Trump frequently accuses the far-left of inciting violence

aubiefifty

Trump frequently accuses the far-left of inciting violence, yet right-wing extremists have killed 329 victims in the last 25 years, while antifa members haven't killed any, according to a new study

Yahoo

insider@insider.com (James Pasley)

White nationalists gather under a statue of Robert E. Lee during a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia

White nationalists gather under a statue of Robert E. Lee during a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia

Thomson Reuters

• New research, based on almost 900 politically-motivated plots and murders in the US since 1994, found only one person's death in the last 25 years was linked to "antifa" or anti-fascists, and the person who died was the attacker.

• In comparison, over that same period, 329 murders were linked to the far-right.

• When the label was broadened from anti-fascists to left-wing violence, it found 21 victims had been killed since 2010, compared to 117 in right-wing violence in the same time period.

• Jihadist groups were responsible for 95 people's deaths since 2010.

• The database, which was compiled by a thinktank called the Center for Strategic and International Studies, was launched after Trump's administration spent several months stoking the possibility of left-wing violence, especially during the George Floyd protests.

• Seth Jones, a counter-terrorism expert, who helped create the dataset, told The Guardian: "Left-wing violence has not been a major terrorism threat."

• He said: "The most significant domestic terrorism threat comes from white supremacists, anti-government militias and a handful of individuals associated with the 'boogaloo' movement that are attempting to create a civil war in the United States."

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump has accused far-left groups of inciting riots and violence, but in the last 25 years, no murders in the US have been linked to anti-fascists, while 329 murders have been linked to the far-right, according to new research.

Researchers at a think tank called the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) assembled a database of almost 900 politically motivated plots and attacks in the US since 1994, ending in May 2020, which was reviewed by The Guardian.

The review found that only one person's death in that period was linked to "antifa," a leaderless movement dedicated to combatting right-wing and white supremacist groups, and the person who died was the attacker.

When the review widened its category from antifa to "left-wing violence," it found 21 victims had been killed since 2010, compared to 117 people killed in right-wing violence, in the same time period. Jihadist groups were responsible for 95 people's deaths since 2010.

Seth Jones, a counter-terrorism expert, who helped create the dataset, told The Guardian: "Left-wing violence has not been a major terrorism threat."

He said currently: "The most significant domestic terrorism threat comes from white supremacists, anti-government militias and a handful of individuals associated with the 'boogaloo' movement that are attempting to create a civil war in the United States."

It wasn't just CSIS either. Researchers at the Global Project Against Hate and Extremism, and at the Anti-Defamation League, told The Guardian they did not know of any murders linked to antifa in the US in the last 25 years.

Since the widespread protests began, Trump, senior officials, and Republican lawmakers have attempted to push the theory that antifa has been infiltrating protests to stoke violence. Trump's threatened to designate antifa as a terrorist organization.

The CSIS database was launched as Trump's administration began to repeat Trump's warnings about a possible "left-wing revolution," according to The Guardian.

In a memorandum released by Attorney General William Barr late in June, it states: "We have evidence that anti-government violent extremists — including those who support the 'Boogaloo,' those who self-identify as Antifa, and others— will pose continuing threats of lawlessness."

It goes on to state that the extremists "may be fortified" by foreign powers who wish to "sow chaos and disorder" in the US.

But there was little proof of any coordinated effort, Business Insider reported in late June.

Paul Barrett, the deputy director of the New York University Stern Centre for Business and Human Rights, told Business Insider's Sonam Sheth that the attempt to frame protests as "a violent leftist conspiracy" bore "all the earmarks of current-day disinformation."

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

With Trump and his defenders, accusation is almost always a form of confession.

what bothers me is most of these trump supporters have little to no morals when it comes to him. and i do not even mean that as a slam. they do not admit when they are wrong. have you figured these guys out at all? you are a smart cat so maybe you can explain what is going on with these people? if i was a trumper i would be embarrassed. he is a liar. a thief.a racist. a gas lighter. a womanizer. he makes a mockery of christ. it is like there is nothing he can do that will upset them. i mean he stole from a children's cancer fund and a VA fund and he lost the right to ever hold a charity again.how can you claim to be a patriot when your guy steal money from vets when he is not making fun of them? i would love to know any insights you might have. i mean these guys seem to be mostly decent people but the more i see them say and do the disgusted and depressed i get. and i think the fake news is a mistake. i doubt you might make me feel much better about them but maybe you see something i do not. you have known most of these guys longer.

here is a facebook quote from a lady i know. very nice. and she believes this mess. i do not know if i should laugh or cry.............

I want you to listen to this carefully. After all the s*** to take this man down over the past 3 years they couldn’t. They started a global pandemic to kill as many people as they can. They are burning down our country and letting regular citizens kill each other and even innocent bystanders. They will stop at nothing to defeat him. But why?? Orange man bad?? No!! Because they are fighting for their own lives because he is going to take them all down. All of them. Corrupt governments, new world order, Sex trafficking, gun running, rigged elections etc. Every bit of evil they do and have done is about to be exposed. And they are literally fighting for their lives. This is the most important election probably in this nations history. If he does not win this country is over. Your freedoms are gone. And you will never be able to get them out of power again because they will change the rules. If you love this country you better be prepared for the fight of your lives. If you do not have the balls or stomach for this I do not know what else to tell you!! Think of your families. Think of your kids. Pray and ask God for strength. This is their last battle. Fight for your life!! Time to stand up. You have no other option. God bless our President and God save the United States!! COPIED! REPOST REPOST REPOST

can you believe that? i have met a couple of meth heads that have more sense. i just do not understand.

48 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can you believe that? i have met a couple of meth heads that have more sense. i just do not understand.

Does she throw a cast net for mullet every morning at the sea wall in Port St Joe?

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I want you to listen to this carefully. After all the s*** to take this man down over the past 3 years they couldn’t. They started a global pandemic to kill as many people as they can. They are burning down our country and letting regular citizens kill each other and even innocent bystanders. They will stop at nothing to defeat him. But why?? Orange man bad?? No!! Because they are fighting for their own lives because he is going to take them all down. All of them. Corrupt governments, new world order, Sex trafficking, gun running, rigged elections etc. Every bit of evil they do and have done is about to be exposed. And they are literally fighting for their lives. This is the most important election probably in this nations history. If he does not win this country is over. Your freedoms are gone. And you will never be able to get them out of power again because they will change the rules. If you love this country you better be prepared for the fight of your lives. If you do not have the balls or stomach for this I do not know what else to tell you!! Think of your families. Think of your kids. Pray and ask God for strength. This is their last battle. Fight for your life!! Time to stand up. You have no other option. God bless our President and God save the United States!! COPIED! REPOST REPOST REPOST

At least it's not your mother. 

It's 24/7 propaganda - mainly via Fox (in my mother's case), but also other sources, such as right wing radio.

It's a time tested recipe for authoritarianism.

Our country is approaching a crossroads.

Archived