Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

Figured this goes here since he’s tied at the hip to Gus’s contract. 

https://www.wsfa.com/2019/06/22/steven-leath-auburn-university-part-ways/

Steven Leath, Auburn University to ‘part ways’

Leath served as president of the university since 2017

AUBURN, Ala. (WSFA) - Auburn University President Steven Leath is stepping down, the university announced Friday.

According to the university, Leath and members of the Board of Trustees’ presidential assessment working group, “mutually decided to part ways after extensive discussions about the university’s leadership.”

“Dr. Leath arrived with vision and enthusiasm to take Auburn to the next level,” said Wayne T. Smith, president pro tempore of the university’s board. “We’re grateful for his dedication and commitment as Auburn made strides as a world-class public university. We wish Steve and Janet all the best.”

Leath has served as Auburn University’s president since 2017.

“As I’ve said many times, serving as Auburn’s president has been the highlight of my career,” said Leath. “I’m confident we leave Auburn stronger than when we arrived.”

The Auburn Board will soon convene to name an interim president, according to Smith.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUTigerCourt said:

What happened for this to come out at 10pm on a Friday night?! 

Great question.

Certainly surprised. I see it's being reported that's it was mutual. Seems to come at an odd time. 

Does this put even more  pressure on Gus?

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Yup! He just lost his life jacket for next season should he not meet expectations.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! He just lost his life jacket for next season should he not meet expectations.

Wow. I'm excited and scared at the same time about this season. Excited in regards to the fact i think we have a lot of good talent. Scared in regards to the fact that our schedule is hell and well....Gus. Just have to see how this all plays out. One thing is for sure...Auburn doesn't lack when it comes to drama!

Dr. Leath was hired by the BoT in a farce of a search that lacked transparency and revealed numerous flaws in his past positions that seemed to be overlooked. He never fully embraced the Auburn community.  Auburn University’s rise to a Tier 1 research institute under his tenure is an accomplishment but one that was well on its way during Gogue’s administration. Not sure if his leaving is athletics related or not, but I hope the BoT does a better job conducting a search this time around 

Told ya all he was a piece of **** stop evading the profanity filter.  Wished they didn’t give him the luxury of being a Friday night news dump though.

I've said it before, a university's president has more on his plate than athletics. But this departure sure seems ominous...

35 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Certainly surprised. I see it's being reported that's it was mutual. Seems to come at an odd time. 

If by mutual you mean he was told to GTFO and he replied, "Ok," then yes, it was mutual.

I think this has veey little to do with athletics or Gus. The hate on CGM is something special and I don't mean that as a compliment.

10 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Dr. Leath was hired by the BoT in a farce of a search that lacked transparency and revealed numerous flaws in his past positions that seemed to be overlooked. He never fully embraced the Auburn community. Auburn University’s rise to a Tier 1 research institute under his tenure is an accomplishment but one that was well on its way during Gogue’s administration. Not sure if his leaving is athletics related or not, but I hope the BoT does a better job conducting a search this time around 

Good points. Never seemed to be a good fit for Auburn either.

37 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't think so. I don't think Leath was in any position to help Gus since he was struggling to survive himself.

I think we will have a decent season in 2019, assuming the quarterbacks stay healthy and perform, but the wheels come off in 2020, and that is when the pressure really mounts.

I think it is all about the contract and the buy out associated with terminating it early. The contract is why Gus is still our coach, and the contract is almost certainly one of the reasons Leath is gone.

Just now, tbone4jc said:

I think this has veey little to do with athletics or Gus.

You would be incorrect. Leath Got it from all sides. The Academic arm of AU couldn't stand him. Athletics also played a factor as well, particularly that insanely stupid $49 mil contract with a $32 mil buyout he negotiated without AU having an AD. And more so for some Leath being inches away from firing Bruce shortly after the Person scandal went public pissed many people off. AD Greene had to practically beg Leath not to fire Bruce. There are a good number of people that will never forget him trying to give Bruce the shaft & always hold it against him.

3 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I don't think so. I don't think Leath was in any position to help Gus since he was struggling to survive himself.

As long as Leath was President, with the support of Harbart, He was in a position to slow a move on Gus.

Archived