Jay Jacobs: NCAA investigation

auburntiger77

absolutely agree ... this will turn out to be a very big positive.  when this is over, assuming we come out squeaky clean which i assume we will, we need to crank up the PR machine and do every interview/media outlet we can and point out that we have gotten a ringing endorsement by the NCAA and who can claim that!!!  This could end up very good.  this also assumes they will ever finish.  also, lends a little light on the comments chizik made to the ncaa gal in destin.

I can't forget that LSU recently got a ringing endorsement on their administration's handling of compliance issues, they ended up on NCAA probation though. 

And, it appears that the NCAA still ain't done with investigations over there.  I noticed Russell Sheppard wasn't on the field last night.  Who knows what's still to come between the NCAA & LSU?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW....as stated by "TELLING TIGER"....all the other 'boards' around the leauge already stepped up on this news....and spun it their way already!!! 

Amazing....how one person reads things and everyone else reads something else and then the sheep are led to the slaughter from that one person's read on things....post on a board and it is law thereafter so it seems. 

Just have to wait and see how this all pans out...but really wished our AD and Prez would just be quite until it is really over!!!!  Everything they say or do is going to be spun badly until the NCAA says it is over and no harm, no foul....really whish this would be said soon though!!!!

jmo on the whole thing...TIFWIW.   

jmo = Just my Opinion

TIFWIW = Take it for what its worth

In case someone doesn't know what they mean.

absolutely agree ... this will turn out to be a very big positive.  when this is over, assuming we come out squeaky clean which i assume we will, we need to crank up the PR machine and do every interview/media outlet we can and point out that we have gotten a ringing endorsement by the NCAA and who can claim that!!!  This could end up very good.  this also assumes they will ever finish.  also, lends a little light on the comments chizik made to the ncaa gal in destin.

I can't forget that LSU recently got a ringing endorsement on their administration's handling of compliance issues, they ended up on NCAA probation though. 

And, it appears that the NCAA still ain't done with investigations over there.  I noticed Russell Sheppard wasn't on the field last night.  Who knows what's still to come between the NCAA & LSU?

guess i am trying to be positive ... hopefully i am not being naive.  as far as your other post ... i am assuming that gogue is trying to give the impression that he is not meddling and letting his AD handle the athletic issues.  I bet you he knows every single thing happening with it.  Too big of a PR issue for the president not to be informed.

It's probably something the NCAA does with every school that is accused of wrongdoing. It only means that they are dotting their i's and crossing their t's. They may find secondary stuff like one too many texts to athletes or something like that, but like Jay said, they are just making sure they are thorough. I'm glad they are being thorough, when they are done and nothing is found, we will be exonerated.

Let's see this same thoroughness concerning Bammer and all of their shenanigans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now BOP, bammer doesn't cheat, they don't have to. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa? It's a kids dream to live in that paradise.  Every recruit in the nation is chomping at the bit to play for tiny. I thought you knew this.  :laugh:

My daughters went down to T-Town recently for a concert and to visit a friend who's going to school there.....and one of the first things they said about it was THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!!!  It was their first trip to T-Town and they were expecting it to be nicer.:laugh:

One of the reasons I chose the loveliest village on the plains... no competition between the 2-towns...

don't find the fact that the NCAA is looking at "institutional control" very comforting. And I was surprised by this sentence: "He (Jacobs) expressed confidence Auburn has proper institutional control and said he knows of nothing new in the Cam Newton investigation within "the last month or so."

So what new info about Cam turned up just before "the last month or so?"

Also, not to be critical, but did anyone else think it was kind of a sad commentary about the NCAA and the fear they inspire that Jacobs is refusing to release public records out of deference to the NCAA? He admits in the interview that he is following NCAA rules and/or requests rather than following Alabama law. Since when do NCAA rules trump the law of the State of Alabama. Legal answer: they don't. But it seems both AU and bammer choose to comply with the state's open records law only when they want to.

