Summer Evaluation Period

aupops2

Starts tomorrow.  I, for one, want to chase the AU jets flightpaths to find where Coach Loeffler is going.  The QB evaluation is of great interest to me, along with RBs and DBs.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree pops, just in looking at the ESPN 150, there's only a few QB's uncommitted (Olsen and Bateman). There will be allot of schools zeroing in on them. It will be interesting battle for some signatures.

We better take Jeremy Johnson. If Loefler is as good a QB coach as everyone claims, he should be able to turn Johnson into a first round draft pick with the kids natural athleticism

We better take Jeremy Johnson. If Loefler is as good a QB coach as everyone claims, he should be able to turn Johnson into a first round draft pick with the kids natural athleticism

I like JJ as well, we will have to see where CSL goes with this.

I trust 100% in who CSL wants for QB for the 2013 class.

I would take him right now if we're taking two. I would like Bateman or Rettig and then have Johnson as a project.

I would take him right now if we're taking two. I would like Bateman or Rettig and then have Johnson as a project.

Yeah I'm right there with you

Bateman: Outstanding prospect with a live arm. Questionable competition in Utah football.

Rettig: A huge risk right now due to his knee injury. Very good arm and a questionable scouting report.

Johnson: Very raw but has a huge upside for a program willing to take time to develop him. Less risky than Rettig and is not a "project" at all.

I'm with you on this. I think we have a guy who seem to want to come to AU here and he apparently has enough skills to warrant high evals. I trust CSL knows this and I'm sure he has plans a, b and c in mind.

Bateman: Outstanding prospect with a live arm. Questionable competition in Utah football.

Rettig: A huge risk right now due to his knee injury. Very good arm and a questionable scouting report.

Johnson: Very raw but has a huge upside for a program willing to take time to develop him. Less risky than Rettig and is not a "project" at all.

By saying he is very raw is the same thing as saying he is a project.

Rettig is as big of a project as Johnson.  I'd take the other guy though

No he's not. It's just a matter of whether or not he's healthy; if he is, then he might be the best prospect in this year's class.

I've gotta admit though, I've become a pretty big fan of Olsen. Coach's son, smart kid, good at making accurate throws while on the run, probably the most polished QB in this class. I'm actually less impressed with Bateman; he probably has the best arm in the class, but...I don't know, I just don't know how well he would do if asked to manage the game as much as Loeffler teaches.

ok guys. good stuff.  Now, how about RBs?  IMO, if we can't get a top five, then let's pass alltogether

ok guys. good stuff.  Now, how about RBs?  IMO, if we can't get a top five, then let's pass alltogether

I would like another power back. Right now the only true power back is Jovon Robinson. I think I would bring in 2 RBs this class.

I would like another power back. Right now the only true power back is Jovon Robinson. I think I would bring in 2 RBs this class.

We have four underclassmen running backs who were all rated 4 stars or better out of high school. I can see going after a bigger, power type of back, but why do we need to have 6 running backs on the roster, especially when we have the number issues we do?

We have four underclassmen running backs who were all rated 4 stars or better out of high school. I can see going after a bigger, power type of back, but why do we need to have 6 running backs on the roster, especially when we have the number issues we do?

Good point. I'd like us to take 1 RB. It'd be ideal to snag a RB that is great picking up blitzes and catching the ball out of the backfield.

4 isn't enough. A couple guys get hurt and we're in trouble. Bryan Matthews thinks we take 2 runningbacks also.

4 isn't enough. A couple guys get hurt and we're in trouble. Bryan Matthews thinks we take 2 runningbacks also.

Good for him. His opinion doesn't change mine though. We won the national championship with three running backs (Fannin, Dyer, and OMac...Smith was the fullback, but we've got Prosh to account for that) and a power running quarterback. Also, I didn't say that 4 was enough. I said that 6 was more than we needed. If we sign one back, that gives us 5.

Also, what I said was if they aren't in the top five, let's fill the class somewhere else.  For example, look at safety;  sure we've got some good ones, but when Erique went down, it showed we are still shallow there.  Right now, Vonn Bell is our only hot prospect, and the competition for him is fierce.  Sure wish we could have gotten the kid last year that surprised us and went to TCU.  Another position is tight end;  with Parks and Hutch coming in, with what we've already got, I just don't see the need, even if we run a lot of Patriot-like two tight-end sets. Even after Lutzie leaves we've still got Fulse and CJ, and Blake Burgess.  One the OL, looks like Coach Grimes is going after centers and guards as a priority, which makes total sense looking at our depth.  I think we'll get two quality guards, like Crowder and Threatt.  Doesn't seem to be too many centers on the radar right now, though.

