Fire Gus!

AUFriction

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

And, unfortunately, probably also 2022.  

why 2022? Still the buyout? 

I think after 2021 it dips below 20m(still hard to write that number).

But I Can see him staying. He still has Bo, they get GA and Alabama at home, so he could win some key games( But not GA...i feel).

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But I Can see him staying. He still has Bo, they get GA and Alabama at home, so he could win some key games( But not GA...i feel).

From my understanding, it drops to ~$10.5M on 12/31/22.

Hey guys, Metafour back here to repeat the same crap I've been telling you guys for years now (you thought I'd be more modest? Think again!)

We failed to act and rip the band-aid off when the opportunities presented themselves, and now with COVID we're going to need to wait even longer because if one thing is clear about Malzahn: the man has everything going for him when it comes to saving his job at the last minute. The fanbase as a whole carries too much of a risk-averse loser mentality which is why we're in this position and dropping even further. I've spent years debating with people who want to keep stringing along a beta-male weak willed head coach under the logic that "we don't know if the next guy is going to be any better". This is nothing more than a loser mentality. Loser mentality is going to produce loser results, not only in football, but in life as well. Here we are in 2020 after another embarrassing beatdown to a rival in which our team looked completely overmatched, and I'm still reading posts about how we shouldn't have hired Smart...because he might have left to take the Georgia job? Literally arguing that we made the right move to not hire a better coach, because we're afraid that he might have left us. That is loser mentality. I'm not going to waste much time hypothetically analyzing something that at this point is irrelevant, but I'll say one thing: Auburn fires head coaches, they don't walk out to take other jobs voluntarily. Secondly, even if we had hired Smart and he did indeed leave to go to Georgia ~3 years later, that means that he would have been impressing at Auburn (otherwise why would Georgia even call?). If he had walked out on a high note, that would mean that we'd be an extremely attractive option to an entire pool of potential coaching candidates...and under that pretense the team would already have a winning mentality and players in place...ie: its not a complete rebuild, which is what 90% of coaching changes are. I'm failing to see what the downside of that situation is, or in what regard keeping a loser like Malzahn around for literally a decade to slowly degrade our program is a "smarter option". Anyways, thats water under the bridge now. The fanbase as a whole is going to need to decide what they want out of this program. The boosters and people in power only vibrate to the frequency of the fanbase. We've had 2-3 moments during this entire tenure wherein Gus should have been shown the door due to absolutely reprehensible failure of his duties, and the fanbase collectively let him off the hook to weasel his way into more time and more money. He is the coaching equivalent of a conman or grifter.  

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

I you are looking at the big picture that we should not have hired either one in 2013.  We should not have hired Gus because he is sh** as a coach and we should not have hired Kirby because he is not a long term solution that we should have looked for a third option that is a great coach but loves Auburn and wants to stay long term then I would agree with you 1000%.

That is what I am saying. Gus had 1 year of HC experience at Arky State. Kirby had zero years, it was obvious he intended to take the UGA job when it came available, and he was their top choice.  Of the candidates at the time, and there weren't a ton, Gary Patterson of TCU would have been my choice. I'm not certain that he wanted it though, and I'm not an insider who would know that kind of info.  We should have done better. I can only hope things will be different the next go 'round. 

Anybody watch the press conference from yesterday? I made it about 3 minutes. 

Start off by awarding helmet stickers.. Really? 

Then goes into how the team is inexperienced and will get better. How many times have we heard this now? 

Proceeds to beat around the bush on every question.

Not that playing MAR would have made a difference as I thought tank was great, but said he didn't play because he's still learning the offense.  Wasn't the offense new for everyone? 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Buyout is $10.875 mil in 2022.  Drops to $5.475 mil on 1/1/23.  It could be argued that $10.875 mil is doable, but the budget deficit caused by C19 makes me to think that the PTB just will not be in the mood to cough up the buyout. 

4 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I'm not arguing that point. The extension a few years ago was horrifically shortsighted and economically devastating. I am simply pointing out this idea that Kirby would have saved the day when he surely would have bolted for the UGA asap is a giant stretch. 

