New RB Question

thewhiz7

I know that we most likely will get Mason. My next guess would be Huggins for the 2nd rb position. My question is

out of all the RB recruits on the board what is the list from top to bottom priority? I ask this because in the Big Cat Weekend thread I noticed someone said that Drew and Crowell would be the top 2 targets. That got me to thinking who the coaches want the most. Would they take him over Huggins? Mason? Is he the #1 target? If Crowell really starts to show interest to the coaches and both Mason and Huggins are ready to commit what do they do?

personally I think the coaches want jeremy hill and mason for the of getting la'el collins also if it was possible to get huggins with those two that would be great also because apparently hill has a good shot at being a linebacker. just my two cents

Take Crowell and Huggins. But if Crowell is still up in the air take Mason and Huggins if they are ready to commit. You can't waste time that close to signing day.

Very interesting answers. Just remember numbers are extremely tight. Hill I think on down the list at RB but he may not be. It seems like the La'el ship has sailed but I could be wrong about that as well. Keep the answers coming and Merry Christmas to all my fellow Auburn brethren!

Ok, let's roll with the Collins thing. IF they are a package do they take Hill and make him a LB and only take one RB this year? My thinking is that we seem to be in on a lot of VERY good RB's for 2012. Maybe we take 2-3 next year.

Huggins, Crowell, and Hill are all being recruited as "big" backs. I expect Auburn to finish with one of these three and Mason as the "speed" back.

Yeah yeah, I know, Huggins isn't even 200 lbs, and he's fast, and everyone wants him to be the speed back instead of Mason because he's rated higher, but they aren't the same type of back. Mason is a shifty, make you miss guy. Huggins is a run through and past you guy. And he's 3 inches taller with the body to put a few more pounds on.

Besides, outside of maybe Dee Hart, I haven't seen a speed back I like as much as Tre Mason. He's vastly underrated by recruiting services, IMO, and I have exceptionally high hopes for him. I think Auburn gives him the perfect opportunity, because he doesn't have to try to be the star, he can just be himself...and in doing so, I fully expect him to start shining.

I don't expect Hill to be on the Plains unless Collins is, as well, and if that happens I expect him to be the "big" back in this class with Tre Mason as the speed back.

At the end of the day, however, I expect us to get Mason and either Huggins or Crowell. I do think Crowell is higher on the coaches' board, but I expect him to go to UGA. I think we get Westerman and scale back the efforts with Collins, but as ST said, if he wants to come, I think we'll make room for him.

Take Crowell, Huggins, and Mason

^^^ Agree, we will make room for 5*! Any position

Guys, just because a scouting service says a player is five stars, that doesn't make it so. We're going to take three running backs in this class, but Tre Mason and Quan Bray will be two of them.

Huggins, Crowell, and Hill are all being recruited as "big" backs. I expect Auburn to finish with one of these three and Mason as the "speed" back.

Yeah yeah, I know, Huggins isn't even 200 lbs, and he's fast, and everyone wants him to be the speed back instead of Mason because he's rated higher, but they aren't the same type of back. Mason is a shifty, make you miss guy. Huggins is a run through and past you guy. And he's 3 inches taller with the body to put a few more pounds on.

Besides, outside of maybe Dee Hart, I haven't seen a speed back I like as much as Tre Mason. He's vastly underrated by recruiting services, IMO, and I have exceptionally high hopes for him. I think Auburn gives him the perfect opportunity, because he doesn't have to try to be the star, he can just be himself...and in doing so, I fully expect him to start shining.

So does that mean that basically the first one to say I'm coming to Auburn gets the spot? DJ you know how tight the numbers are. We aren't going to be able to take all these guys. I'm trying to get a feel for where Crowell sits in the equation. I don't think we will get him but I find it interesting that IF he were to say hey I am really thinking about coming here would we hold off one of the other guys if they were ready to pull the trigger.

if you still look all three of the main sites they still think auburn has a good chance with collins...

That's just JLee trying to sell more subscriptions. He has Collins at 55%. There is maybe 2% chance we get Collins, and he knows that. He's running a business, so he's trying to entice more people to pay for a subscription.

Hill is much more likely to come to Auburn

if you still look all three of the main sites they still think auburn has a good chance with collins...

That's just JLee trying to sell more subscriptions. He has Collins at 55%. There is maybe 2% chance we get Collins, and he knows that. He's running a business, so he's trying to entice more people to pay for a subscription.

Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a subscription if i thought the guy was extremely well connected and objective with his predictions....I don't want to hear what I want to hear...i want to hear what is likely to happen. 

Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a subscription if i thought the guy was extremely well connected and objective with his predictions....I don't want to hear what I want to hear...i want to hear what is likely to happen.   

Me too. That's why if this site ever shut down, I would subscribe to Scout over Rivals. Even though the Rivals player rankings are more accurate IMO than Scout, the scout writers are just better than at Rivals. Rivals cares more about making money than good info.

Me too. That's why if this site ever shut down, I would subscribe to Scout over Rivals. Even though the Rivals player rankings are more accurate IMO than Scout, the scout writers are just better than at Rivals. Rivals cares more about making money than good info.

Scout is all Bama. Just watch how quickly players drop and rise right after they drop Bama, name them as a favorite, or put us high on their list. Rose dropped way on back and lost a star when he committed to us. They claimed it was an error after everyone started griping.

We have been recruiting Crowell since day 1.  Early on we focused on Blakely and Hart, but I think Crowell has been highest in our board all along.  Call me crazy but I think we have as good a shot at Crowell as Huggins.  Huggins came on very late, has been to Auburn just once, and is from way up north.  I'm skeptical of a kid going across the country based on one visit to a school he just started getting recruited by near the end of the process.  Meanwhile, UGA is in meltdown, and Bama has too many backs as it is.

Huggins on film is no big back, but he does well at yards after contact.  If we get Hill, I think he will be an H-Back.  Mike Farrell thinks Huggins is going to Rutgers for whatever that is worth.  I'd love to see Huggins come to Auburn, but I would take Crowell over every back that has visited AU in the 2011 class.

We have been recruiting Crowell since day 1.  Early on we focused on Blakely and Hart, but I think Crowell has been highest in our board all along.  Call me crazy but I think we have as good a shot at Crowell as Huggins.  Huggins came on very late, has been to Auburn just once, and is from way up north.  I'm skeptical of a kid going across the country based on one visit to a school he just started getting recruited by near the end of the process.  Meanwhile, UGA is in meltdown, and Bama has too many backs as it is.

Huggins on film is no big back, but he does well at yards after contact.  If we get Hill, I think he will be an H-Back.  Mike Farrell thinks Huggins is going to Rutgers for whatever that is worth.  I'd love to see Huggins come to Auburn, but I would take Crowell over every back that has visited AU in the 2011 class.

Wasn't Ben Tate from up North?  It worked out pretty well for him!  LOL  Maybe he can get in Huggins ear for us!

Anybody here seen any of these aforementioned backs play in person this year?

I'd like to hear more first hand reports if anyone has input...

I think we get Huggins, Mason, and Bray, though we are still working on Crowell. Yeah, I know just about everybody here thinks that Crowell is going to Georgia or UA but certainly not Auburn. All I'm saying, Auburn's recruits should never be underestimated when they're really going after one guy. With that said, I still think we get Huggins and Bray and probably Mason. I have no complaints with that list. Those guys can seriously move the ball.

I think we get Huggins, Mason, and Bray, though we are still working on Crowell. Yeah, I know just about everybody here thinks that Crowell is going to Georgia or UA but certainly not Auburn. All I'm saying, Auburn's recruits should never be underestimated when they're really going after one guy. With that said, I still think we get Huggins and Bray and probably Mason. I have no complaints with that list. Those guys can seriously move the ball.

If we get Crowell, then we won't get Huggins. I sincerely believe that Mason and Bray are already silent commits and the third back will be either Crowell, Huggins, Marlin Lane, or Jeremy Hill. Crowell is the one I think the coaches want most, and I don't see Hill coming unless Collins comes as well, but at the end of the day I think you're right that it'll be Huggins, Mason, and Bray.

I don't see us getting Lane at all. If you don't think we get Huggins then things get interesting. Most think Crowell to UGA and Hill to LSU. What if we swing and miss? Fill with another position?

I don't see us getting Lane at all. If you don't think we get Huggins then things get interesting. Most think Crowell to UGA and Hill to LSU. What if we swing and miss? Fill with another position?

I said IF we get Crowell we won't get Huggins. I actually expect Huggins to be the "big" back this year, but we WILL get two marquee backs, not including Quan Bray.

Archived