NFL Suspends Sean Payton

yeaauburn

No, I think they got it right.  With all the class action lawsuits over injuries coming down, they have to make sure it stops now.  I would not be surprised to see Payton fired in the end.

BTW, Cam was specifically targeted by these thugs.

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/03/cam-newton-was-target-of-bounty-program.html

This is ridiculous. A whole season?!? Payton has proven himself to be one of the best coaches in the NFL, and if people don't believe this goes on in every level of football you're kidding yourselves. Ask anyone who ever played defense in competitive football. If you make a legit, clean hit on a QB and you take him out for the game you're the hero on the sidelines, and there will be all kinds of cheers when the team is watching game film. The Saints weren't trying to take out players by being dirty. You can argue that they were being payed extra to try to take players out, but don't think that Nick Fairley, Mario Williams, Jared Allen, Suh, DeMarcus Ware etc. aren't payed millions in contract to do the same.

This is ridiculous. A whole season?!? Payton has proven himself to be one of the best coaches in the NFL, and if people don't believe this goes on in every level of football you're kidding yourselves. Ask anyone who ever played defense in competitive football. If you make a legit, clean hit on a QB and you take him out for the game you're the hero on the sidelines, and there will be all kinds of cheers when the team is watching game film. The Saints weren't trying to take out players by being dirty. You can argue that they were being payed extra to try to take players out, but don't think that Nick Fairley, Mario Williams, Jared Allen, Suh, DeMarcus Ware etc. aren't payed millions in contract to do the same.

Go read the NFL report and get back to us.  It says specifically that is what they were doing.

Go read the NFL report and get back to us.  It says specifically that is what they were doing.

I'm sure the report says what ever Dictator Goodell wants it to say. If he ever has his way the NFL will be regulated to flag football. Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport. I'm sick of him and I'm sick of seeing form tackles being flagged 15 yards.

I'm sure the report says what ever Dictator Goodell wants it to say. If he ever has his way the NFL will be regulated to flag football. Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport. I'm sick of him and I'm sick of seeing form tackles being flagged 15 yards.

Well, I'm not trying to get in an argument over it, but the report says what Payton, Williams, Vitt, and many others told the investigators.  It also states how they were in the top 5 for illegal hits all of those 3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c15b2/article/nfl-announces-management-discipline-in-saints-bounty-matter?module=HP11_headline_stack

Amen. You even look in the direction of a QB it is 15 yards, 100k in fines and 3 months counseling. Goodell is one of the worst things possible for pro football.

Go read the NFL report and get back to us. It says specifically that is what they were doing.

Well, I'm not trying to get in an argument over it, but the report says what Payton, Williams, Vitt, and many others told the investigators. It also states how they were in the top 5 for illegal hits all of those 3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c15b2/article/nfl-announces-management-discipline-in-saints-bounty-matter?module=HP11_headline_stack

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Look at what passes for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness nowadays. I'm not saying that the Saints should not be punished, but that the fines are way too extreme. IMO the Patriots and Spygate was a worse situation because it involved actual cheating. BB should have been suspended 2 years if Payton gets 1. At least the Saints incident was on the field. It's like Goodell is saying it's better to cheat and lie about it, than to tackle too hard. Maybe I'm just ranting because I'm a Cowboys fan and I just wish they would start showing a little mean streak.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Look at what passes for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness nowadays. I'm not saying that the Saints should not be punished, but that the fines are way too extreme. IMO the Patriots and Spygate was a worse situation because it involved actual cheating. BB should have been suspended 2 years if Payton gets 1. At least the Saints incident was on the field. It's like Goodell is saying it's better to cheat and lie about it, than to tackle too hard. Maybe I'm just ranting because I'm a Cowboys fan and I just wish they would start showing a little mean streak.

Yeah, but think about like this.  Suppose they succeeded in knocking out Cam last season, and then it turned out to be a career-ending injury.  Then you find out the whole organization knew about the incentive program and its intent.  Would you think the penalties were too stiff then?

I'm a Saints fan, have been all my life.

The punishment was just and needed. It sets a standard of severe punishment from the beginning. I'm not exactly happy about it seeing as it could send my team down a spiral for years. Overall I'm ok with it though. incentives should be wrote in a contract not handed out in the locker room. Furthermore no player should be trying to take another player out of the game, legal or illegal. I know they were taking legal hits (in most cases) and flagged correctly when they weren’t. I didn't see them trying to hurt individuals on purpose in illegal ways. They were laying some powerful hits though.

