Jay Jacobs: NCAA investigation

auburntiger77

Not sure how to take this...........

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/jay_jacobs_ncaa_investigation.html

-------------------

HOOVER, Alabama -- The NCAA has been reviewing areas throughout Auburn's athletics department to ensure there is institutional control, a normal procedure during investigations, Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said Thursday.

In an interview after speaking at the Hoover Area Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Jacobs said Auburn has not received a notice of inquiry. He expressed confidence Auburn has proper institutional control and said he knows of nothing new in the Cam Newton investigation within "the last month or so."

When asked how many issues related to Auburn football are being examined, Jacobs said the NCAA wants to make sure nothing gets missed.

"The Cam one is the one that started this entire thing," Jacobs said. "But the way the process works is once they begin to look at one thing, they look at everything around your program, whether it's a coach in another sport having too many text messages and you filed a secondary report. They look at all of that.

"They're making sure we have institutional control, and there's been nothing to indicate to me or to them otherwise. So when you say how many facets, it's basically everything that may come up in a normal operation of a year -- this year, last year or two years from now. They take a look just to make sure they're not missing anything."

Jacobs said Auburn has not complied with open-records requests from The Birmingham News out of respect for the NCAA's process. Over several months, The News has requested documents related to Newton's recruitment and all of Auburn's recent NCAA secondary violations.

"Generally, when the NCAA says it isn't over with, we don't release them," Jacobs said. "They'll even look at things we may or may not have gotten a reply from the NCAA yet just to see if there's any history there, anything that jumps out to them because they've looked into things. I would think in the near future we'll be able to share everything you need. But we're not going to do that until they tell us it's OK to do that."

Jacobs said the NCAA has not communicated with him about the Newton investigation, but may be talking to Auburn's attorneys.

"The thing I've learned about the NCAA is, I have a lot more respect for them today than I did a year ago," Jacobs said. "They're very thorough. They're professional people. With all these things going on at other institutions, they just want to make sure they get it right. That's what we want to do. There's no question that doesn't justify being asked."

Auburn President Jay Gogue said last week he is uncertain the status of the NCAA investigation.

"I've never heard anything about it other than what I read in the newspapers," Gogue said. "I have not a clue what's going on. I haven't heard anything. I just see it's a constant story."

Jacobs said Auburn's image has been hurt by the length of the investigation, but doesn't fault the NCAA. The NCAA has communicated to schools across the country that it is trying to be more effective and efficient, Jacobs said.

"But when you're dealing with third parties, often times trying to get a phone record or whatever, it may be it takes time to do that," he said. "But I will tell you this, too. Some people say lack of subpoena power slows them down. That hasn't been the case with us. They've been able to get everything they want. It's frustrating to some people that it's taking so long. I'd like for it to be over in 24 hours. But that's just not the way it works."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably something the NCAA does with every school that is accused of wrongdoing. It only means that they are dotting their i's and crossing their t's. They may find secondary stuff like one too many texts to athletes or something like that, but like Jay said, they are just making sure they are thorough. I'm glad they are being thorough, when they are done and nothing is found, we will be exonerated.

Nothing to be alarmed about.  The NCAA has looked and may still be looking, but as he stated, have found no LOIC and are just being thorough.  Only problem I see, is the turds and the mediots reading a lot more in to it and suddenly it will be reported the NCAA has set up a field office on the Plains again. 

Oh well if we aren't use to it by now we never will be.

Let's just beat the faux Tigers this weekend.

:we:

Yeah, I agree with Weegs.  From what JJ has stated the NCAA is apparently not focused on the CN thing any longer and now redirecting their attention on the remaining athletic program to do their job thoroughly.  IF any major problems  were discovered we would have heard by now and JJ's words don't reflect problems either.  Doesn't mean there are no major problems to be discovered but that the likelihood of such is minimal.  Significant discoveries are usually early when info is fresh and people are in cover up mode.

The only problem will be with media monkeys like PF and Bagman Sheridan and the UpDykes saying, Look, I told you, the NCAA is still investigating AU.  That will affect recruiting and our image but only temporarily.

The major problems with the CN thing occurred at MSU but Mullen reported the problem and put into the system with the SEC early on which made us aware of potential liabilities on our end, consequently our compliance dept. had to be more thorough with CN than any other recruit before allowing him to come to AU much less play.

AU is in the healing process but the wounds will hurt for a while.

WDE !!!

I think it is a great thing.

-Jacobs says NCAA is being very thorough (Auburn wants them to be)

-Auburn is an open book and providing the NCAA with all info they need

-No new info has come out but open records request will be fulfilled upon completion

-We have been hurt by the constant attention but  want to make sure we do the right thing

These are all solid PR points when this thing wraps up.  There will be no question as to whether or not the NCAA did their job in the Auburn case.  Hopefully, we get a clean bill of health on this one and they move on to the real problem programs.  I want there to be no stone left unturned.  I want the NCAA to consider Auburn a model for compliance and cooperation.  Once they are comfortable with the controls we have in place, they will not react to pure rumor and speculation.  This is not only an investigation but also an audit. 

If they've been looking at all aspects of AU athletices for a year and a half and we have not received an LOI, my conclusion is that we are one of the cleanest programs in college.

If they've been looking at all aspects of AU athletices for a year and a half and we have not received an LOI, my conclusion is that we are one of the cleanest programs in college.

Ditto!

