Realistic Expectations for 2011-2012 Season

roe4christ

What do think is a realistic season for Auburn this year?  Barbee has said that last year was not about wins and losses, but to build a foundation and a winning attitude. The talent level has improved as the roster was decimated last season.  It will take a few seasons to build up the roster.  What do you think will be the final season win/loss record?  Do we somehow make the big dance, NIT or are we still a season away? What say you?

What do think is a realistic season for Auburn this year?  Barbee has said that last year was not about wins and losses, but to build a foundation and a winning attitude. The talent level has improved as the roster was decimated last season.  It will take a few seasons to build up the roster.  What do you think will be the final season win/loss record?  Do we somehow make the big dance, NIT or are we still a season away? What say you?

I predict go 10-6 or 9-7 in the SEC. We will be drastically better than last year.  :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get too optimistic just yet....prob a Final 4 run, or maybe Elite 8, but nothing more than that. 

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to contend for the West, win a game or two in the SEC tourney and make the big dance.  I will be disappointed if we don't make the post season, at least an NIT berth. 

As last season went on, you started to see something special happening with the program, the players were believing they can win.  With the additions this year not only in depth but on court leadership with Sullivan back, an NCAA bid will not surprise me.  Barbee can coach and if the freshman bigs can give some quality minutes, especially defensively, not worried about the offensive end, this team will surprise. 

i think we will be solid on the defensive end.  we need one of our big men to be consistent on the boards.  i think chubb will start out serviceable ... i hope i am wrong about that and the extra weight/off-season work pays off for him.  Kouassi is going to provide some minutes in the out of conf games, but will be shocked at the sec big men.

I think our O will be solid.  we win 75% of our OOC games and 50% of our sec games which puts us right about 18 wins and in the NIT for sure, maybe a bubble team for the NCAA depending upon who our sec wins are against (the ooc games wont do much for us, i dont think)

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to contend for the West, win a game or two in the SEC tourney and make the big dance.  I will be disappointed if we don't make the post season, at least an NIT berth.   

no more divisions in the SEC

That's why the schedule looked a little different, makes sense now.

Completely slipped my mind.  We need to get out to a good start in our non-conference schedule.  Our SEC schedule looks manageable to get to .500 or better in conference. So just a projection that is doable in my opinion would be 9-5 non-conference, 8-8 conference, gives us 17-12 going into the SEC tourney.  One win there and we are likely a bubble team, two wins and we are likely in. 

Completely slipped my mind.  We need to get out to a good start in our non-conference schedule.  Our SEC schedule looks manageable to get to .500 or better in conference. So just a projection that is doable in my opinion would be 9-5 non-conference, 8-8 conference, gives us 17-12 going into the SEC tourney.  One win there and we are likely a bubble team, two wins and we are likely in. 

No way we get in with under 20 wins with how the Country sees the SEC in bball and the fact that we dont really play anybody out of conference.

Well, for all practical purposes, nothing has changed. The schedules are still based on the divisions that is currently used in Football and has been used in MBB since the creation of the two divisions. You play a home and home series every year with those in your division and play everyone on the other side once a season.

The only difference is there are no divisional standings anymore--regardless of the schedules, all SEC games are equal and count toward an overall champion. It's mainly just a perception thing.

Keeps people from focusing on one division being "down" and a division champion getting their great win-loss record because of weak opponents.

Well, for all practical purposes, nothing has changed. The schedules are still based on the divisions that is currently used in Football and has been used in MBB since the creation of the two divisions. You play a home and home series every year with those in your division and play everyone on the other side once a season.

The only difference is there are no divisional standings anymore--regardless of the schedules, all SEC games are equal and count toward an overall champion. It's mainly just a perception thing.

Keeps people from focusing on one division being "down" and a division champion getting their great win-loss record because of weak opponents.

Yeah it really only affects seating in the SEC tourny

I  fully expect to see AU in the big dance.  this team will surprise.

I hope you are right but I want to see a few games before I can agree or disagree with you.

Basketball is "home court advantage" sport and we need to give our team a true home court advantage with noisy crowds and full houses. 

We have something like 17 or 18 home games and the majority of them can be won.    Also, win a handful of the SEC games on the road and some of the tournament games and we should play somewhere in post-season.

:we:

We will lose some close games if we don't improve our free throw shooting.  I'm not sure why we seem to historically have pathetic free throw shooting stats, but we've been bad for a while.  Other teams know this, and have no problem fouling any of our players and putting them on the line at the end of games.  I bet our poor FT shooting costs us at least 4 or more games this year.

:banghead:

Archived