Positive Publicity

CameronCrazy

I was absolutely disgusted to see a Charles Robinson article today that linked Auburn University with the word "scandal".  It appears at this time with all of the information that we have been given that the coaching staff and the University did everything that they were supposed to do by informing the SEC, NCAA, and the FBI.  It also appears that no penalties or punishment is going to be handed down to the University as a result of the transgressions and stupidity of one player (if the allegations are true).  But it is still crushing to see the great name of Auburn being drug through the mud and placed on ESPN once again for negative publicity. 

I may be in the minority on this, but I really would like to see better Public Relations coming from our Athletic Department.  We MUST stop the bleeding and start painting these stories in our favor.  Yes, we released a statement to ESPN that should have cleared our name.  But we declined further comment.  With everything that we went through with the Cam Newton investigation, we should have learned that we can't just sit back and let the media paint this story whatever way they choose to paint it. 

What I want to see is an Auburn PR Guy, Athletic Director, or Prominent Alumni on ESPN praising Auburn for handling this situation the right way.  I want them on there saying that Auburn is better than this.  Our fans and our students stand by a creed, and we will not stand for this behavior from ANY athlete!

I welcome your opinions  :wareagle:

I was absolutely disgusted to see a Charles Robinson article today that linked Auburn University with the word "scandal".  It appears at this time with all of the information that we have been given that the coaching staff and the University did everything that they were supposed to do by informing the SEC, NCAA, and the FBI.  It also appears that no penalties or punishment is going to be handed down to the University as a result of the transgressions and stupidity of one player (if the allegations are true).  But it is still crushing to see the great name of Auburn being drug through the mud and placed on ESPN once again for negative publicity. 

I may be in the minority on this, but I really would like to see better Public Relations coming from our Athletic Department.  We MUST stop the bleeding and start painting these stories in our favor.  Yes, we released a statement to ESPN that should have cleared our name.  But we declined further comment.  With everything that we went through with the Cam Newton investigation, we should have learned that we can't just sit back and let the media paint this story whatever way they choose to paint it. 

What I want to see is an Auburn PR Guy, Athletic Director, or Prominent Alumni on ESPN praising Auburn for handling this situation the right way.  I want them on there saying that Auburn is better than this.  Our fans and our students stand by a creed, and we will not stand for this behavior from ANY athlete!

I welcome your opinions  :wareagle:

I agree 100%,  Well said.

WDE

The thing is....the best PR firm in the world has no way of overseeing what "headlines" or other things the press can print or say. That is what "journalism" has come to sadly. They can say or write basically anything they want with no restrictions. You just have to look at the Cam situation. That poor kid had his name drug through the mud, every ten minutes on BSPN, for months. When the ruling came down that no wrongdoing occurred it was on page 8 of the sports section and BSPN spent an entire eight seconds saying he had been cleared. I was watching a college show on CSS and somebody wrote in and asked why they didn't talk more about Cam being cleared. Tony Barhart said, and I quote, "because it's not news anymore". If I was there I would have hit him in the mouth.

I don't see how you can be mad at the coverage. I mean what do you expect the headlines to say. "Collegiate athlete Varez Ward implicated in point shaving probe". He is/was a student athlete at Auburn. He played most of the season. Therefore he represented Auburn. Now the university has to deal with his poor choices. Of course those outside of the Auburn Family are automatically gonna think that this could be a widespread issue or wonder if it is. I mean imagine if Trevor Releford would've been busted for this. We would all be yelling about how crooked and wrong the turds are and this is proof. Expect more dirt thrown our way but we will make it through it again. In all honesty it doesn't bug me anymore after the Cam fiasco. I mean they invented every possible angle to degrade us....

And I believe if the FBI tells you not to make further comment you don't. Just like the NCAA. It is frustrating but in the end it is the best practice and will help us with the people that matter most and that's the people investigating

I think Charles needs to make a statement on the issue soon. He's the only credible person in the media we have right now that could stick up for AU and make everyone laugh about it. The Bammers and haters around the country know that a low life took advantage of a broke, young, and vulnerable kid. Unfortunately, this angle won't be considered because for some reason people cant get enough dramatic news. As fans and members of the Auburn family we know that were nothing like what the media portrays. I say we continue being a contradiction to what the media/bammers sell to the public. I'm half way joking when I ask this but, does anyone else think that Saban might possibly use this to negatively recruit in football? lol 

I agree with the OP.