Well hell your theory of saying you don't know applies to you as well. You're saying bs too. Why the hell can you not equate the the recruiting? You absolutely could that's stupid similar school same areas. Actually unless Georgia has some super home run hire it's even easier because you don't have to recruit against Gus

1 hour ago, metafour said:

The fanbase as a whole carries too much of a risk-averse loser mentality which is why we're in this position and dropping even further.

Loser mentality is going to produce loser results, not only in football, but in life as well. Here we are in 2020 after another embarrassing beatdown to a rival in which our team looked completely overmatched, and I'm still reading posts about how we shouldn't have hired Smart...because he might have left to take the Georgia job? Literally arguing that we made the right move to not hire a better coach, because we're afraid that he might have left us. That is loser mentality. I'm not going to waste much time hypothetically analyzing something that at this point is irrelevant, but I'll say one thing: Auburn fires head coaches, they don't walk out to take other jobs voluntarily. Secondly, even if we had hired Smart and he did indeed leave to go to Georgia ~3 years later, that means that he would have been impressing at Auburn (otherwise why would Georgia even call?). If he had walked out on a high note, that would mean that we'd be an extremely attractive option to an entire pool of potential coaching candidates...and under that pretense the team would already have a winning mentality and players in place...ie: its not a complete rebuild, which is what 90% of coaching changes are.

I'm failing to see what the downside of that situation is, or in what regard keeping a loser like Malzahn around for literally a decade to slowly degrade our program is a "smarter option". Anyways, thats water under the bridge now. The fanbase as a whole is going to need to decide what they want out of this program. The boosters and people in power only vibrate to the frequency of the fanbase. We've had 2-3 moments during this entire tenure wherein Gus should have been shown the door...

This x1000. Every point you’ve said I’ve been thinking it since 2015. I want an alpha who isn’t afraid to piss off some folks or not act like an “Auburn man” as long as he gets the job done and coaches with fire and not coach to prevent losing his job. We by no means are any cleaner a program than all the other top schools out there and to think we are is ignorant. I totally agree with your Kirby points as well. Again coulda woulda shoulda but at this point shame on the PTB for keeping this train wreck on the tracks with super glue and duck tape. We need a new train to hitch up to. 

4 hours ago, TigerTale said:

And the fact that the new contract was being negogtiated the week leading up to the SECCG in 2017 (after beating UGA and Bama) should have been a clue that Gus didn't have confidence in himself to keep winning big games, so he needed to get that big money extension while he could. So many people were excited about what was going on at that time and the extension just couldn't wait. What if Gus had been told to come back in January to discuss the extension? After losing the SECGC and then lossing to UCF, does anyone think there would have been as much excitement about the extension?

Gus and Jimmy Sexton bent Auburn over a barrel and had their way with them, and Leach & the Board of Trustees LIKED it!

We'll put up stats against vandy or somebody like that and it will be right back to thinking we're good until we play somebody with a pulse and get the crap kicked out of us again

22 minutes ago, TurfMonster said:

I think that it is fair to be critical of our coaching staff when our in state rival can be a playoff contender every year. 

After 8 yrs, this goes way beyond our in-state rival.  This staff has lost a minimum of 4 games for 6 straight years, they are 25-25 in the last 50 games.  UA putting a playoff contender on the field every year doesn't render Auburn teams mediocre year after year after year.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

After 8 yrs, this goes way beyond our in-state rival.  This staff has lost a minimum of 4 games for 6 straight years, they are 25-25 in the last 50 games.  UA putting a playoff contender on the field every year doesn't render Auburn teams mediocre year after year after year.

A .500 win rate is HORRIBLE. That is with a coach making 7.5 million a year. That’s playoff money. 

On 10/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, jluvah said:

Ok big shot, who’s your choice to replace him, or do you want to keep him?

No I dont want to keep him.  I was not for hiring him as when Chizek hired him as oc in 2009.  But I have said extensively over time my choice is Dennis Allen DC of the Saints.  As you can see I think up as you think down.

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

No I dont want to keep him.  I was not for hiring him as when Chizek hired him as oc in 2009.  But I have said extensively over time my choice is Dennis Allen DC of the Saints.  As you can see I think up as you think down.

