Doug Barfield 2.0

eagle12

15 minutes ago, eagle12 said:

Is this what we have went back to for a head coach if anyone can remember? 

Absolutely not. I remember cheering when the center/qb exchange was successful in some of those games.   

I wondered the same thing so I looked it up.  Yes. Record wise it is worse.  

Head coaching recordEdit

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (1976–1980)
1976 Auburn 3–8 2–4 T–6th      
1977 Auburn 5–6 4–2 3rd      
1978 Auburn 6–4–1 3–2–1 3rd      
1979 Auburn 8–3 4–2 T–3rd     16
1980 Auburn 5–6 0–6 T–9th      
Auburn: 29–25–1 15–14–1  
Total: 29–25–1  

But for some reason I don’t remember (sadly yes I am old enough) having less hope against a rival. 

38 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Absolutely not. I remember cheering when the center/qb exchange was successful in some of those games.   

That sounds terribly painful.

My Dad has told me about Barfileds term and I honestly think him living through that is why he still supports Gus and is reluctant to see Auburn make  change.  

He is Mikey2.0 in his thoughts and constant support of a mediocre HC.  He’s an old guy, and I’d think he’d want to see a better AU team during the twilight of his life.  But he was back at it this morning over coffee....after watching that game yesterday, he just says “we are so close, so so close”. SMDH

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

My Dad has told me about Barfileds term and I honestly think him living through that is why he still supports Gus and is reluctant to see Auburn make  change.  

He is Mikey2.0 in his thoughts and constant support of a mediocre HC.  He’s an old guy, and I’d think he’d want to see a better AU team during the twilight of his life.  But he was back at it this morning over coffee....after watching that game yesterday, he just says “we are so close, so so close”. SMDH

You're a good son, Keesler. Just to endure. It's a funny no-man's (woman's) land...some topics...we have a little "Camelot Years" running through our family, so politics is the one topic best avoided... 😉

Gus is a better coach than Barfield was but you can see and read all about the problems with Gus anytime any day. Barfield had the luxury of fewer people actually seeing the product each week due to lack of TV coverage and fewer seats available then. Newspapers and local news didn't cover problems and there was no commenting from fans or football boards. Gus just like every other coach is completely exposed, the good, the bad and the ugly. It tends to make it look worse maybe for some of us older fans but if I had to pick between them I'd take Gus 8 days a week.

Now I'm going to get something to drink to get that unpleasant taste out of my mouth. 

It feels a little like the Barfield years at this point. Gus has obviously accomplished more than Barf did with the 2013 SEC title and title game appearance (there was no SEC Title during Barfield's time but a Barf team would not likely have won a division anyway.) Barfield got fired for a winless SEC record in 1980. Gus worst SEC record so far was 2-6.

How much weight do we give Gus for 2013? To me 2013 is getting further and further in the rear-view mirror.

Get on the bus Gus. to Arkansas.

17 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You're a good son, Keesler. Just to endure. It's a funny no-man's (woman's) land...some topics...we have a little "Camelot Years" running through our family, so politics is the one topic best avoided... 😉

Dad’s my best friend right now especially with my son at AU.  We have our differences about the current coaching situation, but I always let him have the last word and never make a big deal about it one way or the other.  It’s best to keep our discussions low key when discussing Gus, because at the end of the day I’m soaking up every minute we have together.  

2 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

It feels a little like the Barfield years at this point. Gus has obviously accomplished more than DG did with the SEC title and title game appearance (there was no SEC Title during Barfield's time but a Barf team would not likely have won a division anyway.) Barfield got fired for a winless SEC slate in 1980. Gus worst SEC record so far was 2-6.

How much weight do we give Gus for 2013? To me 2013 is getting further and further in the rear-view mirror.

Get on the bus Gus. to Arkansas.

Man I am almost 30 and I was in school during 2013. That year was incredible but it's way past time for some of our fans stop pining for it. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Dad’s my best friend right now especially with my son at AU.  We have our differences about the current coaching situation, but I always let him have the last word and never make a big deal about it one way or the other.  It’s best to keep our discussions low key when discussing Gus, because at the end of the day I’m soaking up every minute we have together.  

Perspective is everything. Thank you so much for your service, too. 

Gus is awesome.  I love Gus.  But he's not the coach to lead us in today's SEC.  I bet he'd kill it over in the ACC though.  My Tallahassee neighbors don't want him, but I think with FSU's geography, resources, and lack of competition in the ACC he'd win 10 games every year.

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

That sounds terribly painful.

And it was at times. We did have some great players come though and no need to rehash who or years. One low point in my Auburn football life was a beautiful Auburn day with new upper deck and a 42-0 shellacking by Tennessee. 

Big reason that many of us old "Dye folks" still love the him so much. Knew when he came to town that the cowering Bammer or anyone was history. 

Painful situation with Gus right. Positive side of Gus is that we have never seen a team "quit" on him and he apparently keeps recruiting.  

Hard to believe any organization would put themselves into the absurd financial obligations that University athletic programs are committing today.    

Need to use a lot of caution in getting rid of Gus today without someone who wants Auburn. Not every coach on everyone's wish list wants or needs the job. You realize that though.

I suffered thru Bart Dofield...imagine Jordan Haire only 2/3 full for an SEC game...before we expanded the stadium.   Barfields daughter was one of our little sisters...I can't believe she would sit in our section with the things being said out loud about her Dad.  Good recruiter...especially skilled positions...we fumbled a lot...lots of penalties...lose games we should have won; occasionaly when one we shouldn't...creater of the infamous Orange Jersey fiasco...no defense.  Just like now; sucked all the joy out of football.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Doug Barfield never called the plays. Therefore, Barfield was a lot better head coach than Malzahn could ever dream of being.

Not sure how old you are but this is the stupidest thing I have read in a while. Barfield was terrible. If Gus was as bad as him he would have been gone two years ago. Gus is not good but Barfield was awful. This kind of post is why people hate message boards. People just say stuff just to say something. He was barely .500. Do better!!!

He isn't as bad as Barfield, but I don't know if any coach has created as much apathy in the fanbase as Malzahn.

Coach Barfield came to Auburn in the fall of 1972 and served as the head freshman coach....some how he was the first ever "head coach in waiting"...don't know what arrangement was made with him, but once Coach Jordan announced his retirement in the spring of 75, Coach Barfield was named by the BOT...you would have thought there would have been someone with more experience interested in the position...I don't believe Coach Barfield had ever been an head college coach before he got the job...I do know his expertise was on the offensive side....once Coach Lorendo retired in 73, Auburn changed from an "I" formation to 'veer' when Coach Barfield became the OC...

Like Coach Gus, Barfield was a good person and well liked by his players....  

Barfield was more like 2012 for 5 yrs. the thing that seems has not happened yet with Gus(and those closer can dispute this if I’m wrong) is losing the team. The players appear to play hard for him.

20 hours ago, eagle12 said:

Is this what we have went back to for a head coach if anyone can remember? 

Gus is Saban and Belicheck combined compared to Barfield. He was an absolute nightmare. 

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Doug Barfield never called the plays. Therefore, Barfield was a lot better head coach than Malzahn could ever dream of being.

Sorry but you are an idiot.

17 hours ago, keesler said:

We're always "close."  But the difference in close and getting there are things the HC is responsible for:

- Having more than one viable RB with playing experience. (2016, 2017)

- Not whiffing on multiple SEC caliber offensive linemen in multiple signing classes (2018, 2019)

- Not making MAJOR bad evaluations or missing on QB recruits multiple signing classes (2015, 2016)

It's the same damn story every year.

Archived