Top 5 Position Battles

WarEagleAU

Hello AU family, I would like to hear from your opinions about this thread. I know there is nothing on my mind so I just want to see some debate right here. Of course, I am so excited about spring football and we are five months away from the season opener against Clemson in Georgia Dome. Here we go...

1. Quarterback - Clint Moseley and Kiehl Frazier.

We all know Clint is the returning starter from last season but with the new offensive coordinator mean new regime. For the last five spring practices, Kiehl is working with the first team so far but I wouldn't say he already won the starting job. I guess Kiehl Frazier is the favorite to win the role over Clint.

PREDICTION: Kiehl Frazier

2. Offensive Guard - Eric Mack and Christian Westerman.

I just don't see John Sullen being a backup so Eric and Christian is battling for the starting spot on OG. Both guys will see a lot of playing time this fall and they both will be the starter on OG in 2013 season. I don't have a best guess but Eric Mack probably have an edge to win the starting role and Christian Westerman will be the first guy to get off the bench for both spots.

PREDICTION: Eric Mack

3. Defensive Tackle - Ken Carter, Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson.

Jeffrey Whitaker is locked as the starter at DT and another spot will be a battle between three guys. Ken Carter was our starter in the season opener but Gabe Wright did get few starts in late season. Ken and Gabe is hurting right now and will more likely miss the whole spring practices. Angelo should get his chance to show how good he is and he got his raw talents. Otherwise, I think Gabe Wright is too talent to lose this starting spot but three of them will see some playing time this fall.

PREDICTION: Gabe Wright

4. Strong Side Linebacker - Jonathan Evans and Kris Frost.

Jonathan Evans is the returning starter from last season but he will miss the spring practices. Kris Frost is working with the first team in the last five practices and is pushing for the starting at SLB. It is Jonathan's job to lose and don't be surprised if Kris is the starter.

PREDICTION: Kris Frost

5. Deep Snapper - Jake Lembke and Forrest Hill.

It is hard to replace one of the best deep snapper from last season. Josh Harris will have a great career in NFL. To be honest with you, I don't know much about Jake and Forrest but we will hear a great story from them. Some of you will say it is not important but I think it is!

PREDICTION: Jake Lembke

The Bottom Five:

6. Boundary Receiver - Travante Stallworth, DeAngelo Benton and Trovon Reed

PREDICTION: Travante Stallworth

7. 3rd Running Back - Corey Grant and Mike Blakely

PREDICTION: Corey Grant

8. Backup Tight End - Brandon Fulse, CJ Uzomah and Blake Burgess

PREDICTION: CJ Uzomah

9. Backup Left Closed Side End - Dee Ford and LaDarius Owens

PREDICTION: LaDarius Owens

10. Backup Field Cornerback - Jermaine Whitehead, Jonathan Mincy and Robenson Therezie

PREDICTION: Jermaine Whitehead (He'll start at Nickel Back)

:we:

Nice write up, but a few corrections --

6. Could have sworn that Trovon Reed is competing against Quan Bray for the slot.

7. 3rd runningback is going to be Mike Blakely in my opinion, but I think they'll use Corey Grant to replace OMac as a speed runningback. I believe you'll see Mason and Blakely as our in between the tackles runningbacks.

8. Imo, Fulse is a shoe in for the top backup tightend because he held practically the same position last season as a freshman. However, I think Uzomah will be used a lot -- all over the field.

9. Dee Ford >>> LaDarious Owens and it's not close imo.

I agree with your other sentiments.

Nice write up, but a few corrections --

6. Could have sworn that Trovon Reed is competing against Quan Bray for the slot.

7. 3rd runningback is going to be Mike Blakely in my opinion, but I think they'll use Corey Grant to replace OMac as a speed runningback. I believe you'll see Mason and Blakely as our in between the tackles runningbacks.

8. Imo, Fulse is a shoe in for the top backup tightend because he held practically the same position last season as a freshman. However, I think Uzomah will be used a lot -- all over the field.

9. Dee Ford >>> LaDarious Owens and it's not close imo.

I agree with your other sentiments.

Thanks. However, the slot receiver is still a battle between Reed and Bray. For the last five practices, they didn't mention a word about the slot receiver from the observers. Good point about running backs and I agree with that. I really want Corey Grant to rush for 200 yards against Bama. It would be AUsome! With the new offensive coordinator, I think Loeffler likes Uzomah a lot and I can see him being the backup but you know I don't count out on Fulse due to his experience from last season. Between Ford and Owens, they both will see a lot of playing time. Can't wait for the notes tomorrow after the scrimmage. WDE!