Why you would choose Dennis Allen? Not criticism, I'm genuinely curious. 

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Buyout is $10.875 mil in 2022.  Drops to $5.475 mil on 1/1/23.  It could be argued that $10.875 mil is doable, but the budget deficit caused by C19 makes me to think that the PTB just will not be in the mood to cough up the buyout. 

Hate to say it, but I don’t think it drops to $5.5 mil until 12/31/23. :(

Remember how Tennessee wanted to name its sewage center after Kiffin? Can we actually do that with Leath?

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

When Dennis Allen was hired by the saints they improved in total defense until they were top ten in 2018 and close to top 10 in 2019, however they fell out of top 2019 because they were protecting a lead and playing soft letting catch pass underneath.  In addition, I think he can draw up a plan against these college defenses.  I think it was 2 years ago the Saints were playing the eagles and Nick Foles with the eagles being fresh off a superbowl victory over the Patriots.  With Foles the Eagles ran an offense that is reflective of college offenses today with zone reads and options.  The eagles scored the first two times they had the ball and did not cross the 50 for the remainder of the game.  He knows the college game.  In addition, I think he could go into a recruits house and instantly sell him and his family on getting him into the pros.  Even wit that, I dont believe we out recruit bama, fla and GA based on the periodically, but I believe he can make up the difference from player development and fitting personnel into his scheme.  Furthermore, he is DC of the Saints I think he will implement the Sean Peyton offense similar to what Brady did at LSU last year.

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

For those who are interested, here is a link to Gus’ contract.  Take a look at, among other things, a completely egregious Article 18 which states that Gus will not have a mitigation requirement should he get fired and AU will NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT TO OFFSET PAYMENT TO GUS!

In other words his Golden Parachute is 75% GUARANTEED.  Good job, PTB!

One last thought...i think everyone would agree that Dabo, based on results, has been earning his pay.  Guess what, his compensation for this year has been decreased by right at $1mil. How about our guy’s compensation...how much has it been decreased?  I’ve not seen anything about him taking a cut.  How many furloughed staffers could still have a job if Gus’ pay dropped by $1 mil?

Overpaid and underperforming for many years.  AU got fleeced. 

I'll try this one more time. If you are not satisfied with Gus and the performance of the team, send a letter or email to the A.D. informing them that you will no longer watch A.U. football on T.V. or listen to the games on the radio until Gus is gone. Then follow through. There is life without football. Media game coverage provides a huge revenue stream. Stop watching/listening, ratings will plummet, advertising rates go down, and revenue is lost. If you really want him gone, and want the program to improve, stop feeding the machine. Sometimes tough love is required in order to get results.

Money talks.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

We'll put up stats against vandy or somebody like that and it will be right back to thinking we're good until we play somebody with a pulse and get the crap kicked out of us again

I think this should be discussed more. People realize that Minnesota and UCF beat us with less than half the talent. That's called coaching. Frost and Fleck embarrassed Gus and we gave the excuse that players didn't care.

Let's face it:   

Auburn football is circling the drain and nobody at AU is going to step up to change that.  

Maybe they don't care about the W/L record as long as the program is perceived as 'clean'.

Perhaps they're afraid firing him would be an admission that he was a bad hire.

Maybe they just don't have the funds to buy him out.

Maybe they're afraid because they know they don't have the brains to replace him with someone better. 

Maybe they're just gutless.

Whatever the reason, I don't expect anything to happen until the program is mostly dead, because that's become the Auburn thing to do.

I was listening to Jboy and Hok and they bring up a good point.  
2020:  The Oline is as bad as we feared it would be and surprisingly the Dline isn’t very good either.  Every game will be less than inspiring on both ends and Gus will be on a blistering hot seat entering 2021.

2021:  Auburn brings everyone back and similar to 2017 is a threat to be a playoff team if not a playoff team.  Gus saves his job again.

2022: Bo may or may not return but Bicknell will have brought in some quality Olinemen. If Chad is gone then Gus will go back to running the offense and have some success because he has an Oline, a dual threat at Qb in Davis, and the ability to run the football again.

This may sound like sun shine Gus Bus post but based off the ebbs and flow of Auburn under Gus I could see this happening.

Archived