Jay Jacobs: NCAA investigation

auburntiger77

I am not of the opinion as most on this thread. I am very concerned about the NCAA investigating whether there is a "lack of institutional control". This would not be an issue unless something was found by them. I don't think it involves Cam one bit. I don't think it means they have found "major infractions", however they must have found some infractions. It's no coincidence that Bull missed the first game of the season because our athletic dept. made a mistake. IMO it's because the NCAA found the mistake, not us. I hope I am dead wrong on this, but we may get a slap on the wrist before this is all said and done. Just when I had forgotten about all of this garbage it gets dredged up again, ughhh!

Wrong.  So much to disagree with this paragraph... can't... focus. Too... much...  Ah, never mind.  I'll just grab a beer.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. That's your right. Logically thinking about it, I just find it very hard to believe our AD found their oversight, after two years, all by themselves. Why would they even be looking at this after two years? It just doesn't make sense. Bottom line...It is never ever good when the NCAA is looking into your AD for "lack of institutional control". If you don't understand this, then you won't get it even if it is explained to you.

^^^ uncalled for response ^^^

If you aren't ready for people to disagree with your post ... don't post...

That being said, it is just as possible that the polar opposite of your take on this is true... as well as your stance may be true...

Just saying... and I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised how everything eventually shakes out, and most of them are not AU fans ...

Sorry if I offended you. I gave my opinion on the situation and somebody decided they wanted to call my opinion stupid. I didn't appreciate it one bit and voiced that. Sorry again if I offended you.

WarEagle10, I didn't infer that your opinion was stupid, but sorry if that's how you took it.  As for your response, I wasn't offended.  It's all good! 

P.S. Just found out earlier -- my wife is pregnant!  I guess I should grab another beer. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not of the opinion as most on this thread. I am very concerned about the NCAA investigating whether there is a "lack of institutional control". This would not be an issue unless something was found by them. I don't think it involves Cam one bit. I don't think it means they have found "major infractions", however they must have found some infractions. It's no coincidence that Bull missed the first game of the season because our athletic dept. made a mistake. IMO it's because the NCAA found the mistake, not us. I hope I am dead wrong on this, but we may get a slap on the wrist before this is all said and done. Just when I had forgotten about all of this garbage it gets dredged up again, ughhh!

Wrong.  So much to disagree with this paragraph... can't... focus. Too... much...  Ah, never mind.  I'll just grab a beer.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. That's your right. Logically thinking about it, I just find it very hard to believe our AD found their oversight, after two years, all by themselves. Why would they even be looking at this after two years? It just doesn't make sense. Bottom line...It is never ever good when the NCAA is looking into your AD for "lack of institutional control". If you don't understand this, then you won't get it even if it is explained to you.

^^^ uncalled for response ^^^

If you aren't ready for people to disagree with your post ... don't post...

That being said, it is just as possible that the polar opposite of your take on this is true... as well as your stance may be true...

Just saying... and I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised how everything eventually shakes out, and most of them are not AU fans ...

Sorry if I offended you. I gave my opinion on the situation and somebody decided they wanted to call my opinion stupid. I didn't appreciate it one bit and voiced that. Sorry again if I offended you.

WarEagle10, I didn't infer that your opinion was stupid, but sorry if that's how you took it.  As for your response, I wasn't offended.  It's all good! 

P.S. Just found out earlier -- my wife is pregnant!  I guess I should grab another beer. 

Congratulations cali!! Best of luck to you and the wife!!!

If no one has ever seen the paper work these players have to have filled out for each season, it is some 300 and something pages long.  In Eltoro's case, one page wasn't signed and it was caught by the Auburn compliance department before the game.  Auburn reported it.  The NCAA said 1 game.  The end.

Nobody ever said Auburn was being investigated for lack of institutional control. Jay said the NCAA was investigating the athletic department to make sure Auburn had proper control of it's athletics program. Big difference.

They are being investigated for proper institutional control of the athletics program, right?  If anything is found to be out of order, is that considered "lack of institutional control" of the athletics program? 

