L. Phillips to JSU?

yeaauburn

Thanks for posting.  I hope he does well and gets the playing time he wants at JSU.

Now, what would our reactions/comments be if the exact same circumstances had happened to a player from lsu/uat?  :-X

Thanks for posting.  I hope he does well and gets the playing time he wants at JSU.

Now, what would our reactions/comments be if the exact same circumstances had happened to a player from lsu/uat?  :-X

I see where you're going with this and your answer is "processed." But there's a difference in giving a guy a shot at PT and two years to get in playing shape and putting a guy on a medical redshirt cause you need room to sign more players cause you over-sign.

I see where you're going with this and your answer is "processed." But there's a difference in giving a guy a shot at PT and two years to get in playing shape and putting a guy on a medical redshirt cause you need room to sign more players cause you over-sign.

To restate what you said, we will be under 85 scholarships for this fall whether he stayed or not and we did not sign a full 25 to this class so we were not in the over-sign & cut 'process'.  It is not hard to tell the difference-- when you are under the maximum limits it is not 'processing' but when you are over, it is 'processing'.

At least he is heading back to my hometown and I WILL go watch this guy play! Especially if he becomes the RB!  ;)

As far a "processing" goes.........We are already under the 85 cap. I see no reason to "process" a player that you have room for before the season to make room for a guy that wont sign until next Feb. Plus, he was granted his FULL release to go anywhere he wants. Nicky was 3 over the 85 and *BAM* 3 guys "leave" the program within 2 weeks..........and none since. That my friends is the difference between "processing" and "natural attrition". Now when we begin dealing with the 85 cap next season we will find out if we have to eat crow. I am guessing crow is not on the menu at AU and with the lengths our coaching staff has gone to in order to shine the light on spanky....I seriously doubt we oversign then "have 3 guys decide not to play".

War Eagle LP and Good Luck!

this particular situation appears completely above board.  there will be attrition of a handful of players every year.  LP situation simply is unique to itself.  the next attrition will be unique to itself.

Processed because most can't look past circumstances or look objectively at an opposing teams situation.

Ahhhh...I see what you did there!!!    :laugh:      :thumbsup:

:devil: version of processed does not include an unconditional release to try and join any college program, nor does it usually start with the player requesting the release.  Both of these aspects were a part of LP's departure from Auburn, so I would not consider this being "processed" at all.  The young man decided he didn't want to be a part of the Auburn program.  His reasons are his own.  I wish him the best at JSU, and hope that he continues to get his education.

War Eagle, LP!

Another argument against "processed" is that his departure hurts the team.  If Prosch goes down, who takes that spot in certain formations?  Sure, you can line up Lutz or Fulse back there, but I want neither for my straight-up lead blocker.  I'd take LP over them in a heartbeat for that work.

Wish him the best!

Another argument against "processed" is that his departure hurts the team.  If Prosch goes down, who takes that spot in certain formations? 

Many believe that even if Prosch does get hurt, LP wouldn't have been the first choice to replace him.

Another argument against "processed" is that his departure hurts the team.  If Prosch goes down, who takes that spot in certain formations? 

Many believe that even if Prosch does get hurt, LP wouldn't have been the first choice to replace him.

I'm sure there's lots I don't know, but I wouldn't be excited about anyone I know of taking that role.

There is no moral equivalency, sorry.

There is no moral equivalency, sorry.

Oh, just wait until the "realists" read this. 

What happened to the previous headline that said LP decided to "give up football"?  :laugh:

I swear a person can't believe half of what they read anymore.

If he was pressured to leave its definitly processing.  If it was truly his decision then it's not processing to me.

I think he was shown the door so I personally believe we processed him in order to have a larger signing class for next year.  We did it right now do LP could go play next season somewhere else rather than wasting another year of his

Elegibilty at AU

is telling a kid, "do what is required of you to play football for a major sec football program or there is no place for you" processing ... i dont think so.  the scholarship is a 2 way street.  if he couldnt lose more than 1 pound, then he aint working.  look at what some of the other kids have done to their bodies in the last few months.

now if our coaches give a kid a scholly and he puts in all of the effort required of him, with gusto ... then we shove him out ... then that is wrong.  my example is jamar travis.  kid may hardly, if ever play, but he is on the team.  he must be putting in the work.

It was "processing" in the Saban sense of the word (i.e. to cut bait because of oversigning or plans to oversign no matter what type of effort the kid may be giving).

It was certainly roster managment on part of our coaching staff to help convince a kid, who simply had not and was not putting forth the effort needed to remain on the team, that it was in his best interest to give up football at AU.  Frees up a scholly for next signing class.  This is also why the 4 year scholly thing (which in theory sounds like a big deal) will be not a big deal in reality.

wde

Every coach and every program has a set of team rules that they establish for their players.  No one knows exactly what the team rules are for every program and what the requirements are for every coach.  That's why I don't bash a coach when a player is given a release and ends up at a lower division school to play ball.  Or a player is given a release to transfer elsewhere.  Because I don't know the in's & out's of the team requirements or the specifics behind the departure.

I'm a firm believer in maintaining a talent filled roster.  You absolutely have to do that to compete with lsu/fla/uat/uga/socarl, etc.  If that means encouraging a 2* player to move on to another program to make room for a 5*, then so be it. 

If AU could just EVER get to the dang 85 scholly limit.  I swear it has felt like we've been on freakin probation lately with all the dang attrition we've had. :banghead:

Every coach and every program has a set of team rules that they establish for their players.  No one knows exactly what the team rules are for every program and what the requirements are for every coach.  That's why I don't bash a coach when a player is given a release and ends up at a lower division school to play ball.  Or a player is given a release to transfer elsewhere.  Because I don't know the in's & out's of the team requirements or the specifics behind the departure.

I'm a firm believer in maintaining a talent filled roster.  You absolutely have to do that to compete with lsu/fla/uat/uga/socarl, etc.  If that means encouraging a 2* player to move on to another program to make room for a 5*, then so be it. 

If AU could just EVER get to the dang 85 scholly limit.  I swear it has felt like we've been on freakin probation lately with all the dang attrition we've had. :banghead:

I second this.

Many on here know that I have been vocal about Chizik oversigning and processing.  But I have also been vocal that I thought he was being a good steward of the program by trying to rebuild the talent and character of the team as quickly as possible.  But I won't blow that trumpet so loudly anymore because Chizik and staff chose to sign fewer than the max allowed in the 2012 class, by at least 5 players.  That shows me that CGC won't just replace a 3rd stringer because he can.  He could have forced 5 more known quantities out of the program and replaced them with unknown quantities with high potential, and he chose not to.

Despite that, LP was processed, pure and simple, to make room in the next class.  Chizik will probably not sign a full 2013 class, but he will definitely sign more than 13 or 14.  The class needs to be at least 20 in order to prevent a total team rebuilding project in the future.

As for the 85 limit: no one will ever have 85 again if the spots need to be available by signing day like they do in the Big10, or they just want to avoid the oversigning scrutiny.  Every team will have to start making room early, therefore always being below the 85 limit.  The only way you could carry a full 85 scholarship roster is if the only kids you were going to replace in the next class were graduating or going pro.

Many players leave simply to get a better chance for playing time. When Grant left bama to come here, saban could have released him only for teams out of the div or even the SEC, but he didn't he let him come here.  I don't see a problem with that.

Archived