Regardless, It was an illegal venture and should be treated as such. Therefore the punishment that followed is equally warranted.

Yeah, but think about like this.  Suppose they succeeded in knocking out Cam last season, and then it turned out to be a career-ending injury.  Then you find out the whole organization knew about the incentive program and its intent.  Would you think the penalties were too stiff then?

If it was a legal hit, then yea I would still think it would be too stiff. If Cam scrambles out of the pocket and runs down field only to be tackled by a hard clean hit then that's just how the game goes. Now if his hit fragrantly late, or anything like that then it would be different. I just look at it like this: I played defense in HS. Whenever I went to make a tackle I tried to hit the ball carrier as hard as I could. I wasn't a dirty player, and I never took a guy out of the game, but if I did and it was a clean hit I would have been pretty pumped about it. As would the rest of the team. That's why teams get excited of a big hit. Players don't go over to the sideline thinking maybe I shouldn't have tackled him so hard. No one wants to end another players career, but in players minds if they hit a guy so hard it takes him out for a play, series or game then they have done their jobs.  Now it does put a negative connotation to the situation by having a "bounty" involved and they should be penalized for it, and I understand how it's bad for the games image, but the Saints aren't doing anything that every other team in the history of football hasn't done.

If it was a legal hit, then yea I would still think it would be too stiff. If Cam scrambles out of the pocket and runs down field only to be tackled by a hard clean hit then that's just how the game goes. Now if his hit fragrantly late, or anything like that then it would be different. I just look at it like this: I played defense in HS. Whenever I went to make a tackle I tried to hit the ball carrier as hard as I could. I wasn't a dirty player, and I never took a guy out of the game, but if I did and it was a clean hit I would have been pretty pumped about it. As would the rest of the team. That's why teams get excited of a big hit. Players don't go over to the sideline thinking maybe I shouldn't have tackled him so hard. No one wants to end another players career, but in players minds if they hit a guy so hard it takes him out for a play, series or game then they have done their jobs.  Now it does put a negative connotation to the situation by having a "bounty" involved and they should be penalized for it, and I understand how it's bad for the games image, but the Saints aren't doing anything that every other team in the history of football hasn't done.

Okay.  I understand a hard legal hit.  But when there is money involved against NFL rules, and top caliber athletes, it is different.  When you intend to injure someone, sportsmanship flies out the window.  And another reason the penalties are so severe is the Saints lied to the NFL investigators about it, and continued the program long afterward.  I think if all other teams had a bounty system we will hear about it in time, but right now, it does appear the Saints were doing things no one else was doing.

Okay.  I understand a hard legal hit.  But when there is money involved against NFL rules, and top caliber athletes, it is different.  When you intend to injure someone, sportsmanship flies out the window.  And another reason the penalties are so severe is the Saints lied to the NFL investigators about it, and continued the program long afterward.  I think if all other teams had a bounty system we will hear about it in time, but right now, it does appear the Saints were doing things no one else was doing.

Yea I didn't know about that until today. Not a good idea to lie to your boss and still continue to do things you're being investigated for.

It's simple,the NFL is trying to head off the feds from getting involved.With all of the ex-players lawsuits going on,there have been rumors of lawyers tryng to get laws passed agianst illeagal hits.Making it a crime.The NFL is trying to look tough with these penalties.They are very worried that congress will stick their noses in their game.They also are trying to limit the liabilities they will have in these lawsuits.The game as we know it has, of now,changed forever IMO.

It's simple,the NFL is trying to head off the feds from getting involved.With all of the ex-players lawsuits going on,there have been rumors of lawyers trying to get laws passed against illegal hits.Making it a crime.The NFL is trying to look tough with these penalties.They are very worried that congress will stick their noses in their game.They also are trying to limit the liabilities they will have in these lawsuits.The game as we know it has, of now,changed forever IMO.

Excellent point. They are trying to sweep up a mess long after it has been left. They suddenly want to appear protective of player health when facing multi-millions in potential liability. Rings a little hollow. If it's so concerned, where has it been? Concussion injury is not new. That knowledge has been around quite some time.

In no way am I defending trying to purposefully injure someone.

It's simple,the NFL is trying to head off the feds from getting involved.With all of the ex-players lawsuits going on,there have been rumors of lawyers trying to get laws passed against illegal hits.Making it a crime.The NFL is trying to look tough with these penalties.They are very worried that congress will stick their noses in their game.They also are trying to limit the liabilities they will have in these lawsuits.The game as we know it has, of now,changed forever IMO.

