Mike Blakely

lyles2010

I only got to see the highlights of A-Day, but what I saw of MB I liked.  He looked pretty stout out there, but with good weight. CG too.  Excited for the season!  :wareagle:

He looked great, me and my son got the oppurtunity to talk to him at the autograph session, and might I say he, Grant and Mason are ready for a huge season. All 3 said they are super hungry for PT and  :tdau:

Why isn't Blakely allowed to talk to the media? On Tigerland.com there was an article and at the bottom it says he hasn't been allowed to talk to the media?http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/auburn_running_game_powered_fullback.html

Is he in some sort of trouble?  He must have said something he shouldn't have :dunno:

Why isn't Blakely allowed to talk to the media? On Tigerland.com there was an article and at the bottom it says he hasn't been allowed to talk to the media?http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/auburn_running_game_powered_fullback.html

Is he in some sort of trouble?  He must have said something he shouldn't have :dunno:

Who knows with Chizik.

I like Chiz, but I don't know if there's a more cautious/superstitious coach in the country when it comes to dealing with the media and revealing information.

How many freshmen does Chizik allow to talk to the media? Probably not a matter of trouble as much as earning the right to talk to the media.

Who knows with Chizik.

I like Chiz, but I don't know if there's a more cautious/superstitious coach in the country when it comes to dealing with the media and revealing information.

yeah, it is almost like he doesn't trust the media or something. :)

Who knows with Chizik.

yeah, it is almost like he doesn't trust the media or something. :)

Imagine that!

Keeping freshmen (and most others too) away from the media is not necessarily a bad thing.  Sure the media guys are just doing their jobs...but what is their job?  It's not to make AU or any particular AU player look good...in fact in the state of Alabama, they get more readership by making AU and /or an AU player look bad and thus ingratiating themselves to the large contingent of bammers out there.

I see no problem with Chiz's views on the matter. 

Keeping freshmen (and most others too) away from the media is not necessarily a bad thing.  Sure the media guys are just doing their jobs...but what is their job?  It's not to make AU or any particular AU player look good...in fact in the state of Alabama, they get more readership by making AU and /or an AU player look bad and thus ingratiating themselves to the large contingent of bammers out there.

I see no problem with Chiz's views on the matter. 

Absolutely. They have to be sure that the player isn't going to start spouting bulletin board material for rivals to feed off of. It's good to have a few personalities to give the media some sound bytes, but they have to have an awareness of how far they can go without either making the team look bad or talking too much about things that shouldn't be said publicly.

It's kinda similar to the way Geraldo got into so much trouble for something along the lines of showing the viewers at home where they were on a map in...Iraq, I think...thereby giving enemy combatants an exact place at an exact time, even though he couldn't possibly have thought about the ramifications of his action seeing as he put himself in greater danger just like the troops...obviously that is a much more critical situation, and I certainly am not comparing the magnitude of playing football to fighting a war, but the parallel is still there on a smaller scale.

Blakely had some really shifty moves yesterday.. I saw glimpses of Cadillac Williams out of him, they way he could cut on a dime.

Mike and Tre had the longest runs of the day, but Tre may have played four downs the entire scrimmage.

I have been excited about MB since I seen him play a HS game on TV.  One of those guys that has a chance to break it for 50 yards every play and it doesn't matter if he runs it up the middle or around the edge.  He appears to have that rare combination of great balance (str), nice acceleration and elite top end speed, plus he is very shifty.  Im not taking anyway away from Rudi Johnson, Ben Tate, CW, R. Brown,etc.  All were great.  But none of those had all of those things combined. I think the last one we had like that was Brent Fullwood. I guess I am just saying that if MB keeps his head on right and stays healthy then I think one day he is going to be mentioned often when people are discussing the great AU running backs.

Mike Blakely is the next great runningback at Auburn.

