Gus, Bus, Magic Bus... Gus Bus

toddc

11 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Right. Building a successful team takes a lot and given how much Gus is being paid, I think its very realistic to expect consistent domination and longer-term strategy. 

The mid-late game personnel decisions and calling left a lot to be desired at times.

And being year 7 he should have the plan to utilize the Noobs hammered out.  Depth isn't really deep until it's been tested. We haven't tested much of our depth.

Under Gus, our personnel on offense has rarely been turned over in such a ways as to be effective at building in-game depth.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Same...

Wasn't supposed to be this close with the run game clicking as early as it was. To be fair, we've got to acknowledge that there were several times we didn't have to go 3 and out and put our defense in compromising positions. If TAMU had a competent offensive line (And I know I've said this multiple times) they'd have ran us. 

Mond couldn't get set to save his life, but close games with lackluster offenses won't do us any favors down the line. There are teams with good OLs and powerful offenses on the horizon. 

Sorry but this is BS.  If and buts.....   A&M had a veteran team and we went in as an underdog and won.   Enjoy it.    There is reason to be conservative on the road with Freshmen QB’s and we’ll get better.   There will also be days we’ll be worse.    

look at those 3 outs,  most had to do with young QB’s.   Gus called up some huge plays

Do i think we are winnng a championship with how we played, NO.    Do I think we are winning a championship at all, NO.    

Just continue to get better and play competitive ball.   

Guess what??? I know NOTHING about coaching!!! But Auburn just dominated a team that I think is a really good team. You all can gripe all you want to, but I saw what I saw! Texas A&M just got embarrassed at HOME. We whipped them. All you experts can complain all you want to!!! MY team is 4-0!!!!! War Eagle!!!

10 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

It was good to see Gus getting in players faces and chewing them out.  He has definitely turned it up a notch this year.  

I noticed that, too. 

12 minutes ago, lala said:

Sorry but this is BS.  If and buts.....   A&M had a veteran team and we went in as an underdog and won.   Enjoy it.    There is reason to be conservative on the road with Freshmen QB’s and we’ll get better.   There will also be days we’ll be worse.    

look at those 3 outs,  most had to do with young QB’s.   Gus called up some huge plays

Gotta disagree. 

1.) Auburn was ranked higher, yes betting Odds may have had us as the under but that's not the expectation from the standings nor our position within the conference. We've been getting by but not excelling by any means and definitely considering the amount pumped into our football program annually.

2.) Being conservative has won few games but it has been responsible for many a loss. If you can't place the ballgame on the arm of a freshman QB that is STARTING over older options, then what is the purpose of starting the Freshman.

3.) Looking at the schedule and knowing that Auburn is in the top 10, I don't think that's a good outlook to say "Some Days We'll be worse." Based on the talent and seniority within this Roster, Auburn ISN'T in a rebuild situation. That's a waste of a year for some players like D.Brown who could have went pro. 

4.) Gus called some huge plays and some plays he muffed. Its a mixed bag, but as a Veteran coach in this league on a premier contract, he has less room for error.

All that being said, again Gus did great and was a far cry from what landed him on hot seat talks but he still flirted with the older tendencies that landed him there. There is little to no doubt that he called a good game but against the stiff competition Auburn faces, being complacent can easily turn this season into a 7 or 8 win season at best.

3/3 in the Redzone. 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD. Of the passing TDs, one was to a TE and the other was on a double slant. No Kam Martin and Shivers got some decent touches. We kept Whitlow fresh for the second half which paid off when we needed it. 

My biggest gripe from the offense was 0/3 on deep shots. Nix has been horrible all year on these and thankfully didn’t come to bite us this game. For all the complaining we do about our offense, surprised these weren’t mentioned. Would also like to note our early usage of perimeter runs to counter A&Ms defense and it worked wonderfully. 

For a lot of the talk we have about the offense stalling out, we had some rough field position as the defense was letting A&M flip the field. 

I’m not worried about either side. Defense took away the run and we were able to run the ball. If we hit 1 of those deep shots, this game looks even more dominant. Defense turnover to start the 3rd was huge. The last TD drive to drain off 6 minutes was huge as well. Quality road win. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Gotta disagree. 

1.) Auburn was ranked higher, yes betting Odds may have had us as the under but that's not the expectation from the standings nor our position within the conference. We've been getting by but not excelling by any means and definitely considering the amount pumped into our football program annually.

2.) Being conservative has won few games but it has been responsible for many a loss. If you can't place the ballgame on the arm of a freshman QB that is STARTING over older options, then what is the purpose of starting the Freshman.

3.) Looking at the schedule and knowing that Auburn is in the top 10, I don't think that's a good outlook to say "Some Days We'll be worse." Based on the talent and seniority within this Roster, Auburn ISN'T in a rebuild situation. That's a waste of a year for some players like D.Brown who could have went pro. 

4.) Gus called some huge plays and some plays he miffed. Its a mixed bag, but as a Veteran coach in this league on a premier contract, he has less room for error.

