my dad david gaynes luna

aubiefifty

played on the auburn tigers freshman team in the early fifties. i have a picture of him wearing a number 24 jersey. he was from tennessee. does anyone know how i can find more info about him? my mom and dad divorced when i was a baby and i would like more info about his playing at auburn. most of my family on my mothers side grew up mostly on gay street when i was a wee lad. any help would be much appreciated. also his middle name might be gaines instead of gaynes...............sorry dysfunctional family.................thanks........

• Like 2

When you see a mod online with the name of augolf1716, everybody calls him golf, he is very knowledgeable about that period of time or he might have some ideas for you. Best wishes on your search. WDE!!!!!

• Like 1

I know this will sound stupid, but drop Jay Jacobs an email about this.  Our athletic department takes these kinds of requests very seriously.  I know from experience.

• Like 1

Thanks pop I gave him yours and Slammers name to check. I know the name David Luna but I'm not sure he ever lettered

You know golf, I have two adopted sons that I have helped find their birth parents;  this could be cool!!

Golf and Pops, I am no help on this one. I know just about all of the '57 team and after that till 1960 but don't remember anybody named Luna. Aubiefifty, could you be more specific on what year you are talking about? I do know his coach on the freshman team was  probably Vince Dooley. We had several players  back then from TN.  Bobby Hoppe comes to mind first, also, Jim Jeffries, who passed away recently. There are others but can't remember them. Its been a long time!

Sounds like his Dad played on the freshmen team before 1957 Slammer

Golf, I googled him and all I came up with is some attorney out in Los Angeles. I think you are right about him playing prior to 1957.

I couldn't find anything either.  There have been a couple of Lunas who played on the other side of the state, circa 1953 and 1990.

According to my disc that shows all who grad. from AU up to 2009 he David did not grad. from AU. I did see that 5 Luna's grad after 1970

Google "Auburn Digital Library" and click on "browse collections". Then go to the Auburn Glomerata collection. They have every yearbook scanned from the very first Glom. You can "virtually" go through the Gloms of the early 50's to see if your dad is in the Athletics section. Most Gloms have team pictures. You can also look in the student pictures to see if he's there.

Try this:

http://content.lib.auburn.edu/cdm/search/collection/gloms

thanks for the help my fellow auburn brethren. i practically grew up on gay street and played at the park by the baseball fields as a rugrat. my mother and her sisters all attended auburn and my grandfather who was retired military i believe taught horseback riding to the rotc lads. he was james v clayton and even after retired he walked to town at least twice a day and everyone knew him and called him sarge. and he almost always had an old stogie with him. my childhood times spent in auburn i believe are some of the best years of my life. i actually had the run of the town with no fear of predators or that kind of thing. my mother actually buried a kitten beneath the old eagle cage when she was a rugrat. and they used to hang out at a bbq place called archies. they danced in an old concrete block club on the main drag but below the campus.

sorry i got long winded but i love auburn and its a source of great pride my father was an auburn tiger. heck me and a friend got busted chewewingother peopls gum from beneath the table at the old sani flush or freeze...lol.that was a whuppin  lol. anyway thanks for the help. auburn is my heart and i pull for them win lose or draw and i never ever pull against them......................war eagle guys!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Aubiefifty, the place where everybody danced is what is known as the War Eagle Supper Club today. Back then we just called it the "War Eagle". I was amazed that it is still there. They have a different agenda now than what is was like in the late 50s, live bands etc. We just had a juke box. They served the best pizza ever and it cost $ 1.00. That won't even get you a topping today. Used to go every Wednesday, what memories!! Also, Archie's was out the Opelika highway on the right hand side of the road before you got to Stoker's, if you remember that restaurant. Stokers was probably the best place to eat back then for a full meal. Stoker's is long gone now as is Archie's Oyster Bar.

Now Archie's was a different deal. Archie tipped the scales at about 500 lbs give or take a few. His "restaurant" was a old wooden shack that really should have been condemned. Although Arch sold BBQs,  his specialty was raw oysters from the gulf and he did a land office business with that. Unfortunately for me on my first experience with oysters was an absolute disaster! I found out that I was allergic to shellfish. I got violently ill and broke out in hives all over my body. Dying would have been a pleasure.

Even though things were more Spartan in the old days, the one thing that remains the same is the Auburn Spirit!!!

That will never change!!

Golf, Pops, Slammer, A4e, Aubie, Warbird, thanks for helping our friend out, very nice of you :bow: I had faith in you guys.

Thanks Tiger, this is what being an Auburn Man is all about.  :thumbsup:

Golf, Pops, Slammer, A4e, Aubie, Warbird, thanks for helping our friend out, very nice of you :bow: I had faith in you guys.

Glad I could help...if I did!

i was born in 55 and i believe he played before i was born.thanks to those helping.i am sure he quit after his freshman year but i never got a reason why.

i was born in 55 and i believe he played before i was born.thanks to those helping.i am sure he quit after his freshman year but i never got a reason why.

The Korean War was 1950- 1953 is it possible he could have left AU to job the services?

• Love 1

This is a neat thread.  I have absolutely nothing to contribute, but I am enjoying reading these stories. 

another thing i so dearly loved was the frat houses back then . you could walk by and get a piece of candy or a burger or whatever. does anyone remember a woman name eloise that used to work at archies for years? she was heavyset and spoke her mind but was funny and kind hearted. sadly later she killed a cheating husband and then killed herself..............such despair for a beautiful person..............