Kristi Malzahn tweet

1TexasTiger

Wow we have become a pessimistic fan base. The wife of our OC is definitely eluding to something.

Dude, it's not pessimistic to think a Heiman-winning QB who won the National Championship and is predicted to be a first round pick and get tons of endorsements will enter the draft. That's called being realistic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.......

Sorry, but it's not really that interesting. Let's see...I can come back to college, risk injury and try to win another Heisman or I can make $50M in guaranteed money with a first-rd. pick and endorsements.

It's really not that hard of a choice. I would love for Cam to come back just as much as the next AU fan, but we've all got to be realistic here. This man is about TO GET PAID!

Sam Bradford won the Heisman his JR year,decided to come back for his SR year and got hurt and missed most of the season.He then was picked  number one overall  in the draft..Coming back wont have an effect on his draft status unless he has a career ending injury,which doesnt happen as often as it used to.

Bradford won it as a sophomore and came back his junior year. Then he left

Interesting.......

Sorry, but it's not really that interesting. Let's see...I can come back to college, risk injury and try to win another Heisman or I can make $50M in guaranteed money with a first-rd. pick and endorsements.

It's really not that hard of a choice. I would love for Cam to come back just as much as the next AU fan, but we've all got to be realistic here. This man is about TO GET PAID!

Sam Bradford won the Heisman his JR year,decided to come back for his SR year and got hurt and missed most of the season.He then was picked  number one overall  in the draft..Coming back wont have an effect on his draft status unless he has a career ending injury,which doesnt happen as often as it used to.

Bradford won it as a sophomore and came back his junior year. Then he left

Ha,well thats what I meant to say... :-[  (not really :laugh:)

If Cam is offered anything similar to what Bradford got, he would be foolish to not take advantage of that. Especially if the Nike rumors are true. Serious coin.

What are the Nike rumors? I must have missed this...

I think I saw in a tweet where someone said that Nike would probably pursue Cam when he turns pro. TIFWIW. Nike along with every possible shoe and apparel company on the planet.

I would think so.

"Bo Knows"  did them very well....I can not wait to see the Cam commercials..though I hope it is after next year after he wins a second Heisman.

:wedance:

Interesting.......

Well sure, that is a no-brainer, the type money he possibly could be offered would be life-altering coin. Nike could erect a Cam statue beside Tiger's. Scratch that... Put it as far away from Tiger's statue as possible!  :laugh:

Malzahn!!  And BTW, Cam was wearing an Nike warm-up jacket (Not UA) in one of the Heisman interviews this past weekend.

*sigh*

Already addressed.  It was a HEISMAN jacket first and foremost.  Nike logo was incedental.   All of the finalists were wearing various Heisman-themed clothing during the event.  Polos, jackets, etc.   Heisman logo, and Nike logo. 

Good grief Herk, don't you know better than to post something that could possibly annoy the "Great Galen"?  :-\

It was also tweeted from JHokanson (AU rivals writer) that that was taken in a joking context.  I wouldn't read into it or put stock in it.  Cam is going and there is no reason he shouldn't.  Dude is about to make LBJ money! haha

UA money pales in comparison to NIKE money.. Cam wears UA now because the school has a contract with AU... Once he goes pro though, watch the endorsement money come rolling in... ;D

Would love to see him pull a Suh and send some money back to Auburn.  It would be delicious to see him donate Nike money to Auburn to be spent on Under Armor. :)

It was also tweeted from JHokanson (AU rivals writer) that that was taken in a joking context.  I wouldn't read into it or put stock in it.  Cam is going and there is no reason he shouldn't.  Dude is about to make LBJ money! haha

I never knew Lyndon Baines Johnson made that kind of coin.

I wasn't aware of the Nike rumors.  That means that Cam really won't have to care about the NFL labor dispute, with or without a lockout, he'll have more money than he'll know what to do with before he ever steps onto a field somewhere on Sundays.  It's unfortunate, but it's better to have had a generational talent (literally, for those of us who were about 4 when Bo happened at Auburn, Cam is our Bo) and see him leave early than to never have seen him at all.  I'm looking forward to Jan 10. 

It's unfortunate, but it's better to have had a generational talent and see him leave early than to never have seen him at all.  I'm looking forward to Jan 10. 

^^^THIS!  Cam's impact on AU is HISTORICAL:  SEC West Champion, SEC Champion, Maxwell winner, O'Brien winner, Heisman winner.....National Champion? 

I, for one, am ready to see my team strap it on and play one more time for this season.  It has been an absolute blast to watch them play all season.  Watching Cam's progression from the beginning of the season to the end has been a huge compliment to the player development skills of our COACHES as much as Cam. Let tomorrow worry about tomorrow.

Wow we have become a pessimistic fan base. The wife of our OC is definitely eluding to something.

Dude, it's not pessimistic to think a Heiman-winning QB who won the National Championship and is predicted to be a first round pick and get tons of endorsements will enter the draft. That's called being realistic

How do you win that one?

