scholly like that. Just read the rest of  your post. You covered the rest of the of the complexities with other schools not having certain sports. It's not necessarily easily financially feasible for schools to start new sports.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not that simple. For one, not every school has a softball program. For example, Vandy doesn't. 2. I'm not sure it's one for 1 girls scholly to guys scholly like that. Just read the rest of  your post. You covered there rest of the of the complexities with other schools not having certain sports. It's not necessarily easily financially feasible for schools to start new sports.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not necessarily easily financially feasible for schools to start new sports.

Absolutely.....more than 90% of NCAA athletic programs are subsidized from student fees.  Adding another 5 scholarships for baseball and softball each sounds easy enough except most schools would be talking about increased spending of $300K -500K with no corresponding increase in income from the sport or the scholarships.     Adding a new sport or adding scholarships to existing sports is pretty much prohibitive at most schools.    

Okay, thank you for answering and as I said, I knew it wasn’t as simple as I conveyed. Additionally, I think I’m jaded to the financials of P5 and in particular, SEC schools because in the grand scheme of things $300-$500 K to a bottom line is a rounding error. Not every school/conference has the luxury of the SECNETWORK and the $ it generates for each member institution. 

Thank you again for your insights/comments.  As a former D1 athlete and parent of a student athlete, I wish it was that easy. War Eagle and keep up the great feedback you both provide. 

57 minutes ago, HitandRun5 said:

Okay, thank you for answering and as I said, I knew it wasn’t as simple as I conveyed. Additionally, I think I’m jaded to the financials of P5 and in particular, SEC schools because in the grand scheme of things $300-$500 K to a bottom line is a rounding error. Not every school/conference has the luxury of the SECNETWORK and the $ it generates for each member institution. 

Thank you again for your insights/comments.  As a former D1 athlete and parent of a student athlete, I wish it was that easy. War Eagle and keep up the great feedback you both provide. 

You're welcome & thanks for posting. Now don't go hitting & running so to speak. Stick around & post more often.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You're welcome & thanks for posting. Now don't go hitting & running so to speak. Stick around & post more often.

Haha. You got it!  I love the Board and I’m impressed with those that do post often. Love the passion and comments. I’ll tell you one thing, I’m certainly glad I’m not a coach at Auburn. Lol. 

I saw his interview live. What I get from thinking it through is this: If the NCAA wants more diversity, they'll have to add scholarships. Saying baseball is "too white and middle class" and using that to limit scholarship numbers is counter productive. Lower scholarship numbers cuts out the kids who can't afford to pay part of their own way.

Vandy has a nationally prominent female bowling team that won a natty a few years back. They can add scholarships to that for women, for example. There are ways to do this, it's just a matter of the right people wanting to get it done.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Title IX is the devil.

and evidently student/athlete economic diversity within the different sports. Geez....

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I saw his interview live. What I get from thinking it through is this: If the NCAA wants more diversity, they'll have to add scholarships. Saying baseball is "too white and middle class" and using that to limit scholarship numbers is counter productive. Lower scholarship numbers cuts out the kids who can't afford to pay part of their own way.

Vandy has a nationally prominent female bowling team that won a natty a few years back. They can add scholarships to that for women, for example. There are ways to do this, it's just a matter of the right people wanting to get it done.

The issue is that it's necessary to have more good minority baseball players at the HS level.  Popularity of baseball is much lower now, especially among black kids who seem to  prefer basketball and football where they see more players to identify with.    Add more baseball scholarship at the college level right now and you are just gonna be giving them to mostly white kids.  

Take a look at the Florida A and M team picture for baseball...a historically black school with mostly white players    Alabama State with about half of team being Latino.      The whole diversity plan has to begin at the lower levels of school.   Baseball has tried inner city baseball programs with very little success...too expensive and just not popular.  Historically black schools want to be competitive, get to Omaha or whatever and are going after the best available ballplayers, regardless of race.

Sure they can find a way to give out the added scholarships at most schools ….but I'm betting in male or female sports, at most schools,   it will be white kids getting the aid.....which does nothing to deal wit the diversity goals that I hear discussed.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

It’s interesting he talked about it. I’m not sure how it works, but the White Sox have inner city baseball program that awards financial scholarships to athletes in the program. It’s based on talent level and academics. I

As a matter of fact, Michigan has at least two players (2B and CF, for sure) that are part of this White Sox program. Both kids played at inner city private HS, Morgan Academy and traditional powerhouse Mount Carmel. One of the announcers talked about the program on-air and mentioned how they wouldn’t have this opportunity without the program. Since it’s inception, the program has awarded more than 150 scholarships. Not sure how Michigan tapped into it, but I thought it was a great program targeting inner city baseball players in Chicago.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, oracle79 said:

Title IX is the devil.

Title IX was created to fix a real inequity in the way Woman's sports were funded versus Men's sports.  The basic idea behind it is correct but not well thought out. At P5 schools the money making Sport is football which has 85 Scholarships if you are going to have to match scholarships on a one to one basis you have to eliminate a lot of men's scholarships to make up the fact that you have 85 Football scholarships. Because football is the money maker no school that is making money off of football will give up  football scholarships. If instead of saying one to one scholarships you said you had to match one to one on all none football scholarships for Universities that have football and a percentage of the the football scholarships maybe something like 70% to 80% (60-68 scholarships). If you were to change it to that there would have to be a stipulation that no current woman's scholarships would be lost to reach that 70% to 80% number. Another words for schools that fund football they could add anywhere from 17-25  men's scholarships depending on number selected  without women losing any. Schools that don't have football would still have to be a one to one match. 

The one thing I don't understand in the minor sports both male and female with the amount of money in the academic budget because of TV money why the University won't waive the out of State tuition that would help all the minor sports. 

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Title IX was created to fix a real inequity in the way Woman's sports were funded versus Men's sports.  The basic idea behind it is correct but not well thought out. At P5 schools the money making Sport is football which has 85 Scholarships if you are going to have to match scholarships on a one to one basis you have to eliminate a lot of men's scholarships to make up the fact that you have 85 Football scholarships. Because football is the money maker no school that is making money off of football will give up  football scholarships. If instead of saying one to one scholarships you said you had to match one to one on all none football scholarships for Universities that have football and a percentage of the the football scholarships maybe something like 70% to 80% (60-68 scholarships). If you were to change it to that there would have to be a stipulation that no current woman's scholarships would be lost to reach that 70% to 80% number. Another words for schools that fund football they could add anywhere from 17-25  men's scholarships depending on number selected  without women losing any. Schools that don't have football would still have to be a one to one match. 

The one thing I don't understand in the minor sports both male and female with the amount of money in the academic budget because of TV money why the University won't waive the out of State tuition that would help all the minor sports. 

All of that makes perfect sense .>EXCEPT....the issue for the NCAA is not about how to add scholarships for baseball ….its about finding ways to increase scholarships that increase the diversity of college sports....which means scholarships that would go to minority students.   I'm pretty sure adding scholarships for baseball or softball would not accomplish that goal.  A few might go to minority students but is not likely to have much impact until more young black athletes learn the game of baseball well enough to earn the scholarhips….so the NCAA is not gonna push the issue.   This is a social issue, not a financial issue. 

Archived