Just the past few years --

Rudi Johnson

Cadillac Williams

Ronnie Brown

Kenny Irons

Ben Tate (Sry, initially forgot you, Ben)

Michael Dyer

and now...Mike Blakely

Just an observation but I thought it was kind of curious that Coach Chiz seemed to go out of his way to say that MB might have had a couple good runs at A-Day but the he hasn't been consistent and then said he hadn't had a consistent spring practice. It was almost as though he didn't want to give him any praise. It seemed that it went further than the normal coach speak about "we have a lot more work to do,blah blah".

As far as the RB situation in general, I am looking forward to seeing formations where MB and CG are in the backfield at the same time. Both can run inside or break it to the house on the outside at any time, so their complete game has to be respected by a defense. I think the possibilities there with fakes, motions, pitches, delays, play action passes are amazing and with KF at QB it would be an absolute nightmare for most defenses.

Just an observation but I thought it was kind of curious that Coach Chiz seemed to go out of his way to say that MB might have had a couple good runs at A-Day but the he hasn't been consistent and then said he hadn't had a consistent spring practice. It was almost as though he didn't want to give him any praise. It seemed that it went further than the normal coach speak about "we have a lot more work to do,blah blah".

As far as the RB situation in general, I am looking forward to seeing formations where MB and CG are in the backfield at the same time. Both can run inside or break it to the house on the outside at any time, so their complete game has to be respected by a defense. I think the possibilities there with fakes, motions, pitches, delays, play action passes are amazing and with KF at QB it would be an absolute nightmare for most defenses.

Could be that Chizik is looking ahead to our first game and don't want to let on to what we have or what we might be doing.

Maybe that is how he gets MB motivated. No doubt this guy has the potential to be something special.

Methinks MB may still be adjusting to life off of the field as an AU football player and hasn't effectively adjusted to the point that the coaching staff is satisfied.

wde

Methinks MB may still be adjusting to life off of the field as an AU football player and hasn't effectively adjusted to the point that the coaching staff is satisfied.

wde

Very well could be..

wde

Very well could be..

That would be my guess too, just based on the tone Chizik used. It seemed like the same tone he uses when people are in trouble. Obviously it isn't something that serious enough for him to actually be in trouble, but the coaches definitely seem a little displeased with something he is doing.

Then again, there has also been talk of turnovers this spring and we haven't seen them. Maybe he fumbles a lot.

I have been excited about MB since I seen him play a HS game on TV.  One of those guys that has a chance to break it for 50 yards every play and it doesn't matter if he runs it up the middle or around the edge.  He appears to have that rare combination of great balance (str), nice acceleration and elite top end speed, plus he is very shifty.  Im not taking anyway away from Rudi Johnson, Ben Tate, CW, R. Brown,etc.  All were great.  But none of those had all of those things combined. I think the last one we had like that was Brent Fullwood. I guess I am just saying that if MB keeps his head on right and stays healthy then I think one day he is going to be mentioned often when people are discussing the great AU running backs.

maybe warrick dunn

wde

A well connected poster on Scout posted something along these lines. He said that Blakley isn't quite performing up to the standards of an Auburn player off the field. Said it wasn't anything serious, just needed to grow up a little.

Didn't he just become a father?  That would certainly divide one's attention.  

It's easy to make the case that at his age and status in school, something like that should not have happened...but it's a fact now and he has to deal with it and still do his academic work and play football.  I can't imagine how taxing that must be.   And with all that....the coaches can see what great potential he has and will not let up on him.  

Didn't he just become a father?  That would certainly divide one's attention.  

It's easy to make the case that at his age and status in school, something like that should not have happened...but it's a fact now and he has to deal with it and still do his academic work and play football.  I can't imagine how taxing that must be.   And with all that....the coaches can see what great potential he has and will not let up on him.  

Yea his kid was born in the middle of spring so im sure his attention has been divided all spring hence him not being consistent. I thunk people are reading way too much into chiziks words.

I thunk people are reading way too much into chiziks words.

I think so too.  Chizik doesn't seem to want to name starters, give hints, or say anything that might be taken as informative about who will start for some reason. 

Archived