Realistic Expectations for 2011-2012 Season

roe4christ

We play 28 games, 16 of which are in the conference (8 home and 8 away), and 3 are against quality non-conference teams.  That is 19 highly competitive games. Assuming we win the 9 (2 in the books already) we are supposed to out of conference we would have to win 11 more to get to 20 wins. Then assume we when 7 of 8 SEC games at home, that would leave us at 16 wins, needing to win 4 SEC road games to get to 20 wins.

While I would love to see that and it is achievable, I don't think that should be the expectation for this team, primarily because this group is unproven. I would expect more in the neighborhood of 17 wins going into the SEC tourney, win some there and we are in the discussion of the tourney, as long as we don't have any bad losses.

The bubble is always right around 20 wins with a .500 conference record.  RPI will also be a deciding factor, but the SEC will command around 5 teams.

We play 28 games, 16 of which are in the conference (8 home and 8 away), and 3 are against quality non-conference teams.  That is 19 highly competitive games. Assuming we win the 9 (2 in the books already) we are supposed to out of conference we would have to win 11 more to get to 20 wins. Then assume we when 7 of 8 SEC games at home, that would leave us at 16 wins, needing to win 4 SEC road games to get to 20 wins.

While I would love to see that and it is achievable, I don't think that should be the expectation for this team, primarily because this group is unproven. I would expect more in the neighborhood of 17 wins going into the SEC tourney, win some there and we are in the discussion of the tourney, as long as we don't have any bad losses.

The bubble is always right around 20 wins with a .500 conference record.  RPI will also be a deciding factor, but the SEC will command around 5 teams.

Agreed, although I would also submit that winning 7 of 8 SEC home games will be difficult. We are certainly improving, but it usually does take a little while. I am super optimistic where we are heading though. WDE.

Agreed, although I would also submit that winning 7 of 8 SEC home games will be difficult. We are certainly improving, but it usually does take a little while. I am super optimistic where we are heading though. WDE.

I completely agree, was only trying to demonstrate that it would be very difficult to get to 20 wins, even if we did when that many home games. 

I really think this early schedule will show us a lot about this team. 

18-20 wins. If we keep grabbing rebounds aggresivley and improve greatly on FT shooting. I am happy we have a few more big men on the team. War Eagle!!

17 wins, NIT and keep the losses respectible will be a nice improvement from last year.  I will, however expect regular 20 win seasons after that, which includes a more difficult out of conference schedule.  I am excited about this team and the future.

17 wins, NIT and keep the losses respectible will be a nice improvement from last year.  I will, however expect regular 20 win seasons after that, which includes a more difficult out of conference schedule.  I am excited about this team and the future.

I believe this is a very realistic expectation. But I will wait until after tourney in Hawaii to see how we do aginst better level talent before I will totally buy into as much improvement as everybody is predicting. One reason I am not quite as high on this team as others is not because I don't see the improvemet it is there and I am proud of the job Barbee has done but I have watched some other SEC teams this year and I believe as a league we are much improved this year which will negate some of our improvement.

I believe this is a very realistic expectation. But I will wait until after tourney in Hawaii to see how we do aginst better level talent before I will totally buy into as much improvement as everybody is predicting. One reason I am not quite as high on this team as others is not because I don't see the improvemet it is there and I am proud of the job Barbee has done but I have watched some other SEC teams this year and I believe as a league we are much improved this year which will negate some of our improvement.

I don't think we have been watching the same SEC teams then, because several teams have looked pretty bad thus far.

I don't think we have been watching the same SEC teams then, because several teams have looked pretty bad thus far.

Alabama 4-0

Miss. State 4-1 beat two top 25 teams

Ga 3-0

KY 3-0 beat 1 top 25 team

FL 2-1 loss was to a top 25 team

SEC has played 4 Top 25 teams and beat 3 of them.

I would say I was watching at least a few good teams from the SEC>

Archived