Gus, Bus, Magic Bus... Gus Bus

toddc

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just don’t feel like our offensive strategy is sustainable. We can’t  trick play our way to victory all season. I mean look at the stat line, for crying out loud. It’s pathetic. There has got to be some kind of more in depth game plan. We have to get Bo more involved with a passing game and he has to hit his targets. 

With all that being said, I’m glad we won and I’m proud of the effort the team put forth. The front 7 is championship level dominant. The secondary tackles well, but they give up a lot of passes. War Eagle!

We had a little trickery but it was a solid game plan all in all. That is a very good run stop D and they were gonna blitz Bo a lot. Gus schemed the perimeter run plan and also didn’t wear Boobee out so he’d be fresh in the end and he was. Bo was involved in the passing game obviously and him overthrowing the deep passes has nothing to do with the play calls or plan. Matter of fact, the play call was correct, dude just has to calm down and make those throws. At least two of those were easy td’s, maybe 3. Hit even one and the stats you are looking for are there. 

Bird and Flex thanks for the intelligent football conversation.  Most don’t understand the big picture, but that is fandom.

This was a great road win!

the freshman quarterback excuse stuff is beyond stupid, he earned the right to be a starter because he was capable.  If he was just given the job and didn’t earn it it would apply.  His football IQ is one of his best tangibles.

Saw basically the same play calling as all the other games and not the magical opening it up.  Better execution.

Running game was shutdown from the rb position.  24/81. 3.4 yds per carry.

Schwartz call was perfectly executed.

A@M wr made some amazing catches and adjustments, credit to DC?  

Brown MVP of game.

disappointed in Gus’s sideline behavior and treatment of Hill.  Was not a good look, he lost it. Personally I am not ever a fan of an adult behaving like that to player at any level from pros to 6 yr olds during a game.  In private or practice got no problem with that.

106 yds passing........

scoring drives 75, 69, 46 and 38.  57 ya td run on first drive and 4 plays, 12-69, 6-46, 6-38.  Not a sign of offensive sustained success.

Defense won us this game but spent too much time on the field.

the last td drive was clutch and well done by Gus.

Bo seems to have that unique ability to make a play when u really need one at a higher percentage than most qbs.

this team has had the ability to win games on 3 occasions while completely disappearing for large parts of each game, gotta give them credit for finding a way and/or surviving these games.  Trust and love of your teammates and belief in the coaches play into this, props to Gus and the staff on this.

we are 4-0 which is what matters.  We all can see that we have a lot of room for improvement especially on offense, but let’s be happy they have been able to do just enough to get us victories.   It is great to be 4-0, folks!!!!!

Some very childish insults being tossed around between posters in this thread. Can't figure out how that stuff flies between adults. Not a good look for some of you. 

What is was...

It was just one win and another step toward what I thought every one of us wanted. To win them all. That's pretty much all that was required for it to be.

What it wasn't...

It wasn't the game that solved all of our problems. Many from years past are still there. That same effort by coaches and players won't beat the best teams we still have to play....but they can build on this one

It wasn't always pretty but it got the job done. Statistics are telling but there are also for the losing side to argue. We know the score counts in the end. 

It wasn't a loss which is the best thing about it period. I don't really care if this team blows an SEC team out or squeaks by them. Whether we win ugly, pretty, lucky or controversially I don't care anymore. Just win. 

You don't have to beat your opponent for the entire sixty minutes. You just have to beat them in the minutes that matter within those sixty minutes. War Eagle. Go back to arguing if you must. The next exam is Saturday and we have a "A" currently. I'm good with that. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Lol, I think I've become slightly crankier in my ripe old age of 26, so I'm not as accepting of the crow.

You are the best football poster on the board....i get a tingle up my leg when i see that you made a post

37 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

You are the best football poster on the board....i get a tingle up my leg when i see that you made a post

Definitely better than down your leg

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

You should

OK genius. You quote the person who stated we don't need improvement. 