How do you win that one?

:-X

I never knew Lyndon Baines Johnson made that kind of coin.

Thats what I thought!  It took me a few minutes to realize he meant LeBron

How do you win that one?

if you dont already know...

I wasn't aware of the Nike rumors.  That means that Cam really won't have to care about the NFL labor dispute, with or without a lockout, he'll have more money than he'll know what to do with before he ever steps onto a field somewhere on Sundays.  It's unfortunate, but it's better to have had a generational talent (literally, for those of us who were about 4 when Bo happened at Auburn, Cam is our Bo) and see him leave early than to never have seen him at all.  I'm looking forward to Jan 10. 

this^^^^^^^1,000,000x

i remember "Bo knows" and thats about it. i was at a few of his games but i was so young that i barely knew what was going on.

How do you win that one?

:-X

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If he stayed, and suffered a career ending injury, I would never forgive myself for all those prayers asking God to keep him at Auburn just one more year. 

Its his decision, he has to make it for himself.  As selfish as it is, I want him to stay but he probably should go.  :'(

I often hear people site the "career ending injury" as the reason for players to go pro early.  I guess the arguement here is that, if they have a career ending injury in the pros, they will have already made some money, but in college they won't.  I suppose there is some validity to that, but then again, you can achieve the same general effect through an insurance policy.  In Cam's case, his brother is in the NFL, so they have the money to cover the cost fo an insurance policy.  In any case, it's not like college football is any more dangerous than pro.  I'd be inclined to think it's less dangerous... though not by much.

Also, I wonder what the actual odds are of suffering a "career ending injury".  I can't think they would be very good.  If they were, no one would want to risk playing football at all.

The truth of the whole thing is, if a player goes pro, early, it's all about money, and it's a gamble at that.  That's the only benefit, and there's no guarantee it'll be more money than if they wait a year.  I'd be willing to bet, in most cases, with true star athletes, if you could see the "what if", most would have made more money with another year of seasoning. 

By staying in school, they get a degree, another year of learning under their current coaching staff (who can and will dedicate time that a pro staff will not), another year of being a kid (don't tell me most of you don't miss college), and a chance to achieve even greater things and make even more money, if that's what they are really looking for.

Al I can say is, if I had a kid who was a college star... they'd be in school for the full four seasons.

I often hear people site the "career ending injury" as the reason for players to go pro early.  I guess the arguement here is that, if they have a career ending injury in the pros, they will have already made some money, but in college they won't.  I suppose there is some validity to that, but then again, you can achieve the same general effect through an insurance policy.  In Cam's case, his brother is in the NFL, so they have the money to cover the cost fo an insurance policy.  In any case, it's not like college football is any more dangerous than pro.  I'd be inclined to think it's less dangerous... though not by much.

Also, I wonder what the actual odds are of suffering a "career ending injury".  I can't think they would be very good.  If they were, no one would want to risk playing football at all.

The truth of the whole thing is, if a player goes pro, early, it's all about money, and it's a gamble at that.  That's the only benefit, and there's no guarantee it'll be more money than if they wait a year.  I'd be willing to bet, in most cases, with true star athletes, if you could see the "what if", most would have made more money with another year of seasoning. 

By staying in school, they get a degree, another year of learning under their current coaching staff (who can and will dedicate time that a pro staff will not), another year of being a kid (don't tell me most of you don't miss college), and a chance to achieve even greater things and make even more money, if that's what they are really looking for.

Al I can say is, if I had a kid who was a college star... they'd be in school for the full four seasons.

It's not the absolute risk, necessarily, it's the marginal cost-to-benefit and marginal increase or decrease in risk.  A 20-30% greater chance in injury risk from going pro is offset by the benefit of the upcoming Eleventy Billion Point Five dollars that Cam can expect to earn via signing bonus money and endorsements.  On the other risk side, his injury risk at the college level is ALSO increasing due to the departure of 4/5 of the offensive line.  He is going to get hit more often if he stays at Auburn, that has to carry an increase in injury risk of at least, say 5-10%.  The benefit from staying is attaining his degree, which is most helpful to graduates to help them...earn more money over the course of their lifetimes.  Cam will wipe out that little financial benefit in the time that it takes him to breathe 3 times on draft day.

At the end, all we're left with is guesswork at how Cam and his family value the "intangibles."  Cam getting his degree is more of a moral issue than a practical one, because the money is not an issue if he leaves after this season.  There is also the intangible benefit of staying where he is (presumably) comfortable, where he has gone through quite a lot with several coaches and players who will remain, and where the ladies might be considered a tad...more virtuous (but just as friendly) compared to those one might find on the road in the NFL.  We can't know how they value these things, because a player who does value the intangible over the practical is going to say the exact same things as the player who values the practical over the intangible, but realizes that it is practical to go through the motions of saying the right things.  I personally won't think less of him either way, as I'm the practical type. 

As for a slogan, how about  "Bo Knows, but Cam Owns?" 

Archived