The Rev. John M. Buchanan is pastor emeritus of the Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago.

The Christianity Today editorial supporting the removal from office of President Trump is a remarkable and important document. It is also courageous. Widely read and widely respected, Christianity Today is thoughtful, its tone is consistently civil, and it is unapologetically evangelical.

In that a significant majority of white evangelicals support Trump and about a third say there is virtually nothing he could do to diminish that support, the coming backlash against Christianity Today is inevitable.

It might cost the magazine subscribers and advertisers. So, I register my gratitude and respect for Christianity Today.

I write those words as the former editor/publisher of the Christian Century, the recognized voice of mainline Protestantism and progressive Christianity. The late Billy Graham founded Christianity Today, in part, to counter the influence of the Christian Century. The two journals are different, often espousing different theologies and social positions. But both take seriously the role of Christianity in the world and the body politic, and both are devoted to truth-telling. Both Christianity Today and the Christian Century hold to the biblical promise that “you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”