I don't know what or how we do it, but the Auburn AD needs to get proactive (something that works) to prevent more black eyes against our loved univeristy. I love Auburn sports (not as much as I did a few years ago), but I love our school more. I'm tired of negative things from our athletic programs smearing the image of Auburn Univeristy the school.  I can handle losing from our athletic programs, but I can't handle stuff like this.

I know some will attack me for this post, but I REALLY love my school and I'm sick of it getting destroyed in the media.

There may or may not be anything to all this.  It was reported as "a rumor regarding an allegation" and initially TWO players were suspended.  Now think about that and recall that one of those two were cleared.  Let me repeat that: Now think about that and recall that one of those two were cleared.

Okay... cleared?  How?  Probably by watching the games in question and not finding anything to support "a rumor regarding an allegation" for that one player because if there was knowledge of money changing hands or one of Danny Sheridan's bagmans being involved, then one of the two accused players wouldn't have been cleared... would they? 

So maybe all they have is some crappy play and "a rumor regarding an allegation"... and then again, maybe not and they have some serious prove of wrong doing.  Who knows at this point.

I can't help but always ask why are we the only division IA school in this state to have our sports teams blammed by the media every year or so. Alabama can give out suits, cars, homes, watches, rings ect to players who's still playing for them and NOTHING is ever said or done to them.

There may or may not be anything to all this.  It was reported as "a rumor regarding an allegation" and initially TWO players were suspended.  Now think about that and recall that one of those two were cleared.  Let me repeat that: Now think about that and recall that one of those two were cleared.

Okay... cleared?  How?  Probably by watching the games in question and not finding anything to support "a rumor regarding an allegation" for that one player because if there was knowledge of money changing hands or one of Danny Sheridan's bagmans being involved, then one of the two accused players wouldn't have been cleared... would they? 

So maybe all they have is some crappy play and "a rumor regarding an allegation"... and then again, maybe not and they have some serious prove of wrong doing.  Who knows at this point.

The only problem with your theory is it also says the FBI is involved. I hope I am wrong but normally if the FBI is involved there is at least some smoke if not a fire. It appears our Scholl handled this perfectly they saw or heard something then reported it to Proper authorities. Like most I don't believe Auburn will have any issues but when one of your players does something stupid like it or not it does reflect on that School.

Ideally people should be able to seperate the actions of a single person and the actions of the University. Sadly it doesn't work that way. Bama player beats up a girlfriend we blame the institution, Auburn football players rob other stidents other schools blame the institution. Irt is wrong but it is the way the world works.  Bad news sells visits to see sick kids in hospitals doesn't the word is not what it should be.

I can't help but always ask why are we the only division IA school in this state to have our sports teams blammed by the media every year or so. Alabama can give out suits, cars, homes, watches, rings ect to players who's still playing for them and NOTHING is ever said or done to them.

Maybe if our freakin student-athletes would walk a straight line and stay clear of armed robbery and other potential criminal activity like point shaving, then the dang media wouldn't have anything the write about.  :banghead:

I get so sick and tired of the stupid comparisons and blaming the state and national media for AU's bad PR and bad headlines.  If our athletes would control themselves, and keep their nose clean there would be no bad news and AU in the headlines.  :banghead:

Maybe if our freakin student-athletes would walk a straight line and stay clear of armed robbery and other potential criminal activity like point shaving, then the dang media wouldn't have anything the write about.   :banghead:

I get so sick and tired of the stupid comparisons and blaming the state and national media for AU's bad PR and bad headlines.  If our athletes would control themselves, and keep their nose clean there would be no bad news and AU in the headlines.   :banghead:

Thank you. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and take responsibility. Recently we have done a poor job of bringing in kids that represent the university in the right way. I hope that we get this under control soon as I am tired of hearing about criminal activity by our players. This isn't breaking team rules, staying out pass curfew, or not passing drug tests. These are felonies that can result in jail time. That's not the turds or the media's fault. That's the kids that are supposed to be representing this university. Auburn has to deal with fallout because they were wearing our emblem and therefore ambassadors for our school. It's sad and frustrating but we just have to grit our teeth and move on

Maybe if our freakin student-athletes would walk a straight line and stay clear of armed robbery and other potential criminal activity like point shaving, then the dang media wouldn't have anything the write about.   :banghead:

I get so sick and tired of the stupid comparisons and blaming the state and national media for AU's bad PR and bad headlines.  If our athletes would control themselves, and keep their nose clean there would be no bad news and AU in the headlines.   :banghead:

Thank you. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and take responsibility. Recently we have done a poor job of bringing in kids that represent the university in the right way. I hope that we get this under control soon as I am tired of hearing about criminal activity by our players. This isn't breaking team rules, staying out pass curfew, or not passing drug tests. These are felonies that can result in jail time. That's not the turds or the media's fault. That's the kids that are supposed to be representing this university. Auburn has to deal with fallout because they were wearing our emblem and therefore ambassadors for our school. It's sad and frustrating but we just have to grit our teeth and move on

Amen!