I would say the Danny Sheridan BS is the last thing to come up about it. It does not say new info, it says nothing new in the last month.

I am also sure that JJ spends less time worrying about the Cam deal than we do. What everyone should be happy about is he confirms that there is no notice of inquiry.

My take,,, wanted to wait...

JJ is very confident about the investigation and what they are looking at.. The CN thing is basically dead and we were told that when PF and DS started their media smear campaign, the NCAA had discussion with Auburn and we have always felt good about that...

Now for the negative, we will report SECONDARY violations..   We will assess some minor penalties.  The NCAA wants to ensure they are doing a thorough investigation when the MEDIA gets  involved with our slap on the wrist.

My take,,, wanted to wait...

JJ is very confident about the investigation and what they are looking at.. The CN thing is basically dead and we were told that when PF and DS started their media smear campaign, the NCAA had discussion with Auburn and we have always felt good about that...

Now for the negative, we will report SECONDARY violations..   We will assess some minor penalties.  The NCAA wants to ensure they are doing a thorough investigation when the MEDIA gets  involved with our slap on the wrist.

I would agree that it plays out this way.

After AU has gone through one of the most thorough "physicals" ever known to man-kind... and still no letter or earth shattering news...  :dunno:

Why not feel good at this point...  all the supposition is just that, supposition...

Also agree we need to get this behind us "officially" for recruiting sake...

After AU has gone through one of the most thorough "colonoscopy" ever known to man-kind... and still no letter or earth shattering news...  :dunno:

Why not feel good at this point...  all the supposition is just that, supposition...

Also agree we need to get this behind us "officially" for recruiting sake...

Guest LIMESTONETIGER

Totally agree with the assessment that this is preamble to an announcement that the investigation is being declared closed.  Just like an IRS audit, when you get called in for a supposed improper claim, then prove that it was not, the auditor moves on to try to find something else irregular while they are at it.  Usually results in a minor issue being raised, which when agreed to and the penalty accepted/paid it results in the investigation being closed and lets the IRS paint it as a success because they found 'something'. 

No way JJ was slow-rolling the coming of bad news by his comments today.  Otherwise, he would have steered clear of the subject and use the 'ongoing investigation' cone-of-silence defense. 

Totally agree with the assessment that this is preamble to an announcement that the investigation is being declared closed.   Just like an IRS audit, when you get called in for a supposed improper claim, then prove that it was not, the auditor moves on to try to find something else irregular while they are at it.   Usually results in a minor issue being raised, which when agreed to and the penalty accepted/paid it results in the investigation being closed and lets the IRS paint it as a success because they found 'something'. 

No way JJ was slow-rolling the coming of bad news by his comments today.  Otherwise, he would have steered clear of the subject and use the 'ongoing investigation' cone-of-silence defense.   

Agree, I think that may be why we have not seen a release of our most recent secondary violations (last release was over a year ago and it is somewhat normal for a few of them each year).  They may be linked to this investigation and we are holding off in an effort to combine the 'IRS theory'.

I am not of the opinion as most on this thread. I am very concerned about the NCAA investigating whether there is a "lack of institutional control". This would not be an issue unless something was found by them IMO. I don't think it involves Cam one bit. I don't think it means they have found "major infractions", however they must have found some infractions. It's no coincidence that Bull missed the first game of the season because our athletic dept. made a mistake. IMO it's because the NCAA found the mistake, not us. I hope I am dead wrong on this, but we may get a slap on the wrist before this is all said and done. Just when I had forgotten about all of this garbage it gets dredged up again, ughhh!

I am not of the opinion as most on this thread. I am very concerned about the NCAA investigating whether there is a "lack of institutional control". This would not be an issue unless something was found by them. I don't think it involves Cam one bit. I don't think it means they have found "major infractions", however they must have found some infractions. It's no coincidence that Bull missed the first game of the season because our athletic dept. made a mistake. IMO it's because the NCAA found the mistake, not us. I hope I am dead wrong on this, but we may get a slap on the wrist before this is all said and done. Just when I had forgotten about all of this garbage it gets dredged up again, ughhh!

