Wrestling at Auburn

Tiger Oak

I noticed that Missouri has a men's wrestling team and remember that Auburn once had a pretty good team as well. It was cut because of title 9 back in the 80's. Is there any chance that wrestling may be brought back to the SEC? 

I noticed that Missouri has a men's wrestling team and remember that Auburn once had a pretty good team as well. It was cut because of title 9 back in the 80's. Is there any chance that wrestling may be brought back to the SEC? 

Doubt it; would have to be a club sport or take schollies from somewhere else. Would be great but just not in the cards probably.

Swede Umback was the coach and one of his wrestlers and Grad assistants (Coach Daniels) has been an assistant coach at Allen, HS in Texas for last few years.  Allen has become the dominant HS wrestling program in Texas winning both Team and Dual Meet team State Championships.

No disrespect Oak but pretty good my you know what............. I had quite a few friends who were on the team. Craziest bunch of guys you would ever want to meet. Party animals as well...........

Swede's Auburn team won 249 dual meets, lost only 28, and tied five. During this period, he coached 127 conference champions and four national champions

My Dad raved about those days, other than the football team, Swede's wrestling teams were his pride and joy. I wish we had em again :(:we:

God I'm old.............. but your Dad was right Auburn loved its wrestling team

My Dad raved about those days, other than the football team, Swede's wrestling teams were his pride and joy. I wish we had em again :(:we:

God I'm old.............. but your Dad was right Auburn loved its wrestling team

Coach was a great man; hard but fair on his wrestlers. Hated it when we had to drop the program.

Title 19 needs to be revisited.  I agree that women need equal opportunities to get athletic scholarships. But because one mens sport football (which pays the bills for all other sports) has so many scholarships we hav had to drop other great sports like wrestling.

I don't know the solution but I wish there was some type of formula that would protect womens sports and not hurt some of the other mens sports.  Maybe something like women have as many scholarships as all other mens sports except football then 35-45 more womens scholarships instead of the 85 currently.

Lets say 45 instead of 85 no less scholarships for women then currently have.  Lets say we add wrestling and 20 scholarships.  Women don;t lose any scholarships but have 20 less then men as none are added for wrestling.  Add another program to men with 20 scholarships again women stay at same which 40 less than men add a third program of 20 then women would need a new program with 20 scholarships.

Archived