What It's Like To Live In Texas

dave69

I live in Fort Worth and I have cable TV with roughly 75 bijillion channels.  I am blessed to watch basketball conference playoffs in the following conferences:  Big Ten (or ever what the Hell they call themselves now), Big East, ACC, Big 12, C USA, Pac 12, MWC, and Southland.  Isn't that wonderful?  What in the Hell did the SEC do to piss off the world regarding basketball?  I've also noticed that in my local newspaper they report college baseball scores for everyone but the SEC.  Thank God for ESPN3.com.  That's my only chance to watch the game against Ole Miss tonight.

WDE

I live in Fort Worth and I have cable TV with roughly 75 bijillion channels.  I am blessed to watch basketball conference playoffs in the following conferences:  Big Ten (or ever what the Hell they call themselves now), Big East, ACC, Big 12, C USA, Pac 12, MWC, and Southland.  Isn't that wonderful?  What in the Hell did the SEC do to piss off the world regarding basketball?  I've also noticed that in my local newspaper they report college baseball scores for everyone but the SEC.  Thank God for ESPN3.com.  That's my only chance to watch the game against Ole Miss tonight.

WDE

I lived in Dallas for about 12 years and most of it was in the 80's.  BEFORE Oklahoma and Georgia sued for the schools and conferences to have their own tv rights.  You have it made my friend! 

Seriously, I'm thinking Dallas Morning News may be better at covering the SEC than the Star Telegram.  I do feel your pain though.  90% of what I got to watch was SWC and Big 12.  Luckily for me I had a friend who played at Oklahoma and another at TCU so I just went with them to see their teams a lot.

It was VERY frustrating in the 80's when Auiburn was so darned good in football and basketball.  Maybe the long awaited SEC network will be offered in Ft. Worth.  (Having aTm moving should help too.)

I lived in Dallas for about 12 years and most of it was in the 80's.  BEFORE Oklahoma and Georgia sued for the schools and conferences to have their own tv rights.  You have it made my friend! 

Seriously, I'm thinking Dallas Morning News may be better at covering the SEC than the Star Telegram.  I do feel your pain though.  90% of what I got to watch was SWC and Big 12.  Luckily for me I had a friend who played at Oklahoma and another at TCU so I just went with them to see their teams a lot.

It was VERY frustrating in the 80's when Auiburn was so darned good in football and basketball.  Maybe the long awaited SEC network will be offered in Ft. Worth.  (Having aTm moving should help too.)

I hope you're right but with my luck having aTm in the league will only change the situation in the Houston (south Texas) area.

War Eagle

Spent the first 11 years of my life in Irving.  Still miss Braums Ice Cream!!!!  Yum!!! Had a friend bring me some for Christmas though!! There's nothing like it !!!  I live in Birmingham and was stoked when we got Whataburger!!!

I'm in The Rocket City.  I  miss Whataburger too.  I wanna go back!  I used to put 3-4 gallons of Blue Bell in a cooler with dry ice and bring it to Alabama when I visited 'my kin'.

I used to bootleg Coors from Texas before it was sold any farther east than that, the early 80s.  Profitable but not worth the risk.  I Got stopped in Mississippi with 20 cases in a Camaro.  Yes, insert Smokey and the Bandit references here.   

Spent the first 11 years of my life in Irving.  Still miss Braums Ice Cream!!!!  Yum!!! Had a friend bring me some for Christmas though!! There's nothing like it !!!  I live in Birmingham and was stoked when we got Whataburger!!!

Small world, I'm from Irving.

I used to bootleg Coors from Texas before it was sold any farther east than that, the early 80s.  Profitable but not worth the risk.  I Got stopped in Mississippi with 20 cases in a Camaro.  Yes, insert Smokey and the Bandit references here.     

I used to do the same thing in early 70's. Could buy a case of Coors for around $5.50 in Texas and sold it in advance to Fraternities for $20-22.00 a case. One run would pay my tution for the Quarter. Unlike you me and my buddy were lucky we never got caught.  We were young and stupid but lucky. 

What is funny I never liked Coors beer.

By the way I now live in Allen, Texas and it is true there is very little coverage of SEC here maybe A&M will change that.

One of my best friends is still in Dallas.  After I moved back to Alabama from Dallas there have been a few games where I called him, put my phone next to a radio speaker, and let him listen to the game on his phone.

When I was there the local Dallas Auburn club was pretty good about drawing a good crowd to watch the games together. I don't know where they meet now but I hope you guys in D/FW can catch a few games with them. It's fun when you have a 100 Aubies in a bar together watching a big game.

One of my best friends is still in Dallas.   After I moved back to Alabama from Dallas there have been a few games where I called him, put my phone next to a radio speaker, and let him listen to the game on his phone.

When I was there the local Dallas Auburn club was pretty good about drawing a good crowd to watch the games together. I don't know where they meet now but I hope you guys in D/FW can catch a few games with them. It's fun when you have a 100 Aubies in a bar together watching a big game.

Actually, when it comes to football, we get almost all of the Auburn games now.  But when I moved here in '70 there were very few college games televised and at times I had to drive 150 miles east and get a motel room to pick up the southeast game of the week from a Shreveport station.

WDE

Archived