Dirk Koetter info from today

AuburnWarVet

Guest Tigereagle03

Boyze St and Arizona St?  Those are some power houses boy!

They will put the fear in yu!

Not what I would call impressive at them either in weak conferences too.

Sorry, just don't see him ranking above a 5 out of 10 too me.

Boise would have beat us by 3 tds this year..

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read a little about him and must say I am not very excited. If true, I'll give him a shot, but I hope he proves me wrong. Nothing he has accomplished has jumped off the page if you know what I mean. But hey! at least it's not Neil Calloway.

You must have looked over his collegiate career.

Nothing stood out to me as 'great hire' either, but I will admit I am spoiled by having Gus at Auburn  ;D

Asked in another thread somewhere, what type of offense does he run? I would like to see us go to an al borges type west coast spread.

Haha.... They might not be on the Michigan, OSU, ND level, but I know one thing.... Pease from BSU is the most sought after OC in the coutry right now.  

Koetter posted  a 1–11 record against top 10 teams, and was 2–19 against ranked teams as a HC in the college ranks. Not sure if this will do us any good since most of all the SEC is always ranked.

It just about amounts to hiring a 5 - 19 Iowa St. HC. Now that was a disaster

Is 2 multiple?

Who is saying these things?

I hope he wins every game he coaches if that is who we hired. Right now, just not impressed.

Our last OC came from Tulsa.  :dunno: Also, he was coaching high school in 2005.

Koetter posted  a 1–11 record against top 10 teams, and was 2–19 against ranked teams as a HC in the college ranks. Not sure if this will do us any good since most of all the SEC is always ranked.

And Coach Chizik was 5 - 19 as a HC before he came to Auburn ... your point is?

Yes, and he's not applying for the HC position FYI. 

My only reservation on Koetter is the Darnell Henderson rape case.  Koetter went to bat for the kid when there were OBVIOUS warning signs that the kid had SERIOUS issues (not smoking a little weed or getting into a few fights or drinking a few beers type issues....like grabbing, threatening, and exposing himself to young women type issues).  Koetter hade a horrible decision in this case and a college student was raped because of it.  

Google it, read about it and see if it changes your opinion of Koetter.    

Well at least Chizik had a national championship ring to go along with it as a DC. I think we can do better if you ask me just my thought thats all.

To DRW:

If Chizik hires Koetter that means that he wants to go to a pro style offense.  

I can't think of a better candidate than Dirk Koetter to help with that.  He has had success in the NFL and coached a college offense to the number #1 total offense in the nation.  Jacksonville is a very tough place to coach and he put together a good offense there when he had a decent QB in Garrard.  Imagine if he had a good QB.

Our last OC came from Tulsa.  :dunno: Also, he was coaching high school in 2005.

Well then! Lets go hire a pee wee OC! By that reasoning he should be a whirlwind of a coach.

Yes, and he's not applying for the HC position FYI. 

Not sure if that was meant for me or not but it doesn't matter if he is applying for the HC position or not. The fact I'm trying to make is that we do not need to look at records and judge them if they aren't a winning coach at another school. No one wanted the Chizik hire to take place (or at least not that many) and look what happened with that? It took him only two years to bring a National Championship to Auburn.

Bootskii bringing up the record as a HC just reminds me of people saying Coach Chizik couldn't win because he had a losing record before coming to Auburn.

Well at least Chizik had a national championship ring to go along with it as a DC. I think we can do better if you ask me just my thought thats all.

Who is better that we can get?

BTW, if we're only going to consider W/L records, then Terry Bowden would be the obvious choice.  He's won everywhere he's been.  All in favor of Terry Bowden.......(crickets).  

BTW, if we're only going to consider W/L records, then Terry Bowden would be the obvious choice.  He's won everywhere he's been.  All in favor of Terry Bowden.......(crickets).  

You won't hear anyone here say they want Bowden, but it ain't because he couldn't coach an offense    ;D

Who is better that we can get?

I don't know just someone who runs the same style of offense we have right now. Those are the types of players we have recruited so far and that is what high school recruits like. I think the Jets and the Chiefs are eyeing Koetter to be their next OC anyways.

My only reservation on Koetter is the Darnell Henderson rape case.  Koetter went to bat for the kid when there were OBVIOUS warning signs that the kid had SERIOUS issues (not smoking a little weed or getting into a few fights or drinking a few beers type issues....like grabbing, threatening, and exposing himself to young women type issues).  Koetter hade a horrible decision in this case and a college student was raped because of it.  

Google it, read about it and see if it changes your opinion of Koetter.    

I am glad you posted that DANSBY.

To DRW:

If Chizik hires Koetter that means that he wants to go to a pro style offense.  

I can't think of a better candidate than Dirk Koetter to help with that.  He has had success in the NFL and coached a college offense to the number #1 total offense in the nation.  Jacksonville is a very tough place to coach and he put together a good offense there when he had a decent QB in Garrard.  Imagine if he had a good QB.

I missed the #1 Total Offense in  college stat. Who was he coaching then? Boise St or Arizona St? HC or OC?

Guest Montressor

"While also serving as offensive coordinator, Koetter helped the Sun Devils average nearly 30 points per game over six seasons and the team was ranked in the top 20 in the nation in passing offense in five of his six seasons."

"Koetter molded Arizona State's all-time leading passer in Andrew Walter, its top career receiver in Derek Hagan and the top tight end in school history in Zach Miller. Walter, who played his final three seasons under Koetter, left as the Pac-10's career leader for touchdown passes with 85, surpassing John Elway who threw for 77 touchdowns at Stanford from 1979-82. Hagan, who was a third-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2006, finished with a school-record 14 100-yard receiving games. Miller finished the 2006 season as the school's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards for a tight end and was one of three finalists for the John Mackey Award."

We know we'll be a great running team (as long as our HC's name ain't Tot) so it will be nice to have a passing attack to go along with it.  Balanced O!  Shut down D!  It's all coming together.  

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Dirk-Koetter/206f0879-0554-4b2d-bb74-d85fb3718d19

When Koetter was hired as the Jaguars' offensive coordinator in 2007 after he was fired as Arizona State's head coach, he had the reputation for being a passing coach.

"I'm absolutely more comfortable in the passing game, but one guy, one coach doesn't just dictate that," Koetter said. "That depends on the philosophy of your general manager, the philosophy of your head coach. How good is your defense? How good is your kicking game? How good is your quarterback? Can you protect the quarterback? There are a lot of things that go into whether you can run or pass the ball besides my preference."

And he admits his preference is throwing the ball.

"Absolutely," Koetter said. "That's my background. My background is in the passing game, but again, they don't pay you as a coach to go with your preference. They pay you to try to help the team win. It's the ultimate team game, and so there are things involved with whether you run or pass more, besides just what I like."

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-05-22/story/jaguars-offensive-coordinator-dirk-koetter-prefers-pass#ixzz1j4WOlHGR

5-22-2010

Archived