Practice #5, 3/30/12

Elephant Tipper

SCRIMMAGE ON SATURDAY 3/31/12

al.com

"Linemen Greg Robinson, Christian Westerman ready to go after redshirt seasons at Auburn"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/linemen_greg_robinson_christia.html

PODCAST: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/which_running_back_will_emerge.html (link at lower right of photo) Matt Scalici, WarBlogle, Justin Hokanson

Joel Erickson

WarEagleExtra.com

Brian VanGorder: "Our tempo today wasn't as good as it has been. ... Today's install slowed them down a little bit. It was quite involved."

VanGorder: "Our secondary is doing the best job of fighting through that right now." Speaking about playing well through installation.

VanGorder on cross-training linebackers: "It's too early to cross-train right now."

Clint Moseley is back to making all the throws in practice.

Scot Loeffler says he's not worried about mistakes in Saturday's scrimmage, he's looking for "effort and toughness."

Loeffler on Pike: "The transition's been good for him. He's been a freshman, and he's learned the way we do things at Auburn."

Loeffler on Pike playing: "I'll never say never. ... They all develop at different paces. Every guy's different."

Dee Ford says he's great physically, says his back's OK.

Ford knew his back was messed up, says it was just a tweak that needed to be fixed

Ford on the defense: "It's more simple than last year. VanGorder makes everything simple so we can play fast."

In VanGorder's defense, the defensive line doesn't make calls. That's up to the linebackers -- particularly MLB -- and secondary.

Ford on VanGorder: "He's a beast. ... He's created a respect, which is needed for a defensive coordinator.

Dee Ford says the defensive ends are interchangeable. It used to be power and quick, but both DEs have the same role.

Defensive ends won't switch sides. In the old defense, the power always lined up over the tight end. Now, both guys do.

Ford had a minor concussion on Monday. He said he'd be back on Saturday.

http://www.wareagleextra.com/2012/03/30/practice-notes-scot-loeffler-installing-a-diverse-offense-brian-vangorder-previews-auburns-first-scrimmage-and-dee-fords-back-is-healthy/

VIDEOS: http://www.wareagleextra.com/2012/03/30/video-scot-loeffler-brian-vangorder-corey-lemonier-dee-ford-and-travante-stallworth-drop-by-to-chat-after-auburns-fifth-spring-practice/

5:00 p.m.

Corey Lemonier likes the preparation of playing both sides, says he feels like he needs to do it for a possible shot at the NFL.

Lemonier's at 245 pounds, but he wants to get to 255 pounds.

Both Dee Ford and Corey Lemonier have said they have to break some "bad habits" at defensive end.

Ryan Wood

AUBlog

offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler said the focus in Saturday's scrimmage - the first of the spring - will be on fundamentals.

Travante Stallworth, working with the No. 1 unit, says he feels 100 percent, but he doesn't think he's at the peak.

Stallworth says the offense can go pro-style, shotgun, pistol, it can do a lot of different things.

Stallworth says Loeffler's "totally different" than Malzahn. Malzahn's business-like, he said. Loeffler's more hands-on, more excited.

Stallworth says the quarterbacks and receivers need the summer to really get their timing down.

Stallworth: "Sammie's been great. He's a big, athletic kid. ... I think he can be a great contribution to us this year."

Corey Lemonier likes the preparation of playing both sides, says he feels like he needs to do it for a possible shot at the NFL.

Lemonier's at 245 pounds, but he wants to get to 255 pounds.

Both Dee Ford and Corey Lemonier have said they have to break some "bad habits" at defensive end.

Justin Hokanson

Rivals

Scot Loeffler looking for "effort and toughness" in tomorrow's scrimmage.

Loeffler on Zeke Pike, "the transition has been good for him...he's handled himself quite well for such a young guy."

Ford was asked if he was scared when the injury occurred, "I don't get scared", he said.

Bryan Matthews

***VanGorder said the tempo at practice wasn't as good as it has been. He said today's install, which was quite involved, slowed them down a bit.

"Every day they're getting something new," VanGorder said. "I would say our secondary is doing the best job of getting through that."

***VanGorder said it's too early to cross-train players at multiple positions on the defense.

***VanGorder wants to see disciplined defense during Saturday's scrimmage.

***Lemonier said the defense has made a lot of progress, especially on the physical side.

***Lemonier said he likes not having to switch sides on defense.

"It shows I can play over the tight end too -- the dirty work," Lemonier said.

***Lemonier said he's up to 245 and wants to get up to 255.

***Lemonier said the defensive players were "buying into" VanGorder's schemes.

***Stallworth said he loves the new offense.

"Shotgun, pistol, we do a whole bunch of different stuff," Stallworth said.

***Stallworth said Loeffler is totally different than Malzahn.

"He's more hands-on and more energetic," Stallworth said.

***Stallworth has been impressed with WR Sammie Coates.

"He's running around making great plays. I think he's going to be a great contribution to us this year," Stallworth said.

***Ford said he's feel "great" physically. He said is back is fine but he had a minor concussion Monday but will be good for Saturday.

***Ford said the defense is simpler than last year, especially for the d-line. He said he makes it simple so they can play fast.

"I love it," Ford said.

***Ford on DC Brian VanGorder:

"He's a beast. I love him. He has created a respect that is needed."

***Ford said the DE's are interchangeable. There's no longer weakside and strongside. He said the DE's don't switch according to which side the TE lines up.

***Ford said RB Mike Blakely has stood out on offense.

Justin Hokanson

RIVALS

"Notebook: defensive tempo slows on Friday"

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1349474

"Loeffler expecting effort, toughness in scrimmage"

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1349484

ET you're awesome. I'm sure im not the only one who appreciates you going about and collecting all this information.

Thanks a ton :bow:

I like having DE's on the same side, w/o a strong and weak DE. Really hoping our WR corp breaks out this year. Everybody will come in having to stop Blake and Lutz but if Coates, Benton, and Stallworth can be productive the passing game could take off. Thats not to mention Reed or Bray either.

I like it that CGVG isn't cross training yet.. To me that says he wants everyone to have their position down to a high degree before teaching them other positions.

And about the MLB making play calls.. Is that a departure from Roof's system? I rememever JB running up to the line and motioning them to shift.. And Jake doing that some last year too... Any insight from anyone?

I hope Ford is ok with that mild concussion. Wonder if he met the Juggernaut on that one.

:laugh:

I'd say that's a legitamate question haha

Slightly OT but does anybody know if they will release stats from the scrimmages this year?

Hope not....why give our early competition (Clemson) and idea of who to look for?

Slightly OT but does anybody know if they will release stats from the scrimmages this year?

I don't think official stats are released.... But some always leak out... Somehow  :cool:

Reading these comments about Van Gorder makes me wonder what the heck was Coach Roof doing?

Look at the stats, not too good..

Van Gorder is a beast (not my saying, Dee Ford's).  I think he is going to make this defense come alive!

The players know where he has been and what he has done. If they want a chance to make it to the next level, listen to THE MAN!!

Archived