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Bird and Flex thanks for the intelligent football conversation.  Most don’t understand the big picture, but that is fandom. :lmao:

the freshman quarterback excuse stuff is beyond stupid, he earned the right to be a starter because he was capable.  If he was just given the job and didn’t earn it it would apply.  His football IQ is one of his best tangibles.

Saw basically the same play calling as all the other games and not the magical opening it up.  Better execution.

Brown MVP of game.

disappointed in Gus’s sideline behavior and treatment of Hill.  Was not a good look, he lost it. Personally I am not ever a fan of an adult behaving like that to player at any level from pros to 6 yr olds during a game.  In private or practice got no problem with that.

106 yds passing........

scoring drives 75, 69, 46 and 38.  57 ya td run on first drive and 4 plays, 12-69, 6-46, 6-38.  Not a sign of offensive sustained success.

Bo seems to have that unique ability to make a play when u really need one at a higher percentage than most qbs.

this team has had the ability to win games on 3 occasions while completely disappearing for large parts of each game, gotta give them credit for finding a way and/or surviving these games.  Trust and love of your teammates and belief in the coaches play into this, props to Gus and the staff on this.

we are 4-0 which is what matters.  We all can see that we have a lot of room for improvement especially on offense, but let’s be happy they have been able to do just enough to get us victories.   It is great to be 4-0, folks!!!!!

Other than one obvious ignorant statement, I'll give you credit for a good summary. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Lol, I think I've become slightly crankier in my ripe old age of 26, so I'm not as accepting of the crow.

Lol, I was your age when you were born.......Which means when your my age I'll be somewhere over the rainbow.......geez what a way to start my morning. 

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

Lol, I was your age when you were born.......Which means when your my age I'll be somewhere over the rainbow.......geez what a way to start my morning. 

Never wanna begin the day by contemplating mortality...

But all that being said.....

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:
  9 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I just don’t feel like our offensive strategy is sustainable. We can’t  trick play our way to victory all season. I mean look at the stat line, for crying out loud. It’s pathetic. There has got to be some kind of more in depth game plan. We have to get Bo more involved with a passing game and he has to hit his targets. 

With all that being said, I’m glad we won and I’m proud of the effort the team put forth. The front 7 is championship level dominant. The secondary tackles well, but they give up a lot of passes. War Eagle!

This is my point. 

The identity of the team is still yet to be seen and we haven't seen much proliferation on any front. That being said, we're moving with a passing QB with mobility. Ok. That means our yardage and statlines need to reflect that otherwise the season boils down to running into a brick wall multiple times till it falls. 

I have no idea what the season will hold. Maybe Gus can capture some ol AU magic dust and turn the season into a winning one that way, but one thing is for sure, it'll be the hallmark Auburn cardiac cats playstyle we've become accustomed to.

26 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:
  3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Bird and Flex thanks for the intelligent football conversation.  Most don’t understand the big picture, but that is fandom. 

Brown MVP of game.

106 yds passing........

The defense won't continually be able to be stressed like this. I'm shocked with our DL depth that we can even continue to field them because there isn't enough subbing and swapping them out in waves to really give any of them a good spell. 

I find our ability to cobble together wins uncanny. But one thing I do note is that the same play-calling that we are hailing as great would not have been if we were playing from behind. Its easier to keep a lead than it is to outright make a comeback. Against prepared teams that falls short. (Obviously Oregon wouldn't be in that sample because they didn't have prep time to watch our film and know what we'd do.)

10 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Disagree…...Can't help what the cameras catch but   ...you do it when it happens,  not two days later....could have cost us a TD.    Same with his rant with Nix last week....gotta insist on doing it right....and not let a bad decision slide just because the play worked anyway.    

Re comments on the DL.....think we have some injured players and that has affected substituting.....some of the more well known guys "missing in action" for parts of the game.

Thought it was a great win.  It was a win to build confidence and keep momentum moving forward.    Are there things that need correcting, absolutely.   You would have to be blind not to see that some things need work.    

