Cliff Ellis hired...

kickerman97

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2923077

CONWAY, S.C. -- Former Auburn and Clemson basketball coach Cliff Ellis was hired at Coastal Carolina on Monday.

Ellis was among five finalists for the job vacated last month by Buzz Peterson, who left the Chanticleers after two seasons to become director of player personnel for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Coastal Carolina said in a news release that Ellis, 61, was signed to a five-year contract.

Ellis has a Division I record of 534-337. His last coaching job ended in 2004 at Auburn, where he went 186-125. He spent 10 years at Clemson, leaving as the Tigers' most winning coach in 1994 with a record of 177-128. He had eight NCAA tournament appearances.

Coastal went 15-15 last year.

Good for him. I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal. I hope he is successful.

Raw deal in what way, pray tell? Our basketball program got in NCAA trouble twice under his watch. He was either asleep at the wheel or a blatant cheater, take your pick.

Good for him. I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal. I hope he is successful.

Raw deal in what way, pray tell? Our basketball program got in NCAA trouble twice under his watch. He was either asleep at the wheel or a blatant cheater, take your pick.

I don't think the basketball team got in trouble twice under Ellis. I think they got in trouble once, and it was never shown that Ellis himself did anything wrong.

Ellis was the coach for nine seasons. We made it to the NCAA three times and the NIT four times (and two of the NCAA appearances we got to the Sweet 16). We won an SEC championship. He won .598 of the games, which is pretty darn good at Auburn.

I don't condone cheating in any way, but like I said, if memory serves, Ellis was not found to be part of the problem. Unfortunately Auburn has seen more than its share of NCAA violations. I hope and believe that we are running clean programs now. But before you blast Ellis, remember that such Auburn legends as Shug Jordan and Pat Dye were also in charge of programs at Auburn that were rung up for NCAA violations...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Please, I beg you, do not ever compare Shug Jordan, Pat Dye and Cliff Ellis.

In fact, do it again, and I'll rat you out to Titan and get you banned faster than a Eli Gold run through a pizza buffett.

Ellis was among five finalists for the job vacated last month by Buzz Peterson, who left the Chanticleers after two seasons to become director of player personnel for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Uhhh... what's a Chanticleer? Do they chant something when they run out on the floor?... "and here they come now... the fighting Chanticleers". :lol:

Uhhh... what's a Chanticleer? Do they chant something when they run out on the floor?... "and here they come now... the fighting Chanticleers". :lol:

A Chanticleer is a rooster. Really scares the crap out of you, doesn't it?

I wonder if he will be rocking those sweet sweater vests. I like Cliff, I just think he let the program become stagnant.

Cliff is a nice guy. Wish him well at Coastal.

Cliff was scapegoated like Dye was. They ran Dye off, but he is still a god around campus. Auburn made the Sweet Sixteen, Marquis Daniels left for the pros and we had a crappy next season then bye bye, Lebo is a class act but it has taken him 3 years just to get us a morale victory. BBall is a sport where you can recruit 2 great guys and you can change the whole team. We still don't have squat on the roster. Ellis was a stable fixture, Basketball will always be the third sport at Auburn and I don't see spending the 92 mil on this new arena either.

In fact, do it again, and I'll rat you out to Titan and get you banned faster than a Eli Gold run through a pizza buffett.

Eli can't go through a pizza Buffet quick, common knowledge that he has to stay away from Peperoni, and Sausage. Think real Hard GOLD, look at my avatar.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Eli can't go through a pizza Buffet quick, common knowledge that he has to stay away from Peperoni, and Sausage. Think real Hard GOLD, look at my avatar.

Ok, how about quicker than Kenny Stabler through a bottle of Jim Beam?

Ok, how about quicker than Kenny Stabler through a bottle of Jim Beam?

Damn, that's fast. :lol:

About Ellis... he was a really likeable guy and a decent coach. But that's about it. We did get in trouble at least once under his stewardship and never showed consistency for more than 2 seasons. Unless it was being consistently inconsistent. Coach Lebo hasn't done much as far as win/ losses, but he spearheaded the drive for the new arena and practice facilities- both of which Auburn can't do without if we want to look serious about basketball. Time will tell if Coach Lebo can sustain any kind of consistent winning/ tourney appearances at Auburn, but Cliff Ellis' 9 years at the helm already showed what he was capable of.

Archived