Wrong.  So much to disagree with this paragraph... can't... focus. Too... much...  Ah, never mind.  I'll just grab a beer.

I am not of the opinion as most on this thread. I am very concerned about the NCAA investigating whether there is a "lack of institutional control". This would not be an issue unless something was found by them. I don't think it involves Cam one bit. I don't think it means they have found "major infractions", however they must have found some infractions. It's no coincidence that Bull missed the first game of the season because our athletic dept. made a mistake. IMO it's because the NCAA found the mistake, not us. I hope I am dead wrong on this, but we may get a slap on the wrist before this is all said and done. Just when I had forgotten about all of this garbage it gets dredged up again, ughhh!

Wrong.  So much to disagree with this paragraph... can't... focus. Too... much...  Ah, never mind.  I'll just grab a beer.

:laugh:

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. That's your right. Logically thinking about it, I just find it very hard to believe our AD found their oversight, after two years, all by themselves. Why would they even be looking at this after two years? It just doesn't make sense. Bottom line...It is never ever good when the NCAA is looking into your AD for "lack of institutional control". If you don't understand this, then you won't get it even if it is explained to you.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. That's your right. Logically thinking about it, I just find it very hard to believe our AD found their oversight, after two years, all by themselves. Why would they even be looking at this after two years? It just doesn't make sense. Bottom line...It is never ever good when the NCAA is looking into your AD for "lack of institutional control". If you don't understand this, then you won't get it even if it is explained to you.

^^^ uncalled for response ^^^

If you aren't ready for people to disagree with your post ... don't post...

That being said, it is just as possible that the polar opposite of your take on this is true... as well as your stance may be true...

Just saying... and I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised how everything eventually shakes out, and most of them are not AU fans ...

^^^ uncalled for response ^^^

If you aren't ready for people to disagree with your post ... don't post...

That being said, it is just as possible that the polar opposite of your take on this is true... as well as your stance may be true...

Just saying... and I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised how everything eventually shakes out, and most of them are not AU fans ...

Sorry if I offended you. I gave my opinion on the situation and somebody decided they wanted to call my opinion stupid. I didn't appreciate it one bit and voiced that. Sorry again if I offended you.

Sorry if I offended you. I gave my opinion on the situation and somebody decided they wanted to call my opinion stupid. I didn't appreciate it one bit and voiced that. Sorry again if I offended you.

10, no one ever said your opinion was stupid. The exact quote is below.

Your inference was wrong and your initial response over the top.

Dear Auburn Eagle Family....maybe my briefest post yet, WHY do we continue posting conjectural fodder for other message boards and why do we respond to the conjecture on theirs?

I get "debate", but maybe it would be better served in analyzying things we actually have info regarding!

Love you all in Him....ToraGirl!

(We've got our work cut out for us tomorrow to lift up our boys for safety, protection, perseverance, execution of skill, cohesion, and Creed-representation during their first road trip!  So proud of who they are and Whom they represent, as led by Coach Chizik and company!  Could we work on controlling those things that are within our power to control?!)

:wareagle:

Nobody ever said Auburn was being investigated for lack of institutional control. Jay said the NCAA was investigating the athletic department to make sure Auburn had proper control of it's athletics program. Big difference.

I find it hard to believe that if the NCAA found something wrong with Eltoro's eligibility that he would have only sat for 1 game.

If AU had been sneaking Eltoro by for years, there is no way he only sits for 1 game and everyone not know the reason behind him sitting.

I think we have all become way too paranoid about everything football related. We are always looking for what was "not said" in statements vs. what was really said. I am not going to spend this entire year worrying about what statements "did not say" from the athletic department. I am going to enjoy every game I get to see this year, win or lose.

:wareagle:

on another note.....Weegs....you better bring it strong in the morning brother!!!

Archived