Rettig is as big of a project as Johnson.  I'd take the other guy though

No he's not. It's just a matter of whether or not he's healthy; if he is, then he might be the best prospect in this year's class.

I've gotta admit though, I've become a pretty big fan of Olsen. Coach's son, smart kid, good at making accurate throws while onthe run, probably the most polished QB in this class. I'm actually less impressed with Bateman; he probably has the best arm in the class, but...I don't know, I just don't know how well he would do if asked to manage the game as much as Loeffler teaches.

IMO he is but I understand you feel different and that's your opinion. Neither one of us can be right or wrong right now.  With more than likely the qb having to wait at least 2 years I'm hoping we get a guy who will be a game changer not a game manager

Also, what I said was if they aren't in the top five, let's fill the class somewhere else.  For example, look at safety;  sure we've got some good ones, but when Erique went down, it showed we are still shallow there.  Right now, Vonn Bell is our only hot prospect, and the competition for him is fierce.  Sure wish we could have gotten the kid last year that surprised us and went to TCU.  Another position is tight end;  with Parks and Hutch coming in, with what we've already got, I just don't see the need, even if we run a lot of Patriot-like two tight-end sets. Even after Lutzie leaves we've still got Fulse and CJ, and Blake Burgess.  One the OL, looks like Coach Grimes is going after centers and guards as a priority, which makes total sense looking at our depth.  I think we'll get two quality guards, like Crowder and Threatt.  Doesn't seem to be too many centers on the radar right now, though.

I think we do need one back in this class, and I think if we don't get Ty Isaac (which is admittedly a reach), then we probably sign Tyshon Dye. I don't think safety is as big an issue as it seems because of the number of young defensive backs we have who can play there. Jonathan Rose is probably more cut out for safety as it is Robenson Therezie is known for coming up and laying a lick, so he would be a candidate, and let us not forget that Demetruce McNeal started on the national championship team as a freshman.

I don't think we need anyone at TE, but I do think the coaches would gladly welcome OJ Howard. Burgess is likely never going to be a receiving threat.

With the line it's pretty obvious. We signed five true offensive tackles in February; the need at that position is not great. I think we'll either sign a center in this class or get Kozan experience playing center to have a future prospect after Dismukes and Fariyike graduate, but either way I think we sign at least 2, more likely 3 interior linemen.

Guest jrljr

I think we do need one back in this class, and I think if we don't get Ty Isaac (which is admittedly a reach), then we probably sign Tyshon Dye. I don't think safety is as big an issue as it seems because of the number of young defensive backs we have who can play there. Jonathan Rose is probably more cut out for safety as it is Robenson Therezie is known for coming up and laying a lick, so he would be a candidate, and let us not forget that Demetruce McNeal started on the national championship team as a freshman.

I don't think we need anyone at TE, but I do think the coaches would gladly welcome OJ Howard. Burgess is likely never going to be a receiving threat.

With the line it's pretty obvious. We signed five true offensive tackles in February; the need at that position is not great. I think we'll either sign a center in this class or get Kozan experience playing center to have a future prospect after Dismukes and Fariyike graduate, but either way I think we sign at least 2, more likely 3 interior linemen.

I think we certainly pursue Vonn Bell! How can you not? Other than VB I agree that we have adequate and above adequate talent already. VB is a game-changer though IMO. 

:aufb:

By saying he is very raw is the same thing as saying he is a project.

Absolutely not!!! Johnson throws a beautiful deep ball, buys time in the pocket with his feet, and he is very athletic. He needs work on his throwing mechanics but that's what QB coaches get paid for. Johnson is rated a 4* by at least one major recruiting service, and is rated higher than Rettig in at least two of them.

Kevin Olsen plays in a spread offense where he never lines up under center. He only have to make one or two reads. Does that make him a project of a QB? I'll answer my own question. Absolutely not!!!!

Trooper was at Autauga Academy yesterday to "evaluate" OJ Howard.  Anybody know where the other six coaches were?  Seven are allowed out each day for evaluations, so I'm sure they were in the field somewhere.

McNeal did not start as a freshman.  He played on special teams. 

I am thinking that Whitehead will learn the safety spot and eventually become the starter there.

Archived