Statement from Dan Rather

TitanTiger

Last week, amid increasing questions about the authenticity of documents used in support of a 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY story about President Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard, CBS News vowed to re-examine the documents in question—and their source—vigorously. And we promised that we would let the American public know what this examination turned up, whatever the outcome.

Now, after extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where—if I knew then what I know now—I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/20/...ain644546.shtml

Last week, amid increasing questions about the authenticity of documents used in support of a 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY story about President Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard, CBS News vowed to re-examine the documents in question—and their source—vigorously. And we promised that we would let the American public know what this examination turned up, whatever the outcome.

Now, after extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where—if I knew then what I know now—I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/20/...ain644546.shtml

It was a horrible mistake in judgement to consider Burkett an "unimpeachable source."

When Bartlett embraced the memos instead of refuting them, CBS assumed they were the real thing and didn't seem to look much further.

Falling on the sword was the right call for CBS...but they should have done it a week ago. It didn't take this long for most people to realize these documents didn't pass the smell test.

Falling on the sword was the right call for CBS...but they should have done it a week ago. It didn't take this long for most people to realize these documents didn't pass the smell test.

I'm not sure why he placed so much faith in Burkett.

Falling on the sword was the right call for CBS...but they should have done it a week ago.  It didn't take this long for most people to realize these documents didn't pass the smell test.

I'm not sure why he placed so much faith in Burkett.

Hatred of all things Bush. It is no secret that he doesn't like Bush. This dates all the way back to Bush 1.

Good to see the apology, but I'm not sure its heartfelt from Dan, just CBS.

It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

HORSE FEATHERS!! He just told another lie.

day late, dollar short.

only after the ratings tanked did CBS & RAthER feel the heat.

know this: it'll take a lot longer than a week for some people to forget this 'mistake'.

ct

Only after the ratings tanked did CBS & RAthER feel the heat.

:clap::clap: :clap:

On the money. C-BS was out to smear Bush in the light of ABB, Michael Moore, etc.

The "investigation" will be a whitewash.

Burkett only gives a slow pitch interview with Dan Rather?

I think Dan needs a couple dozen satellite vans in his front yard for the next six months. What did he know and when did he know it?

I think Kerry needs a couple dozen satellite vans in his front yard for the next six months. What did he know and when did he know it?

I think McAuliffe needs a couple dozen satellite vans in his front yard for the next six months. What did he know and when did he know it?

21st Century WaterGate...

We really need a special prosecutor.

This will wind up being forgotten soon, just like the Sandy Berger classified document incident that happened before the democrat convention.

The only MISTAKE that Rather biased Dan made was to believe that he could foist such obviously fake documents on the American people and influence the presidential election by doing so, without any repercussions.

Rather and ALL executives responsible for approving the use of the fake documents should resign or be fired.

This will wind up being forgotten soon, just like the Sandy Berger classified document incident that happened before the democrat convention.

I don't think so, Rather's face is on the TV everyday, and the other networks will be watching every move he makes, along of course, with all of the bloggers. And of course, as his ratings continue to tank, and the stock of Viacom tanks, he will be pushed out the door...

Archived