Sammie Coates is also part of that competition at Boundary Receiver, I do believe. I think he'll be starting there by midseason.

Sammie Coates is also part of that competition at Boundary Receiver, I do believe. I think he'll be starting there by midseason.

After his redshirt season last fall, he will have to catch up with his developments in college game and to learning the offense playbook. He is most likely to push for playing time and I think he is the understudy to Emory Blake at Field Receiver. Just my opinion. Anything could happen by a surprise.  :we:

After his redshirt season last fall, he will have to catch up with his developments in college game and to learning the offense playbook. He is most likely to push for playing time and I think he is the understudy to Emory Blake at Field Receiver. Just my opinion. Anything could happen by a surprise.  :we:

All reports are that he has been busting his tail getting better. He put on 25 pounds of muscle during his redshirt season; pretty indicative of hard work. He may not have run a 4.29 40 (or whatever they said he ran), but he's 6'2, 190-200, and you better believe he runs a sub-4.4 40. He's also been praised by coaches as having very good hands.

I don't think he'll start at the beginning of the season, but he will get playing time, and IMO, the more playing time he gets, the more he's going to get, because I think he's going to light it up and make the coaches not want to take him off the field. I hate to put that kind of expectation on a freshman, and it's not like I'll be disappointed in him if he just has the typical freshman season catching a pass here and there and hustling on special teams, but I've got a feeling about him.

All reports are that he has been busting his tail getting better. He put on 25 pounds of muscle during his redshirt season; pretty indicative of hard work. He may not have run a 4.29 40 (or whatever they said he ran), but he's 6'2, 190-200, and you better believe he runs a sub-4.4 40. He's also been praised by coaches as having very good hands.

I don't think he'll start at the beginning of the season, but he will get playing time, and IMO, the more playing time he gets, the more he's going to get, because I think he's going to light it up and make the coaches not want to take him off the field. I hate to put that kind of expectation on a freshman, and it's not like I'll be disappointed in him if he just has the typical freshman season catching a pass here and there and hustling on special teams, but I've got a feeling about him.

I got a feeling about his future as a starter and I really like his size. All of us should have an expectation for the whole team as well. Do you remember Darvin Adams and Emory Blake at their freshmen season? Not much but they got breakthrough at their sophomore season. Just a thought.

I got a feeling about his future as a starter and I really like his size. All of us should have an expectation for the whole team as well. Do you remember Darvin Adams and Emory Blake at their freshmen season? Not much but they got breakthrough at their sophomore season. Just a thought.

Both played as true freshmen. Sammie is the same age as they were when they broke out, he just redshirted a year.

I personally the thought the OG battle is more between Sullen and Mack....I think Westerman will start from game 1.

Clemson lost every DL from last season so that should be a good first game for our new guys.

I think these are the top five:

1. QB- Frazier vs Moseley (My prediction: Moseley by a hair). Ultimately, I think it depends on what Loeffler thinks we need at quarterback. Which skill set at qb fits our impact players best?

2. Slot Receiver- Bray vs Reed (My prediction: Reed, but both will play significantly)

3. Oline in general- In my opinion, westerman, dismukes, and sullen are going to play somewhere. The question is where will they play and who takes the other two spots between mack, robinson, and slade. (My predictions are either: Robinson, Sullen, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade (this gives us the benefit of two talented redshirt freshmen starting)OR Sullen, Mack, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade(this gives us the benefit of having two less experienced guys, mack and westerman, anchored by 3 returning starters which may help them develop better)).

4. Defensive tackle- We have several guys here that are on virtually an equal level. (No predition. It could be any two of them.)

5. Cornerback- Bell, if he is healthy, will obviously be one. Who will take the other spot? Whitehead vs Davis vs mincy (Predition: Davis... I would have said Whitehead, but CVG said something about him playing in the slot and playing some safety.)

Honorable mention. Back up tight end spot. With Loeffler's pro leaning multiple system, we will probably see more two tight end sets. Fulse vs Uzomah vs hutcherson vs parks (Prediction: Fulse).

With regards to Frost, I think he will be playing behind (and sharing time with) Bates. He has a slightly similar build. He is a smaller linebacker. I think they will try to train him for the weak side lb position so that he can replace Bates next year.

