Doubleheader Preview

Here's a look at what the Tigers will be facing Sunday

Game 1: Rob Zastryzny (LHP) Sophomore

- Compiled a 4.33 ERA in 16 games (15 starts) for the Tigers in 2011 while posting a 2-5 record en-route to earning All-Big 12 Freshman Team honors.

- His 87.1 innings pitched were second-best on the team to only Matt Stites in 2011.

- Boasted a 70-27 strikeout-walk ratio on the season.

- Emerged as the Tigers' Friday night starter midway through the 2011 season.

- Has a solid fastball with good speed difference to his changeup. Also has a slider

- Has incredible high school numbers, was 17-1 with a 0.20 ERA and 198 strikeouts in his senior season and was named all-state in 2010 and was a second team All-American.

- Was also the All-South Texas Pitcher of the Year in 2010.

Game 2: Jeff Cline (RHP) RS Sophomore

- JUCO transfer from Maplewoods Community College that posted a 6-3 record with a 2.3 ERA last season, and registered 58 strikeouts.

- Some high school notes on him, he batted .510 with 3 home runs and 29 RBI his Senior year.

- He also pitched to a 4-2 record with a .43 ERA and registered 62 strikeouts in his final season.

- Was  hosen as a Second team All-Conference Pitcher in his Sophomore season, as well as receiving Rookie of the Year honors and was chosen to the Second All-District team and was a First team All-Conference pitcher his Junior season.

- Also chosen as a First team All-District pitcher, First team All-Conference pitcher, First team Utility player for the All-Conference team, and won the MVP Award, Silver Bat Award, and CY Young Award in his Senior season.

- Not much info out there on him but seems to be a good baseball player

Rob might be a tough matchup for us with the amount of left handed hitters that were in the lineup Friday. Personally I think we split these tomorrow which would be solid. They have some good bats on their team that we didn't really get to see because Varnardore was absolutely on fire yesterday. Connor Mach, Blake Brown, and Brannon Champagne seem to be considered their top 3 hitters who went a combined 3-11 HR RBI 4 SO yesterday. I'm hoping to see us get more hits with RISP as well as cut down on errors. There isn't much power in this lineup so the formula for success has to be efficient small ball play. Here's to hoping we can sweep Mizzou tomorrow!

:we:

The weather will not be perfect today but it's always a perfect day to "play two!"  There could be some strong winds out of the N & NW.  Unless I am mistaken, that would be blowing out to right-center field. 

Friday was perfect weather for opening day and my biggest concern was our inability to consistently get bunts down.  I am sure they will be working on that along with eliminating a couple of errors.  I do wonder if we need to work on touching 3rd on our way from 2nd to home...  :dunno:  Varnadore was "lights out" and we do have a great deal of speed in the outfield. 

I am so glad the season is here! 

:wareagle:

Archived