Dirk Koetter info from today

AuburnWarVet

Information from Coaching Search.com...nothing concrete just some information I saw and thought I would share.

Auburn: Gene Chizik and company have kept things very tight-lipped.  I try to stay away from speculation, but my inbox has an enormously high volume of requests for an Auburn update.  My guess is that Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is involved because of his relationship with Auburn offensive line coach Jeff Grimes.  Both sides could be making sure Koetter doesn't land another coordinator position at the NFL level. You can bet Chizik has a backup plan.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a longtime Jags fan, this saddens me greatly for Auburn if true.  Jags offense has been anemic under Koetter.  College is a different game for sure, so who knows.  Certainly Carroll, Saban, Spurrier, etc. have been far better in college than pros.  If we get Dirk, hopefully he follows in those trends.

As a longtime Jags fan, this saddens me greatly for Auburn if true.  Jags offense has been anemic under Koetter.  College is a different game for sure, so who knows.  Certainly Carroll, Saban, Spurrier, etc. have been far better in college than pros.  If we get Dirk, hopefully he follows in those trends.

The last coach that we hired from the Jags turned out to be a pretty good offensive mind.

The last coach that we hired from the Jags turned out to be a pretty good offensive mind.

Bump

Most would consider this a fantastic hire.  Jags rookie qb is not that good.

Yeah, he didn't have too much to work with in Jac.  He had one of the leading rushers in the NFL in Drew.  But, I can't name one good WR, TE, or OL off  the top of my head.  He would be a solid hire.  He has broke down, and prepared for NFL D's for many years.  He has a ton of college experience as well.  Go get him.  

I love that Koetter could walk into a recruit's house & point the having the NFL rush champion. Most sensible people would realize that David Garrard & the rookie QB Gabbert are not ideal in building an offense in a league that is a QB driven league. His college offense numbers look really good.

:wedance:

Here's his bio from the Jag's website:

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Dirk-Koetter/206f0879-0554-4b2d-bb74-d85fb3718d19

I think he adapts his offense around his team's strengths.  While at Arizona State, he passed a lot with Andrew Walter as his QB.  At Jacksonville, MJD was the centerpoint of his offense, running and catching the ball out of the backfield.

His offenses have generally been explosive in college.  I don't think this past season is an indication of what he is capable of doing.

Sounds like his offensives haven't been all that bad....

From his bio page linked above:

Through Koetter’s first four years with the Jaguars (2007-10) the team’s offense ranks 13th in the NFL in total yards (338.6 per game), sixth in rushing (134.2), fifth in third-down conversions (43.0%), fifth in average per rush (4.5), ninth in fewest giveaways (101) and fifth with only 52 interceptions thrown.

Had a bad year this past one but that was with a rookie QB. I would personally be stoked if we were able to land him! Wonder if he is at all interested in returning to the college level?

Any thoughts on who might be the front runner to be DC? Ok, let me try this again. Any thoughts on who might be the front runner to be DC now that Stoops is out of the picture?

I saw where ST posted on a Q/A thread he still beleives that Mark Stopps is the front runner until FSU officially comes and says they gave him a raise and he is staying.  I tend to agree wit ST.

Here is a link to his bio with lots of info (long article) while at Arizona State.  Looked to have some good offenses while in college:

www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/koetter_dirk00.html

The ability that Koetter has historically had to successfully develop and utilize quarterbacks was taken to a new level in 2005, thanks to the impressive performances by junior Sam Keller and redshirt freshman Rudy Carpenter, who combined for all but 43 of a single-season ASU record 4,481 passing yards. ASU finished second in the nation in total offense, averaging 519.1 yards per game, led by its aerial attack that ranked third nationally, averaging 373.4 passing yards per game. The Sun Devils also finished seventh in the nation in scoring offense, accounting for 36.8 points per game.

While at Boise State...

Meanwhile, like never before, the Broncos were invading the national football scene at the sport's highest amateur level. At the end of the regular season, that was BSU ranked No.1 in scoring offense - not in the Big West, not on the West Coast, but in the nation. That was BSU at No. 2 in total offense and No. 4 in passing offense. At the helm of Koetter's big-play attack, that was quarterback Bart Hendricks leading the nation in passing efficiency and touchdown passes. Producing 330.27 yards per game, that was Hendricks ranking fourth in total offense. That was Hendricks, too, leading the Broncos in BSU's second straight Humanitarian Bowl win, toppling Texas El-Paso 38-23. As if demonstrating the versatility of Koetter's offense to ASU fans eagerly watching on ESPN2, Hendricks threw two touchdown passes, ran for one and caught another. Koetter's career record at BSU wrapped at 26-10, including wins in 20 of his last 25 games. To his incumbent staff, he not only left winning streaks of seven overall and 14 at home (including the two bowl wins) upon which to build. More importantly, he left proof that Boise State could not only compete, it could excel.

Best candidate we've talked about so far. Hope we get him. Let's say theoretically speaking we get him and Stoops. That'd be the hires of the century! With good Defense and good QB play we would be unstoppable. Everything else is in place especially with the way our O-line is progressing.

Best candidate we've talked about so far. Hope we get him. Let's say theoretically speaking we get him and Stoops. That'd be the hires of the century! With good Defense and good QB play we would be unstoppable. Everything else is in place especially with the way our O-line is progressing.

I think it would be an interesting hire...of course its all speculation at this point, as my original post said they guy was guessing...but to be honest with you it doesn't matter to me who they hire as long as CGC beleives it is the right fit for Auburn.

I would be fine with Koetter.  I am pretty sure Stoops is not an option any longer for DC.

wde

I would be fine with Koetter.  I am pretty sure Stoops is not an option any longer for DC.

wde

I'd be just as happy with Hudson as DC, not as happy as I'd be with Randy Shannon, but happy.

I'd be just as happy with Hudson as DC

This right here. Me likes Hudson. Also my two favorites for the OC spot is P Montgomery and Koetter. If we landed either of those two along with Hudson, I would be sh!tn gold nuggets for the next few days.

wde

I'd be just as happy with Hudson as DC, not as happy as I'd be with Randy Shannon, but happy.

I agree about Hudson as well and I kind of like his potential better than Shannon's at this point.  Also, I think if we were targeting Shannon, we would have had him by now.

wde

I would love to see him to AU, but I just don't see the incentive in leaving a pro OC job for a college OC job.

I agree but he is the current interim HC at Jacksonville and most likely won't be retained by the new coach. Being a college OC>>> QB coach in the NFL. Since he was very interested in becoming HC at Hawaii he obviously doesn't have a problem coming back to college imo.

Since he was very interested in becoming HC at Hawaii he obviously doesn't have a problem coming back to college imo.

This

That's my one thing with Raheem Morris as DC. He left the NFL for one year to be DC at WVU and then went right back to the NFL as a position coach. I think he's a NFL man for life and would just do the same thing here.

Archived