I also think that Benton will secure his spot this year. A few days ago, there was an interview with Blake where he said D-lo's biggest problems were staying healthy and getting open. He followed up that comment by saying that this system has made it easier for him (and all of the receivers) to get open. I think that Coates will play behind Blake.

Friction, no disrespect meant but I couldn't really disagree with you more. I find it BAFFLING that you still think CM wins the starting QB spot. I think in Clint's dream scenario he's MAYBE even with Kiehl.. and that's a huge stretch. I think Bray has shown way more than Reed, thus far. I don't think Bell will "obviously " be a starter at corner. I think it's Davis and Whitehead, with Bell playing Nickel. I also don't think Benton will beat out Coates or Stallworth for playing time.

As I said, I mean no disrespect. Some of your picks just really do confuse me.

Friction, no disrespect meant but I couldn't really disagree with you more. I find it BAFFLING that you still think CM wins the starting QB spot. I think in Clint's dream scenario he's MAYBE even with Kiehl.. and that's a huge stretch. I think Bray has shown way more than Reed, thus far. I don't think Bell will "obviously " be a starter at corner. I think it's Davis and Whitehead, with Bell playing Nickel. I also don't think Benton will beat out Coates or Stallworth for playing time.

As I said, I mean no disrespect. Some of your picks just really do confuse me.

Agree with this. With Clint being injured, I think Kiehl is our QB come fall. I think even if Clint hadn't have gotten hurt, KF would still start. Kid is in serious study mode on Lefty's offense.

1. QB- Frazier vs Moseley (My prediction: Moseley by a hair). Ultimately, I think it depends on what Loeffler thinks we need at quarterback. Which skill set at qb fits our impact players best?

2. Slot Receiver- Bray vs Reed (My prediction: Reed, but both will play significantly)

3. Oline in general- In my opinion, westerman, dismukes, and sullen are going to play somewhere. The question is where will they play and who takes the other two spots between mack, robinson, and slade. (My predictions are either: Robinson, Sullen, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade (this gives us the benefit of two talented redshirt freshmen starting)OR Sullen, Mack, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade(this gives us the benefit of having two less experienced guys, mack and westerman, anchored by 3 returning starters which may help them develop better)).

4. Defensive tackle- We have several guys here that are on virtually an equal level. (No predition. It could be any two of them.)

5. Cornerback- Bell, if he is healthy, will obviously be one. Who will take the other spot? Whitehead vs Davis vs mincy (Predition: Davis... I would have said Whitehead, but CVG said something about him playing in the slot and playing some safety.)

Honorable mention. Back up tight end spot. With Loeffler's pro leaning multiple system, we will probably see more two tight end sets. Fulse vs Uzomah vs hutcherson vs parks (Prediction: Fulse).

With regards to Frost, I think he will be playing behind (and sharing time with) Bates. He has a slightly similar build. He is a smaller linebacker. I think they will try to train him for the weak side lb position so that he can replace Bates next year.

I also think that Benton will secure his spot this year. A few days ago, there was an interview with Blake where he said D-lo's biggest problems were staying healthy and getting open. He followed up that comment by saying that this system has made it easier for him (and all of the receivers) to get open. I think that Coates will play behind Blake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one will know who is correct until the coaches put out an official depth chart, but one thing I'll have to disagree on is the "which QB has a better skill set" comment. I've noticed that you have said similar things on other post and I'm just wondering what you mean by that. From everything I've heard/read from players, coaches and team reporters KF seems to have everything but size advantage over CM. I know it's difficult to state why one would think one player would start over another without downgrading a member of the team, but I'm genuinely curious as to what you're basing your point from. I hope it's not the stereotypical Black QB is more of an athlete and less of a passer, because I firmly believe that is not the case with KF.

I

1. QB- Frazier vs Moseley (My prediction: Moseley by a hair)

That's it, that's it, friction...you have to be kin to CM. I think you might be the only Auburn fan that believes the above prediction.

Moseley is a good QB, but Frazier has the tools to be exceptional. No disrepect intended, but look at Frazier's HS awards. You do not get the national attention Frazier has received without a reason.

Moseley is a good QB, but Frazier has the tools to be exceptional. No disrepect intended, but look at Frazier's HS awards. You do not get the national attention Frazier has received without a reason.

Agreed!  :we:

1. by a hair? That's nice words.

2. I think Bray will be our first guy to put at slot but both will get some playing time.

3. I believe Sullen, Mack and Westerman will get playing time. Nice depth on OL unit.

5. Bell at Field CB, Davis at Boundary CB and Whitehead at Nickel CB. Therezie and Mincy will be our backup at CBs. On other side, it is possible for Whitehead being at Field CB and Bell at Nickel CB. We'll see.