Excellent point. They are trying to sweep up a mess long after it has been left. They suddenly want to appear protective of player health when facing multi-millions in potential liability. Rings a little hollow. If it's so concerned, where has it been? Concussion injury is not new. That knowledge has been around quite some time.

In know way am I defending trying to purposefully injure someone.

I agree,they are trying to look concerened for the players protection,but they are mostly potecting the golden goose.

Players should have to sign a waiver stating that they are aware that they may incur injury, career ending or life-altering, or death as a result of playing in the NFL, and agree to absolve the NFL of any future lawsuits or responsibility in the event of such injury.

I think the sanctions where too hard. Everyone does this type of "bounty" system and to say they do not is just keeping your head in the sand. The NFL has become almost a non contact sport. Safeties can not even play the safety position anymore because they get flagged for hitting a "defenless receiver". So what wait for the guy to catch the ball, turn around, and then hit him. Its a joke and the NFL is going down the tube fast.

I think the sanctions where too hard. Everyone does this type of "bounty" system and to say they do not is just keeping your head in the sand. The NFL has become almost a non contact sport. Safeties can not even play the safety position anymore because they get flagged for hitting a "defenless receiver". So what wait for the guy to catch the ball, turn around, and then hit him. Its a joke and the NFL is going down the tube fast.

Thats why you will continue to see a rise in interceptions deep down field. instead of playing the player and making the tackle like they should be, they are playing the ball going for the INT instead of the tackle or incomplete pass. Sad that you can't even watch real football in the NFL any more. I think I will stick with College ball. It's my true love any way. The NFL is just extra to me.

The Saints are getting EXACTLY what they deserve.  Yeah, a lot of the hits were clean.  But if you tell Steve Smith that Roman Harper is a clean player, he will slap you upside side the head.  A "clean" tackle becomes a dirty tackle when it is performed to injure.  Just because the hits are between the whistles doesn't mean they're clean.  Kurt Warner, for instance, got destroyed between the whistles but, it was obvious they were trying to injure him. 

Also, I'm tired of hearing "every team in the NFL has this type of system."  Everyone has said it.  Stop trying to justify something that is obviously wrong by using the child's excuse of "everyone else is doing it too!" Others might do the same types of things... and they will be punished when they get caught. 

I grew up playing some of the toughest football the state of Alabama has to offer and I was never encouraged to actively go for an injury.  It shows a lack of class on the coach's and player's part and is a clear sign that a team has no confidence.  Instead of hoping for and celebrating an injury, grow a pair, get in the weight room, and get better.  Maybe then you can walk off the field with a little bit of pride about yourself.

The Saints are getting EXACTLY what they deserve.  Yeah, a lot of the hits were clean.  But if you tell Steve Smith that Roman Harper is a clean player, he will slap you upside side the head.  A "clean" tackle becomes a dirty tackle when it is performed to injure.  Just because the hits are between the whistles doesn't mean they're clean.  Kurt Warner, for instance, got destroyed between the whistles but, it was obvious they were trying to injure him. 

Also, I'm tired of hearing "every team in the NFL has this type of system."  Everyone has said it.  Stop trying to justify something that is obviously wrong by using the child's excuse of "everyone else is doing it too!" Others might do the same types of things... and they will be punished when they get caught. 

I grew up playing some of the toughest football the state of Alabama has to offer and I was never encouraged to actively go for an injury.  It shows a lack of class on the coach's and player's part and is a clear sign that a team has no confidence.  Instead of hoping for and celebrating an injury, grow a pair, get in the weight room, and get better.  Maybe then you can walk off the field with a little bit of pride about yourself.

I totally agree with what your saying. Liek I said before, I'm a Saints fan, and feel they got what they deserved. If anyone thought that the Saints were not going to be hammered and made an example out of, your kidding yourself.

I also find it extremely funny that is this were an NCAA team we were talking about, 99% of the people that watch college football would be demanding that the coach and AD get fired, that the players get suspended, and that the entire team get banned.  The only difference would be the age of the players.  Either way, you're trying to ruin careers and possibly lives.

I totally agree with what your saying. Liek I said before, I'm a Saints fan, and feel they got what they deserved. If anyone thought that the Saints were not going to be hammered and made an example out of, your kidding yourself.

:thumbsup:  Awesome.  I wasn't directing that at anyone specific.  It is just something that people need to realize.  I just hate it for players like Drew Brees

Archived