Why in the world are we being investigated for institutional control?  Has something happened that would make the NCAA question if our folks are controlling the athletics program properly?

:dunno:

Nobody ever said Auburn was being investigated for lack of institutional control. Jay said the NCAA was investigating the athletic department to make sure Auburn had proper control of it's athletics program. Big difference.

They are being investigated for proper institutional control of the athletics program, right?  If anything is found to be out of order, is that considered "lack of institutional control" of the athletics program? 

Why in the world are we being investigated for institutional control?  Has something happened that would make the NCAA question if our folks are controlling the athletics program properly?

Yes something did happen. We were accused of paying an athlete $180,000. Falsely, but still accused. And they are doing what they do in all instances of looking into a program. If you were a structural engineer and a report of a crack in a bridge came in, would you fix the crack and assume everything else is fine with the bridge? Or would you do your due diligence and search every part of the bridge to make sure you didn't miss anything? It's just standard procedure. Nothing more.

If you were a structural engineer and a report of a crack in a bridge came in, would you fix the crack and assume everything else is fine with the bridge? Or would you do your due diligence and search every part of the bridge to make sure you didn't miss anything?

Depends on the budget.  :P

Yes something did happen. We were accused of paying an athlete $180,000. Falsely, but still accused. And they are doing what they do in all instances of looking into a program. If you were a structural engineer and a report of a crack in a bridge came in, would you fix the crack and assume everything else is fine with the bridge? Or would you do your due diligence and search every part of the bridge to make sure you didn't miss anything? It's just standard procedure. Nothing more.

Not that I don't believe JJ, but do we have any confirmation from anywhere, any sources that say that it IS standard procedure? I mean, I can see the logic, and believe thats what is happening.

But other than the fact that nobody has come out and called him a liar, do we have any sources to cite?

Then I hope like the devil that the NCAA is all up MSU's rearend like they've been up ours. 'Cause they had their own coaches and former players involved with Cecil Newton.  I have  yet to see the MSU AD make a single statement about the NCAA investigating them or institutional control.  

If you were a structural engineer and a report of a crack in a bridge came in, would you fix the crack and assume everything else is fine with the bridge? Or would you do your due diligence and search every part of the bridge to make sure you didn't miss anything?

Depends on the budget.  :P

I think the "budget"been blown out in attorney's fees for this dang investigation.

Depends on what team is being investigated.

I have been saying all along that I thought the NCAA was waiting to see what the state of Mississippi did with Kenny Rogers concerning violations in their agent's laws and what information fell out of that.  Rogers was facing the possibility of jail time and a fine with them.  I read a few weeks back that Mississippi had strengthened their agent's laws because there were weaknesses in them that were exposed by Cam Newton's recruitment.  I took that to mean they were not charging Kenny Rogers.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=37296.0

The FBI expressing interest in this last November as well and might have been after Rogers over other matters, but I haven't seen anything else concerning them.

Not that I don't believe JJ, but do we have any confirmation from anywhere, any sources that say that it IS standard procedure? I mean, I can see the logic, and believe thats what is happening.

But other than the fact that nobody has come out and called him a liar, do we have any sources to cite?

I can site three recent cases where "institutional control" came into play as a routine step in the investigative process; one of which I have followed fairly closely here in Tennessee.  Ohio State's case has been widely publicized because of Terrell Pryor's antics, but the real scandal occurred when, early in the investigation the NCAA announced they found no evidence of "institutional control".  Then after pressure from outside, they backtracked and are now looking into it.  Miami's situation reeked of lack of "institutional control" from the beginning with the photos of Shapiro with the school prez and b'ball coach.  Tennessee actually got a hand-slap from the NCAA as far as scholarships, vacated wins, etc,. simply because Bruce Pearl and his assistants fell on the sword and where given "show cause" penalities.  Of course, the fact that they were blatently guilty made that decision obvious.  Institutional control IS  a routine step, and I truly believe, based on a "little" bit of inside info, that we will emerge with, at worst, the discovery of a couple of meaningful secondary violations.