-No new info has come out but open records request will be fulfilled upon completion

-We have been hurt by the constant attention but  want to make sure we do the right thing

These are all solid PR points when this thing wraps up.  There will be no question as to whether or not the NCAA did their job in the Auburn case.  Hopefully, we get a clean bill of health on this one and they move on to the real problem programs.  I want there to be no stone left unturned.  I want the NCAA to consider Auburn a model for compliance and cooperation.  Once they are comfortable with the controls we have in place, they will not react to pure rumor and speculation.  This is not only an investigation but also an audit. 

Both great points

It's probably something the NCAA does with every school that is accused of wrongdoing. It only means that they are dotting their i's and crossing their t's. They may find secondary stuff like one too many texts to athletes or something like that, but like Jay said, they are just making sure they are thorough. I'm glad they are being thorough, when they are done and nothing is found, we will be exonerated.

Let's see this same thoroughness concerning Bammer and all of their shenanigans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine he'd say something like this in public in this manner if there was anything to hide or be concerned about. The only thing that concerns me a little is didn't Gouge say not too long ago that Auburn has not received any updates on the cam newton investigation and they are supposed to be given updates every 6 months if there is an ongoing investigation. This led me to believe that auburn isn't being investigated anymore. Now we hear that they are being investigated on institutional control and I'm fine with that, but are we being investigated or not? I am just assuming that the cam newton thing is pretty much done but maybe they are following up the hbo 4 story or something to see if there is any validity to this. If auburn is guilty of anything, I can't imagine it being anything even close to the level of miami or even ohio state. If a third party was getting us in trouble I'd have to imagine it would have leaked by now and nothing has so I think we are in the clear third party wise. I really believe our guys are running a clean ship. The coaches have  only been there a couple of years, I just can't imagine them creating a big cheating system in that short of a time. It's not out of the realm of possibility but it seems like most programs that have this garbage going on that is actually tied to the school has a coach that has been there for a looong time. I've always been of the opinion that cecil didn't want cam to go to state cause it was too far away and they wanted cam closer to home so that's what may have been the tie breaker between him and state. Regardless, certain people at state didn't want him to go and made a move to keep him. I won't go on because we've all heard everything else. Like everyone else in the state of alabama outside of Ttown I'm just ready for this thing to go away.

:we::believe:

Let's see this same thoroughness concerning Bammer and all of their shenanigans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now BOP, bammer doesn't cheat, they don't have to. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa? It's a kids dream to live in that paradise.  Every recruit in the nation is chomping at the bit to play for tiny. I thought you knew this.  :laugh:

One more observation, when the cam newton investigation began, didn't auburn say that they couldn't comment on the investigation (meaning he knew what they were looking for, but couldn't comment on it because it was an ongoing investigation) and now he's saying he doesn't know anything. This could mean they aren't investigating anymore, it could also mean they have moved the investigation away from auburn but are still investigating (perhaps to the west). Either way, I think it's interesting that he is saying he doesn't know what's going on with it now when it used to be we can't talk about it. Should he be saying anything like this if it's still going on? What say you?

Now BOP, bammer doesn't cheat, they don't have to. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa? It's a kids dream to live in that paradise.  Every recruit in the nation is chomping at the bit to play for tiny. I thought you knew this.  :laugh:

You're right, Weegs! I must've forgotten that UAT is as clean and pure as the driven snow!! :we:

Agreed... hopefully this gets put to rest in a couple of months...

Might want to rethink that time frame.  More likely a couple of years, unfortunately.

WDE !!!

Actually, based on his comments, looks like it could be wrapped up pretty soon.  I bet it's done before the season is over.

Even on this board, it gets  2 pages of comments, so far. Think how many more it will get elsewhere. Facts are completely lost in the present day media world. It will be spun by everyone in the way they wish to see it. It will be retold with no effort to gather the truth from it and lies will be added and accepted as truth by someone without the good sense to actually read it. His comments are needed and irrelevant at the same time. Nothing will ever quiet the baying hounds ,except a statement from the NCAA saying it is over and there is nothing there. That won't even stop the fools from saying, "they cheat".

Even on this board, it gets  2 pages of comments, so far. Think how many more it will get elsewhere. Facts are completely lost in the present day media world. It will be spun by everyone in the way they wish to see it. It will be retold with no effort to gather the truth from it and lies will be added and accepted as truth by someone without the good sense to actually read it. His comments are needed and irrelevant at the same time. Nothing will ever quiet the baying hounds ,except a statement from the NCAA saying it is over and there is nothing there. That won't even stop the fools from saying, "they cheat".

:bow:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:wedance::believe:

My daughters went down to T-Town recently for a concert and to visit a friend who's going to school there.....and one of the first things they said about it was THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!!!  It was their first trip to T-Town and they were expecting it to be nicer.:laugh:

absolutely agree ... this will turn out to be a very big positive.  when this is over, assuming we come out squeaky clean which i assume we will, we need to crank up the PR machine and do every interview/media outlet we can and point out that we have gotten a ringing endorsement by the NCAA and who can claim that!!!  This could end up very good.  this also assumes they will ever finish.  also, lends a little light on the comments chizik made to the ncaa gal in destin.

Auburn President Jay Gogue said last week he is uncertain the status of the NCAA investigation.

]"I've never heard anything about it other than what I read in the newspapers," Gogue said. "I have not a clue what's going on. I haven't heard anything. I just see it's a constant story."

???????

What in the world does this mean?  Why would the AU President have no clue what's going on?  Does he not realize that AU has paid attorney's nearly half a million dollars thus far? 

Jay Jacobs appears well versed in NCAA policies and procedures and he seems to know what's going on with the investigation.  Yet, the Auburn University President has no clue?

Archived