Am i the only one....

suzutiger

sick and tired of hearing the west will be a 3 team race between Arky, LSU, and Bama because of th talent gap.

I know there is a talent gap with bama and lsu, although i believe it to be very small especialy with th 1st stringers.

There is definitly a talent gap between AU and Arky, and its in our favor. Sorrryi had to vent a little.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree!

I think Alabama will have a rougher time this year. I don't have anything to back this up (lol), but it just seems like some of their people leaving will sting just enough. Would love an upset with Michigan-wouldn't it be nice to have Bama fans quiet for a while? Nothing like a loss to start the season to keep them down to earth. Call me crazy but it is conceivable that Alabama could have 5 losses this year.

LSU has too many question marks at QB however I see them beating Alabama and Arkansas being their only speed bump after that. You heard it here first though--Auburn 31 LSU 28.

For some reason though, the writers love to kiss Alabama's butt...tv people too...

Experience maybe, talent absolutely not. Petrino's recruiting is garbage.

Yeah recruiting garbage that produced a top 10 team in 2011. Petrino is churning out good offensive talent to the pros. From my experience, i tend to put less stock in recruiting rankings and more in the results on the field.

talent gap between 4 and 5 stars isnt as pronounced as people would think most of the time

strength and condition program + practice work ethic is the difference

i think we'll be right up there with them come Fall, we have plenty of talent in the stable

I think Alabama will have a rougher time this year.

I'm thinking were going to see an Alabama team a whole lot like the 2010 team - loaded great players and, on a good day, can play with the best of them. There will probably be chemistry or otherwise 'meshing' issues. Two or three loses are possible, in my opinion, but they still have the capability to make a run for the championship.

As for Auburn not being in the mix, it doesn't surprise me. Can Auburn win the West and the SEC? Sure, I think we can make a serious run for it, but there are a lot of questions - mainly, how our QB performs and if the still green line on both sides of the ball can handle the competition. I'll be a lot more confident after seeing how we fare against those other Tigers in South Carolina.

Experience maybe, talent absolutely not. Petrino's recruiting is garbage.

Yeah recruiting garbage that produced a top 10 team in 2011. Petrino is churning out good offensive talent to the pros. From my experience, i tend to put less stock in recruiting rankings and more in the results on the field.

How much of that top 10 team is going to be playing this fall. They had experience last year not talent and they lost all but 1

of their receivers. They also lost most of their o-line. There is a direct corelation between recruiting rankings and championships

whether you want to believe it or not. Facts are facts.

There is definitely a talent gap between Auburn LSU Alabama and Arkansas.

Over the last 4 years Bama has brought in the most 4 and 5 * players followed by LSU, then us, then Ark. The difference in the last 3 years is not much at all between Bama Auburn and LSU. Arkansas has been a 3* recruiting machine.

Last year Arkansas handled everyone well except LSU and Bama, who were way too talented for them and it showed. The talent gap will show up this year putting Auburn in that top 3 with Bama and LSU. It does not mean that the records will perfectly follow that.

Petrino is getting everything he can out of his team. But eventually talent will take over if all other things are equal.

By 3-4 games in Auburn will be talked about for the West.

Petrino is an offensive genius and does a lot with the talent he has.  It has also helped him a lot that he's had some very very good QBs to get the most of the talent they have.  I wouldn't say their talent level is greater than AUs by any means.  Auburn's problems have been defense all along and some of that has been due to a drop of talent but even more so coaching.

I predict that SEC teams will not look forward to playing us this year.  Auburn is going to be a lot better this years than people think.

We will not be blown out this year and I stand by my prediction of 10 games. Could be more, but we will win at least 9 regular season games and the bowl game.

Last season really put a damper on my expectations for 2012. But now I'm starting to really get that feeling that this could be another NC type run!

I dont think anyone can argue that we have questions to answer. 2011 showed some weakness due to youth that will not be as big a factor this year.  The talent is there to make a SEC run.  Success will depend on two thing, coaching and the will to win.

sick and tired of hearing the west will be a 3 team race between Arky, LSU, and Bama because of th talent gap.

I know there is a talent gap with bama and lsu, although i believe it to be very small especialy with th 1st stringers.

There is definitly a talent gap between AU and Arky, and its in our favor. Sorrryi had to vent a little.

In a word: NO. Let them talk. They can circle jerk each other all they want; not going to change the fact that we return 18 starters. I would actually prefer to start either low in the top 25 or not included in the top 25.

Yeah, yeah, I know everyone is paranoid about starting too low and not controlling our own destiny because of 2004, but this is a new day. Half of the SEC West has won a national championship in the past five years, and that includes us, so even if we do start outside the top 25, then winning will catapult us to the top by virtue of how much the perception of strength in the SEC's football programs has changed.

With that in mind, starting outside of the top 25 is a slap in the face to a young, talented team champing at the bit already, and a big game in the Dome against Clemson to open the season could well get them over the hump in time to take on LSU in Auburn...and all bets are off if the good guys exit that game undefeated.

Last season really put a damper on my expectations for 2012. But now I'm starting to really get that feeling that this could be another NC type run!

Really?  I hope you are right.  I just don't see it tho.  2014 looks good to me.

