Cooper Bateman 2013 QB

SuperNova

Cooper Bateman QB from Cottonwood HS (Salt Lake City, UT)

Ht: 6-3

Wt: 205

Scouts -> Bateman has one of the biggest arms in the country, and will wow you with his arm strength. He can really drive the ball down the field and shows the live arm you love to see but can also throw with touch as well. Throws a great deep ball with timing and accuracy and also does a nice job getting outside the pocket and throwing on the run. He’s a shotgun guy but shows excellent feet and won’t have a problem getting under center in college-Biggins. --

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5650475

Looks like he has an Auburn offer, anyone have any info???

:wareagle:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bateman was ecstatic about the turds offer a few weeks ago. By his comments it appears that the turds may be leading.

Yeah, but it sounds like we are recruiting him harder. Anybody's game right now.

Bateman will be in AU this weekend.  CSL is really getting some good Qbs on campus. 

Is this going to be the first time he has visited Auburn?

Yea, I think so.

Any word on how it went?

IIRC hes coming today. He was in LSU this weekend for their spring game.

Thanks! Hope he enjoys his visit today, dude is forreal!

Yeah he's probably got the 2nd or 3rd biggest arm on the West coast. Cannon, for sure. He'll likely need a RS year wherever he goes, but that doesn't mean he isn't an elite player. He's just not used to doing what he'll have to do in a pro-style offense. Very simple reads in his offense in HS.

Per BM: "4-star QB Cooper Bateman from Cottonwood in Salt Lake City, Utah, is planning to visit Auburn this week. He's scheduled to arrive Tuesday night and stay through Wednesday. Bateman is rated the nation's No. 6 pro-style QB by 247Sports and has close to 20 offers including one from Auburn."

From TOS!

Cooper Bateman

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This place was awesome,” Bateman said. “I’ve been (at the Auburn athletic complex) since a little bit before 7:00 this morning sitting through meetings. Coach Loeffler, the offensive staff, it was awesome. I got to see the campus. I got to see everything Auburn offers. It was an experience, no doubt.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Bateman, 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, said he’s spoken with Auburn offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler over the phone more than any other college coach. He was thrilled to finally meet him in-person. “Words only go so far. Meeting him in person was awesome,” Bateman said. “I’m glad I got that opportunity and I’m glad I got to sit through his meetings.” Bateman was also able to see Loeffler in action at Wednesday morning’s practice. “The way he carries himself, I love it,” he said. “He’s a high energy guy. Seeing him out on the practice field, he lets you know where you stand, what you did wrong. He will get in your face but at the same time, he’ll tell you what you did right. I love that about him.”

He seemed to be impressed by the physical presence, athletism and throwing ability of Pike.  He says that is who he would probably be competing against.

I love the fact that our staff can bring kids from anywhere in the country for a visit and they are always blown away by the coaches and the facility.    We won't always get this kids from across the country but it's nice to know how well AU compares with any school....anywhere. 

JJ, Chiz, et al.....deserve credit for making AU a "destination" visit for nationally rated HS kids.  :thumbsup:

I love the fact that our staff can bring kids from anywhere in the country for a visit and they are always blown away by the coaches and the facility.    We won't always get this kids from across the country but it's nice to know how well AU compares with any school....anywhere.   

JJ, Chiz, et al.....deserve credit for making AU a "destination" visit for nationally rated HS kids.   :thumbsup:

Ditto. Getting visits from these kids does mean something, regardless if they commit. It sends a message to others that we are worth checking into.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure we have our QB for the next 3 years. Not saying he wouldn't be a welcome addition but we don't "need" him per say.

I would think that you would want 1 quality QB per-year. And CB is a quality QB and might just be the #1 QB by the end of his senior season.

Sounded to me like Olsen is more likely, and to be honest I like him better than Bateman anyway. Bateman is probably the more physically gifted of the two, but I think Olsen is a much better QB, and I think his savvy as a signal caller will translate better to the college game. It's not that I would be disappointed with Bateman, it's just that, in my mind, if Rettig recovers, we take him, and if not then we take Olsen. To be completely honest, considering that attrition is looking to take its toll already, I'm guessing we are definitely going to get up to the 20-22 range for open schollys, and in that case we might well take two...which means maybe we take Rettig and Olsen.

It would make a certain sense. Olsen might well turn out to be the better of the two even if Rettig is healthy (though Rettig undeniably has superior arm strength), and it would give Loeffler two of his own recruits to work with behind Kiehl and Zeke.

But we shall see.

I'm pretty sure we have our QB for the next 3 years. Not saying he wouldn't be a welcome addition but we don't "need" him per say.

We do, but we kinda do need at least one QB this year. As much potential as Zeke has, he is still a project, and he was recruited to run a different style of offense. That's not to say he isn't talented enough to adapt, only that you need depth, especially if the backup is untested.

But not to worry. There are at least four highly rated QBs that I feel pretty confident will be Tigers if the coaches decide we want them to be.

Archived