You want possitive publicity?  It's really simple ~ DO THE RIGHT THING!

To blame the freaking media, your rival or anybody else for the criminal actions of your own student-athletes is ridiculous. 

I absolutely agree that Varez Ward is the one to blame here if these allegations are indeed true.  The intent of the original post was not to ask our Athletic Director to defend Varez Ward, but it was to ask them to defend the good name of Auburn University.  It was to ask them to boldly and adamantly come out and say that Auburn University did everything that we should have done.  And that our administration, our coaches, and our fans do not approve of this behavior.  The media has every right to and they should have reported this story.  Varez Ward is the one to blame here and he should be punished to the fullest extent if these allegations turn out to be true. 

But unfortunately, the name of the game is not "what really happened?".  The name of the game is "what it can be made to look like".  And eventhough Auburn University is completely innocent in this situation, the public and nationwide perception of Auburn University is that we cheat.  Period.  I have friends all over the country that are constantly accusing us of cheating (even though Cam was completely exonerated of all charges). 

Maybe I'm still hungover from the Cam Newton investigation, but I'll give you one example of something I believe would have been "Positive Publicity."  During that intense investigation that questioned the very core of Cam Newton's character, I believe that our Athletic Department should have released the incredible story of how Cam had taken it upon himself to visit Wrights Mill Road Elementary every week to mentor those kids.  They should have had the teachers, the principal, and those kids on ESPN to show what great character that Cam Newton really has.  I'm still amazed that the only ones that know about that story is the Auburn Family. 

I understand that no reporter was going to come looking for that story, but that's why we have to take the story to them!  I would love to believe that it only matters that we ourselves know the truth.  But unfortunately public perception is very important.  And if you do not believe this then just look at how it affected our football recruiting class this past year.  I'm not trying to be critical of our administration at all.  But I just believe that it's time we change the attittude of just sitting back and waiting for these stories to blow over.  It's time for us to beat these people to the punch and get the truth out there in awyway that we can!

:wareagle:

I absolutely agree that Varez Ward is the one to blame here if these allegations are indeed true.  The intent of the original post was not to ask our Athletic Director to defend Varez Ward, but it was to ask them to defend the good name of Auburn University.  It was to ask them to boldly and adamantly come out and say that Auburn University did everything that we should have done.  And that our administration, our coaches, and our fans do not approve of this behavior.  The media has every right to and they should have reported this story.  Varez Ward is the one to blame here and he should be punished to the fullest extent if these allegations turn out to be true. 

But unfortunately, the name of the game is not "what really happened?".  The name of the game is "what it can be made to look like".  And eventhough Auburn University is completely innocent in this situation, the public and nationwide perception of Auburn University is that we cheat.  Period.  I have friends all over the country that are constantly accusing us of cheating (even though Cam was completely exonerated of all charges). 

Maybe I'm still hungover from the Cam Newton investigation, but I'll give you one example of something I believe would have been "Positive Publicity."  During that intense investigation that questioned the very core of Cam Newton's character, I believe that our Athletic Department should have released the incredible story of how Cam had taken it upon himself to visit Wrights Mill Road Elementary every week to mentor those kids.  They should have had the teachers, the principal, and those kids on ESPN to show what great character that Cam Newton really has.  I'm still amazed that the only ones that know about that story is the Auburn Family. 

I understand that no reporter was going to come looking for that story, but that's why we have to take the story to them!  I would love to believe that it only matters that we ourselves know the truth.  But unfortunately public perception is very important.  And if you do not believe this then just look at how it affected our football recruiting class this past year.  I'm not trying to be critical of our administration at all.  But I just believe that it's time we change the attittude of just sitting back and waiting for these stories to blow over.  It's time for us to beat these people to the punch and get the truth out there in awyway that we can!

:wareagle:

Excellent post.  I'm with you 100% on the way the Cam Newton situation was handled.

WDE

Archived