Honorable mention. Uzomah will get breakout season. Watch him.

Frost got a good chance to beat out Evans at Strong Side LB and I think Justin Garrett or maybe Ryan White (He got a look at OLB during the practice) will be understudy to Daren Bates.

I personally the thought the OG battle is more between Sullen and Mack....I think Westerman will start from game 1.

Clemson lost every DL from last season so that should be a good first game for our new guys.

I am going to have to go with Westerman over Mack if the battle were to come down to that.

It is going to be interesting battle between three guys. Who knows...

Frost got a good chance to beat out Evans at Strong Side LB and I think Justin Garrett or maybe Ryan White (He got a look at OLB during the practice) will be understudy to Daren Bates.

According to Thigpen, he was practicing some things as a Safety that gets moved 'into the box' in certain situations.  He wasn't getting a look at LB.

According to Thigpen, he was practicing some things as a Safety that gets moved 'into the box' in certain situations.  He wasn't getting a look at LB.

Oh my bad, it was Ryan Smith. An observer did mention that he was working at OLB skills.

http://auburnfootballfanforum.yuku.com/topic/22612/Official-2012-Season-thread?page=7#.T3fBA6trM_c

Post #124.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one will know who is correct until the coaches put out an official depth chart, but one thing I'll have to disagree on is the "which QB has a better skill set" comment. I've noticed that you have said similar things on other post and I'm just wondering what you mean by that. From everything I've heard/read from players, coaches and team reporters KF seems to have everything but size advantage over CM. I know it's difficult to state why one would think one player would start over another without downgrading a member of the team, but I'm genuinely curious as to what you're basing your point from. I hope it's not the stereotypical Black QB is more of an athlete and less of a passer, because I firmly believe that is not the case with KF.

Moseley is more of a traditional type quarterback... big arm and little mobility. Frazier is more of the modern/scrambler type quarterback...good legs and decent arm. From what I have seen and heard, I think Moseley has the edge on passing power and distance. He also has been a starting quarterback before and has a better grasp on reading defenses. If Loeffler is looking for a vertical passing game, I believe Clint is the best option. If Loeffler wants to run the read option frequently or if pass protection is poor, Frazier will DEFINATELY win the starting spot. I just think we are going to have a much stronger passing attack this year. Our biggest impact players are in our beastly receiving corps and Lutz. We have some talented running backs, but they are young. I know Loeffler wants to stick with a run first approach, but I think we will be more of a passing team than we have in the past few years because of all of the talent and experience in receiving positions. From a passing standpoint, Frazier has more potential. He has a stronger arm than an average athletic qb and he is more polished at this point than moseley was. However, I feel that Clint is more developed at this point, especially from a qb intelligence level. BTW, I want to make this clear. I am not trying to follow racial stereotypes, nor do I think they are particularly accurate. (I actually study discrimination in personell selection...) I am just going off of what I saw last year.

Look guys, I don't KNOW that Moseley will start. I just think you guys are really overlooking him and selling him way short. He is better than people think.  The problems he had last year were due to players around him and lack of pass protection.

Heck, I will admit that Frazier is the more naturally talented. He will be a great quarterback one day if he continues to improve at the rate that he has.  I will even admit that he may very well be the starter. I just wish you guys would realize that Frazier starting is far from a SURE thing at this poing...if that makes sense. He still has a long way to go to be a perfect quarterback.

I know that this was a bit wordy, but I think a few people have been confused by my previous comments and I wanted to clear up the misconceptions.

War Eagle

Look...I've listened to you a lot now and I love CM as much as anyone could but I am going to correct you on one thing you are SO far off base on and that's the arm strength thing you keep bringing up.

It's exactly opposite of what you keep asserting. Trust me.

Look...I've listened to you a lot now and I love CM as much as anyone could but I am going to correct you on one thing you are SO far off base on and that's the arm strength thing you keep bringing up.

There you go making a point before I could. Whatever long drawn out comparison I had typed pales in comparison to your one sentence. I even had quotes and web site references pulled up too. You suck.

In all seriousness I feel we will be in good hands at QB next year. I still feel KF potentially gives us the best option, but if CM is named the starter it will be because he earned it over Kiehl.

:we:

you beat me to it Dad. I dont have a clue who will or should be the starter. But if it is clint it WONT be because of arm strength.

Archived