All that being said, again Gus did great and was a far cry from what landed him on hot seat talks but he still flirted with the older tendencies that landed him there. There is little to no doubt that he called a good game but against the stiff competition Auburn faces, being complacent can easily turn this season into a 7 or 8 win season at best.

Enjoying the win, but good, analytical wisdom here. Here's to continued improvement...really proud of the gel and obvious "with-it" I saw today. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Exactly. If we continue attacking with the type of plays and personnel used during the first drive, then they quit by half and don't reach double digits. We continually gave them life by going 3 and out. Keep giving someone hope and they'll keep fighting. We had multiple opportunities to stomp on their throats. We should've and if you ask Gus he would agree.

Or, if we connect on just 2 of those deep throws that would he e put the game on ice. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I would've preferred not to have the multiple stalls we had in the first half after the 2nd score or the conservative approach during the 3rd quarter.

has he Ever not gone conservative with a generous lead?

36 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Gotta disagree. 

Lines are there for a reason, we were not expected to win   

From someone that played ball I am shocked.  If u think being aggressive with a TFr or RSF QB on the road is smart I am speechless.    Not to mention the game plan worked.  

There are games ahead where we play some great teams, to think all those will be W’s would be unrealistic.

I bet DB is very happy right now!

i am sorry I disagree but it’s my opinion and will not change it, at least tonight!

33 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I noticed that, too. 

Too bad it was my crush Mathew Hill! I’m not ready to trade him in just yet though.

48 minutes ago, lala said:

How many times has a #8 team gone against the #16/17 team and is the overwhelming underdog?

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

How many times does a #8 team go against the #16/17 team and is the overwhelming underdog?

it is the circumstance- we are on the road in the SEC, at supposedly the most hostile environment,  with a fresh QB, and  the 16/17 only loss was at Clemson.   

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Too bad it was my crush Mathew Hill! I’m not ready to trade him in just yet though.

I’m concerned, at this rate, he might be a transfer portal candidate. Especially with how young our main targets are and the guys we have coming in next year. 

He’s a tremendous talent though 

28 minutes ago, lala said:

Lines are there for a reason, we were not expected to win   

From someone that played ball I am shocked.  If u think being aggressive with a TFr or RSF QB on the road is smart I am speechless.    Not t mention the game plan worked.  

There are games ahead with some great teams and to think no all games will be W’s would be unrealistic.

I thing know DB is very happy right now!

i am sorry I disagree but it’s my opinion and will not change it, at least tonight!

There are people on here that would explain why the titanic didn’t really sink, why we didn’t really win WW II, and try to explain why we didn’t really land on the moon. I guess there’s just nothing we can do about these types of people.

Meanwhile, the real heavy Gus haters, are nowhere to be found on the board. If Auburn would’ve lost tonight, they would each have about 30 to 40 posts a piece.

3 minutes ago, lala said:

it is the circumstance- we are on the road in the SEC, at supposedly the most hostile environment,  with a fresh QB, and  the 16/17 only loss was at Clemson.   

And they were fairly handled by Clemson. We handled them similarly other than late in the game.

edit: Kyle field is not the most hostile environment in the conference in the slightest

And people wonder why Gus got the $49 million raise ... people are so quick to forget the last year had a half because Auburn won by 8 points. I'm very happy that we won, don't get me wrong, but if you take off your O&B glasses you could see that the same issues are still there with Gus Malzhan. I'll give him credit for the first quarter of the game, the first series of the second half, and the long drive that resulted in a TD after A&M's first TD. However, take those 4 series out of the game and we were left with the same conservative BS that costed us the national championship in 2013.

I'm tired of seeing 1 good thing happen and all of the fans jumping back on the bandwagon. "Oh, we threw a slant. GUS IS BACK BABY!" If he was back we would constantly be calling short and intermediate routes to give our freshman experience confidence. Also, I respect Malik Miller for being on the team and busting his ass but can someone honestly tell me why he gets playing time that could be taken by Joiner or Shivers?

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

There are people on here that would explain why the titanic didn’t really sink, why we didn’t really win WW II, and try to explain why we didn’t really land on the moon. I guess there’s just nothing we can do about these types of people.

Meanwhile, the real heavy Gus haters, are nowhere to be found on the board. If Auburn would’ve lost tonight, they would each have about 30 to 40 posts a piece.

If he would’ve loss period this board would be on fire. 

Also, I want to point something out. If you take away the 4 TD drives. Auburn had a measly 71 yards the other 9 drives of the game. While the 4 TD's are nice, there needs to be CONSISTENCY in our offensive game. Our defense can only keep us in games for so long and averaging 7.88 yards/yards on 9/13 drives will wear them out eventually.

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Game would have been a blowout if Nix could be more accurate with his deep balls.

True, and if the defense didn’t give up too late drives and scores it would’ve been a blow-out. At the same time, if Texas A&M gets in the end zone instead of settling for missed field goals, the game would’ve been closer. That’s just the way it is.

Archived