Arky has a proven QB (maybe the best in the SEC) and we have major question marks there. We also have a young team (still) with system changes on both sides of the ball.  So, I can understand the low expectations.

No doubt we have more talent than Arky and I really like people not thinking high of us.

Arky and LSU return a lot. Arky returns the best q.b. in the SEC if not the country. LSU returns almost everyone on the defensive side of the ball. Hard to argue with the facts. But yes, I'm sick of hearing it too.

Arky and LSU return a lot. Arky returns the best q.b. in the SEC if not the country. LSU returns almost everyone on the defensive side of the ball. Hard to argue with the facts. But yes, I'm sick of hearing it too.

Arkansas is returning a rb that was out last year with an injury.  The last year he played he was one of the better rbs in the conference, capable of taking over a game.  If he is back to 100%, he could be a big factor.

Arkansas is returning a rb that was out last year with an injury.  The last year he played he was one of the better rbs in the conference, capable of taking over a game.  If he is back to 100%, he could be a big factor.

Yes they return a great Pocket QB, but have lost their star widerecievers. Their running back was injured last year, No one is ever the same after returning from a season ending injury. the virdiict is still out as to wether Arky's losses from last year will be filled with capable replacements. But it will be intresting to watch.

Not sure if you all can open the attached excel file, but this is what I use to analyze teams. It takes experience (Freshman = 1 year,....SR = 4 years) and talent (Rivals star rating) and compares it across teams...So a perfect player would be a 5 star Senior = 20 points, so my Rating % for the offense or defense multiplies each players experience x rating, and divides by the theorectical perfect score (20 points)....I'm still working on a way to give credit for returning starters.

Last year the reason's Bama's defense was insane was they returned almost every player (9 total), all were JRs and SRs (3.5 years of experience) and they average a 4 star rating.... we weren't very good on defense because we had guys that were a full year younger on average, returned only 2 starters, and were on average a 3.4 star....this is changing as seen below

2011:

Bama Offense: 3.1 years, 3.6 star, 55% Rating, Returned 10 starters

Bama Defense: 3.5 years, 4 star, 69% Rating, Returned, 9 starters

Auburn Offense: 2.7 years, 3.6 star, 48% Rating, Returned 3 starters

Auburn Defense: 2.5 years, 3.4 star, 41% Rating, Returned 2 starters

LSU Offense: 3.1 years, 4.1 star, 63% Rating

LSU Defense: 2.9 years, 4 star, 56% Rating

2012:

Bama Offense: 2.7 years, 3.8 star, 52% Rating, Returning 6 starers

Bama Defense: 3.2 years, 4 star, 64% Rating, Returning 4 starters

Auburn Offense: 2.6 years, 3.7 star, 49% Rating, Returning 7 starters

Auburn Defense: 2.8 years, 3.6 star, 49% Rating, Returning 8 starters

Next season we are only losing, 4 players on offense and 1-2 on defense (because I don't think Bell will be a starter, and I think Lemonier might go to the NFL and Bates is leaving)

The point is we are getting older and better and are still closing the gap on our competition.

2013:

Auburn Offense: 2.9 years, 3.7 star, 54% Rating, Returning 8 starters

Auburn Defense: 3 years, 3.7 star, 55% Rating, Returning 10 starters

Really?  I hope you are right.  I just don't see it tho.  2014 looks good to me.

2013 looks better, IMO. The away schedule is brutal, but I really think we're starting to overplay that angle too much. We will lose our starting kicker, starting punter, three of four starting defensive linemen, and starting middle linebacker. That a huge blow to special teams and defense. I'm not saying we can't/won't overcome, but in 2013 we lose a starting linebacker (two if you include Evans, but I still think RaRa is going to take his spot away from him), a corner who may or may not play due to injury, a starting guard who would be a backup except for the youth of the rest of the O-line, a starting receiver, and a situational running back.

Not only did we have a small senior class last year, but we have a small senior class this year, meaning that there is an extremely large number of contributors who will have two to three years of experience already going into the 2013 season. That's why I think 13 is the year more than any other.

Not sure if you all can open the attached excel file, but this is what I use to analyze teams. It takes experience (Freshman = 1 year,....SR = 4 years) and talent (Rivals star rating) and compares it across teams...So a perfect player would be a 5 star Senior = 20 points, so my Rating % for the offense or defense multiplies each players experience x rating, and divides by the theorectical perfect score (20 points)....I'm still working on a way to give credit for returning starters.

Last year the reason's Bama's defense was insane was they returned almost every player (9 total), all were JRs and SRs (3.5 years of experience) and they average a 4 star rating.... we weren't very good on defense because we had guys that were a full year younger on average, returned only 2 starters, and were on average a 3.4 star....this is changing as seen below

2011:

2012:

Next season we are only losing, 4 players on offense and 1-2 on defense (because I don't think Bell will be a starter, and I think Lemonier might go to the NFL and Bates is leaving)

The point is we are getting older and better and are still closing the gap on our competition.

2013:

Awesome write-up man. You and those freakin' excel files....i still remember the one from college where you entered in your birthday and the screen would pop up "You're gay".

2011:

2012:

2013:

Very cool breakdown.  Thanks for posting!!

Archived