At the end of the day, a win is why you play the game.   Until AU can find an explosive passing game,  this type of game or win is how I see this season playing out.   

On a side note,  number 5 needs to running deep post patterns several times a game.  No one can run with him.   

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Disagree…...Can't help what the cameras catch but   ...you do it when it happens,  not two days later....could have cost us a TD.    Same with his rant with Nix last week....gotta insist on doing it right....and not let a bad decision slide just because the play worked anyway.    

Re comments on the DL.....think we have some injured players and that has affected substituting.....some of the more well known guys "missing in action" for parts of the game.

You can address it at the time without looking like a lunatic and being a total disaster.  

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

You can address it at the time without looking like a lunatic and being a total disaster.  

Funny that when Muschamp went bananas over just about everything, everyone loved his "passion"....:dunno:    I'm liking that Gus is demanding excellence...JMO

We were a four-point underdog, won the game by eight and there's still a bunch of whining and squeaking. I don't think it's possible for AU to play a game, win or lose, when the keyboard warriors don't come around screeching with the "but we shoulda' and if we had" and "oh but next week" stuff.

That 4th quarter drive was a thing of beauty. Conservative, safe play calls, cram it down their throats for 69 yards behind an O-line that's clicking, over six minutes of time and cap it off with a TD. There's no better way to win a game than that.

Just now, AU64 said:

Funny that when Muschamp went bananas over just about everything, everyone loved his "passion"....:dunno:    I'm liking that Gus is demanding excellence...JMO

They all can be, but it wasn’t me.  Like I said it is my opinion of all coaches at all levels.

to say that that tirade is proof of demanding excellence is either saying he hasn’t in the past and you were fine with that before or in reality you are comparing apples to oranges in this case.   Cuz Gus has always demanded excellence and accountability, nobody is perfect.

you are seeing more and more of this type of “coaching” in youth leagues and I would like our coaches to show a better example and this includes Bruce as well.

again just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That 4th quarter drive was a thing of beauty. Conservative, safe play calls, cram it down their throats for 69 yards behind an O-line that's clicking, over six minutes of time and cap it off with a TD. There's no better way to win a game than that.

Yep...vintage Gus....

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Coach was neither.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

to say that that tirade is proof of demanding excellence is either saying he hasn’t in the pas

Despite some doubters I don't believe Gus was coaching the QBs and game offense for three years ....and mostly did not address or coach players during games. 

I thought Lindsey let too much slide.....looks like that's not gonna happen now. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We were a four-point underdog, won the game by eight and there's still a bunch of whining and squeaking. I don't think it's possible for AU to play a game, win or lose, when the keyboard warriors don't come around screeching with the "but we shoulda' and if we had" and "oh but next week" stuff.

Keyboard Warriors, love it.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

They all can be, but it wasn’t me.  Like I said it is my opinion of all coaches at all levels.

to say that that tirade is proof of demanding excellence is either saying he hasn’t in the past and you were fine with that before or in reality you are comparing apples to oranges in this case.   Cuz Gus has always demanded excellence and accountability, nobody is perfect.

you are seeing more and more of this type of “coaching” in youth leagues and I would like our coaches to show a better example and this includes Bruce as well.

again just my opinion.

Got news for you its been in youth leagues since 1974 that I know for a fact.

Some of the nit pickers aren’t thinking about the fact that there’s a whole other coaching staff on the other side that are  adjusting to us. Not every play or every drive is going perfect.  What we need to look at is execution and our adjustments to their adjustments.  I’m very proud of our staff and our guys.  We own College Station!

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Well Hitler did decide to call his own plays and attempted to fight on two fronts during the Russian winter and continuously underestimated the Spitfire. While also making it personal. His own team also tried to kill him.

Oh no you didn't

5 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Got news for you its been in youth leagues since 1974 that I know for a fact.

I know, it just seems to be getting worse than my days in the 80’s-90’s and we had a football coach that would be a facemask grabber in the early years before he had to stop that(just during games by the way).   

Archived