Basketball in domes

AUdmd07

After making my first trip to the SEC tourney, I had a few lasting impressions. First off, the SEC refs have seriously gotten worse since I first started watching basketball. This year's crews have blown more calls than I thought was humanly possible.

Secondly, I wanted to note how much a dome takes away from the basketball atmosphere. The seats are too far away from the court to get a good view of the game action and at a bad angle (height- wise) IMO. This isn't even taking into consideration the 2nd tier seats where they wanted to ship the students. I know it has it's advantages as far as seating capacity goes, but I think the SEC would be better suited to go to a building meant for basketball. They could even keep it in Atlanta in Phillips arena if they didn't want to change host cities.

Thoughts?

I think domes are terrible venues for bball for fans and players. For fans, no seats are "good" seats. At best there are some average seats and a lot of terrible ones (especially some of the ones they sell for the championship game). For players, it can be difficult to adjust your shot when you are used to playing in smaller arenas. I think Phillips Arena would be a decent option for a move, although it only seats 20,300, which is less than some SEC home arenas. I think this new mini-dome proposed in Bham will be the venue when it is completed. The SEC offices are in Bham and I would think 40K would be plenty of seats for the tournament while still being a mostly bball facility. I think the SEC would love to move more events back to Bham if it had the facilities.

You'd have a hard time getting Phillips Arena with both the Hawks and Thrashers playing there, unless you can get them to schedule road trips during that time.

I think domes are terrible venues for bball for fans and players. For fans, no seats are "good" seats. At best there are some average seats and a lot of terrible ones (especially some of the ones they sell for the championship game). For players, it can be difficult to adjust your shot when you are used to playing in smaller arenas. I think Phillips Arena would be a decent option for a move, although it only seats 20,300, which is less than some SEC home arenas. I think this new mini-dome proposed in Bham will be the venue when it is completed. The SEC offices are in Bham and I would think 40K would be plenty of seats for the tournament while still being a mostly bball facility. I think the SEC would love to move more events back to Bham if it had the facilities.

The Phillips Arena would be a great venue for the SEC Tourney. What does it matter if it "only" holds 20,300, it would be third in the SEC in terms of capacity. If B'ham ever gets this mini-dome, more like disaster built then maybe the SEC will move it there.

Most of the power conferences play their tournaments in a pro facility where the capacity is around 20K...the Big East in MSG, the Big Televen has had theirs at the United Center, the Big XII had theirs at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City (where the Hornets play some of their home games), the Pac 10 tourney was at the Staples Center.

The SEC should consider doing the same...it would seem less "empty" for some of those Thursday games and early Friday games and it is a more fan-friendly venue as far as being able to see.

Basketball games in domes suck to watch in person.

Archived