Weird Rule

AUTUmike

A player can jump above the cross bar on a field goal attempt and bat the ball away. If the ball then travels out of bounds it is a safety (kicking team +2); if the ball is batted and is recovered in the end zone by the defense it is also a safety (kicking team +2); if the ball is batted and recovered by the kicking team then it is a live ball, but the defense cannot advance it. However, if the defense jumps above the cross bar and catches the ball then it acts like a regular FG return.

hmmm, did not know that.  then why do we not have our tallest player with the biggest vertical standing under the field goal to try and block the long ones?

sounds like a bad idea to block and recover the ball unless you batt it back up in to the actual field of play to about the 25 yd line or better. but then you run the risk of the ball going out of bounds from players trying to kill the ball when batting it back up the field.Best to just let it go. Otherwise you could give up a safety or get your offense pinned deap in your own side of the field.

really dumb rules created by really dumb people in charge. Sounds a lot like the military.

Too many bad things can happen.  The ONLY time I would put someone back to block the FG at the goalpost would be if that kick wins the game.

Too many bad things can happen.  The ONLY time I would put someone back to block the FG at the goalpost would be if that kick wins the game.

This was my thought too. However, batting the ball is technically a penalty so I assume the kicking team could just accept the penalty and move up 5-15 yards rather than just settling for two points and a safety. Although I guess if the kick was going in anyway then what do you have to lose in batting it down and making them re-kick from a closer distance?

This was my thought too. However, batting the ball is technically a penalty so I assume the kicking team could just accept the penalty and move up 5-15 yards rather than just settling for two points and a safety. Although I guess if the kick was going in anyway then what do you have to lose in batting it down and making them re-kick from a closer distance?

well, with this rule it looks like it's no longer a penalty. but the consequences of batting it down could cost you big time.

well, with this rule it looks like it's no longer a penalty. but the consequences of batting it down could cost you big time.

From what I saw, it was a penalty UNLESS you catch it, in which case no foul was committed. I'd love to see this actully occur sometime.

Ok.  So the only scenario in which this rule would apply would be if you were up by 2 and your opponent is kicking a long field goal for the win.  You put a guy back there and when he realizes that the ball will just clear the cross bar for the win, he jumps up and catches the ball, kneeling it in the the endzone.  Your opponent receives 2 points and you force OT.

Ok.  So the only scenario in which this rule would apply would be if you were up by 2 and your opponent is kicking a long field goal for the win.  You put a guy back there and when he realizes that the ball will just clear the cross bar for the win, he jumps up and catches the ball, kneeling it in the the endzone.  Your opponent receives 2 points and you force OT.

Actually if he catches it then he can return it out of the end zone for the win.

Strange.

This would typically happen on 4th an medium toward the end of the game.

I am not an offensive guy,  but I imagine the offense would just run a play directed at the position that is missing the player (who is now a goal post blocking guard.)

IE

replace a lineman for a man deep the O should just run at the hole.

Use a  LB   Pass across the middle. 

use a CB or S  hit the WR in stride.

the game will become 11 men  vs 10 men with a hole in their offense.

A player can jump above the cross bar on a field goal attempt and bat the ball away. If the ball then travels out of bounds it is a safety (kicking team +2); if the ball is batted and is recovered in the end zone by the defense it is also a safety (kicking team +2); if the ball is batted and recovered by the kicking team then it is a live ball, but the defense cannot advance it. However, if the defense jumps above the cross bar and catches the ball then it acts like a regular FG return.

Are you sure about all that?  I don't see it as any different than a blocked field goal attempt any where else on the field and I would think touch back instead of safety.

Actually if he catches it then he can return it out of the end zone for the win.

Ah, good call.

Are you sure about all that?  I don't see it as any different than a blocked field goal attempt any where else on the field and I would think touch back instead of safety.

I'm not sure.  I posted that scenario based on the OP's interpretation of the rule.  I didn't do any independent research.  Also, as somone else has pointed out, you could return the ball out of the endzone for the win.

This was my point.

Archived