I have been saying all along that I thought the NCAA was waiting to see what the state of Mississippi did with Kenny Rogers concerning violations in their agent's laws and what information fell out of that.  Rogers was facing the possibility of jail time and a fine with them.  I read a few weeks back that Mississippi had strengthened their agent's laws because there were weaknesses in them that were exposed by Cam Newton's recruitment.  I took that to mean they were not charging Kenny Rogers.

The FBI expressing interest in this last November as well and might have been after Rogers over other matters, but I haven't seen anything else concerning them.

Why does the NCAA not treat Kenny Rogers as a booster?  He was a booster when he offered to get money for Cecil if he would send Cam to MSU.  Isn't a booster offering money a violation?  I understand that a players eligibility is only in question if he accepts money (by old rules).  But when a booster, former player with access to recruits (that's a violation btw) offers money that should be enough for probation.  Shouldn't the NCAA at least investigate to see what other players Kenny helped recruit? 

I don't recall AU ever being accused of paying anyone $180,000.  Unless you count internet rumors curculated by Updykes.  Besides, I thought $180,000 was the Mrs. St price....everyone else had to pay $200,000 right? 

Why does the NCAA not treat Kenny Rogers as a booster?  He was a booster when he offered to get money for Cecil if he would send Cam to MSU.  Isn't a booster offering money a violation?  I understand that a players eligibility is only in question if he accepts money (by old rules).  But when a booster, former player with access to recruits (that's a violation btw) offers money that should be enough for probation.  Shouldn't the NCAA at least investigate to see what other players Kenny helped recruit? 

They absolutely should - MSU had upto 3 former players involved in recruiting Cam.  They should at least get a look see from the NCAA.  You can't allow former players to run around behind the scenes trying to arrange P4P, that can't be allowed to happen.  The NCAA has got to investigate Rogers/Bond/Bell if they haven't already.  Otherwise what will stop any old player from doing exactly the same thing?

I don't recall AU ever being accused of paying anyone $180,000.  Unless you count internet rumors curculated by Updykes.  Besides, I thought $180,000 was the Mrs. St price....everyone else had to pay $200,000 right? 

Funny thing about the numbers we heard.  We heard $200k was on the table from Auburn (although it wasn't) as leverage to get a starting bid of $180k from MSU, then we heard $150k and finally $100k.  With Relf already on MSU's team with significant playing experience as their heir apparent at starting qb and also a junior, I can see why MSU wasn't in the mood to entertain those offers/bids for Newton even if MSU was paying for players as there was no guarantee he would beat out an experienced Relf.  The are similar in size, athletic ability, and neither one was considered that accurate with their passing.

There will be no question as to whether or not the NCAA did their job in the Auburn case.

With all due respect, those who have already concluded that Auburn "bought" Cam will continue to believe that we did no matter what the NCAA does or says.  Just sample the message boards of our opponents - many believe that the NCAA conspired with Slive to keep Cam eligible and chose to sweep clear and convincing evidence of our malfeasance under the rug because he was such a commercial draw.  It is ironic that this is a common theme on the free South Carolina boards, especially now that they have received an official LOI. 

I can't say that it doesn't bother me but I have really enjoyed Auburn's BCSNC, make no apologies for it and always answer "For what?" with a straight face anyone who asks if I am worried that it will eventually be stripped.  As others have noted, there is some satisfaction in the palpable disappointment of the haters who have wished so hard for the smoking gun to appear in the Milton McGregor testimony, Scott Moore "tapes", Dummy Sheridan "bagman" revelations etc. but they will continue to believe what they want to believe, not matter whether there's any evidence or not.     

On the on-going NCAA investigation: "I've got more confidence and couldn't be more proud of our compliance at Auburn and the way we do business than I am today," Jacobs said. "We've had a chance to pick up and look under every rock. There's no question that's not worth asking. Let's ask every question, let's get to the bottom of things. I couldn't be more at peace than where we are as an institution."

Seems he had some time to word things a little better... Notice he praises our compliance, not the compliance department... 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/auburn_ad_jay_jacobs_calls_tex.html

Archived