How does Harsin get the best out of Nix?

aubiefifty

13 hours ago, tsande07 said:

I think Nix will be seen as having taken a step forward next year. Specifically, I think there are three factors that will contribute to an increase in his completion percentage of 6% or more (cumulatively). This won't put him at the top of the league in that stat, sure, but it will be the sign of progress that we've all been waiting to see.

1. Better coaching on QB fundamentals: I expect, conservatively, a 2%+ increase in overall accuracy based in improved fundamentals. (In other words, on 2 out of every 100 passes he throws, improved QB fundamentals will lead to a completed pass, rather than an incompletion.)
  2. Improved O-Line Play: I think more consistent OL play will allow for an additional 2%+ improvement in completion percentage.
  3. Improved play calling / Expanded playbook: I think improved play calling and an expanded short passing game will allow for an additional 2%+ improvement in completion percentage.

One of the key factors in raising a QB's completion percentage is more throws between the hashes. This should help Bo immensely. Any QB's completion percentage is significantly higher on passes between the hash marks. Bo has his other issues, but at least this should help.

16 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Most people consider Chad Morris to be pretty good with QB's. Witness former Clemson QB Tajh Boyd's take prior to the 2020 season for what he expected from Bo Nix with coaching from Morris:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/in-chad-morris-we-trust-former-clemson-qb-tajh-boyd-predicts-huge-season-for-auburn-qb-bo-nix/

On edit...

Just to be clear, I am not predicting that Bo Nix won't get better or that he will go down as a bust. I had high hopes for him when he signed and would be thrilled to see him live up to expectations. I just don't buy some of the reasoning I'm seeing in posts I've responded to.

I think the biggest issue is he only had him for a short time.  Covid blocked a lot of coaching/access/spring/etc.  Bo's had a lot of bad habits of his own to break.  It isn't going to be simple.  I also think Chad Morris go lucky with Watson and seems to have been bad everywhere since.

Similar to Gus with Cam/Nick

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

One of the key factors in raising a QB's completion percentage is more throws between the hashes. This should help Bo immensely. Any QB's completion percentage is significantly higher on passes between the hash marks. Bo has his other issues, but at least this should help.

Yeah, and not a bunch of calls each game where everyone is running 9s.

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, and not a bunch of calls each game where everyone is running 9s.

the only thing worse was ONE guy running a 9 and the rest running 10 yd decoy routes i.e. no intention of being a target.

4 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

the only thing worse was ONE guy running a 9 and the rest running 10 yd decoy routes i.e. no intention of being a target.

Pretty sure Bo was the most inaccurate passer at passes over 20 yards.  Bo doesn't throw the best deep ball, but I feel like when 100% of those throws are low % deep balls vs anything else it's already at a losing position.  I feel like we'll see a pretty big difference in his distribution of pass got from years past.

I mean look at these two charts....

EkZYaU8WAAAIGcQ?format=png&name=900x900

vs Lebby's offense at Ole Miss, who I think would have been an elite hire, but worried about his past associations

EkaL88VVkAAQw4G?format=jpg&name=900x900

Archived