Lets talk about clemson game

Guest Tigereagle03

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have a problem with that. They have a very good QB with loads of weapons on offense. They have some question marks just like we do, but I think we have a couple more. They probably should be the favorite going in.

If I remember correctly, last year, we couldn't seem to put any pressure on Boyd at all, which is what killed us.  I think BVG will have something dialed up to correct that.  I don't care what the line says, I think we win this one.

With new systems on both sides of the ball, we must be able to run the ball and stop the run.  Doing so will buy our QB and WRs some time to get in sync as well as allow the LBs and Secondary to settle in.  If we are unable to do those things we may struggle in the opener.

Right now it is just too early to make an educated guess on this game.  We have so many guys out this spring, it would be a big assumption that they will all be back and 100% by gameday.  Additionally, we aren't going to get a look at our full offense or defense before this game, and really won't have much of an idea what to expect.

If we played this weekend I wouldn't like our chances with so many guys out, when fall camp comes around we will see who is back at 100%.

We should start the season on an underdog against a Clemson team that is coming off some nice success last year.  They may have lost some bodies but we will have at least 2 new starters on our OL as well and we have 2 nwe coordinators.  We will get out respect in due time once the season starts.  We have always ben better in the end when we start out with others having little expectations.  I would be fine with being  a 10 point underdog!!! :-X

With both Boyd and Watkins back, its not a wonder that Clemson is favored in the game. That said, I think those two are the only real big pluses that Clemson will have on the field against us. Everything else is roughly equal in my opinion.

True, Clemson does lose 3 starters on the OL, but we lost people too. Anyone who thinks we'll be remarkably better on OL with at least 1 and possibly 2 freshmen starting is fooling themselves. We have plenty of question marks on offense, not the least of which is our playcaller, who has scattered experience before coming here.

Defensively, we should at the very least be the equal of Clemson if not being vastly surperior. We have a slight edge in talent and our experience, especially on the defensive line is exceptional. There is no reason why we shouldn't be much better in this meeting.

Other than that, I think the intangibles are on our side. We have more experience on both sides of the ball, our guys might be more motivated to win because of our last meeting, and the vast majority of our players are experienced in the Dome. The Dome has been good to us for the last several meetings there. I doubt we blow them out, but I think we win a solid victory to jumpstart the 2012 season, and as I said yesterday, I think McCalebb is gonna smoke em on the ground and through the air.

Ryan

It is hard to say if there is any talent difference on a team versus team basis. Opening the season with them is almost like playing in a bowl game in the sense that you have a lot of time to prepare just for them.  Chizik's teams have always done well in bowl games... Swinney's, not so much and I think that gives us an edge and we handle them.  

It should be an exciting game with two teams that have a lot of break-away speed on offensive.  But I hope it is just exciting for us and we carry over some excitement from our bowl game while Swinney gets schooled again like he did in his.  

Anyone who thinks we'll be remarkably better on OL with at least 1 and possibly 2 freshmen starting is fooling themselves.

I must be fooling myself, then. See, Jeff Grimes, a guy who knows a thing or two about blocking, thinks Greg Robinson is going to be special at LT, and when you consider who he is practicing against, I doubt he's going to get much better competition from anyone we see this year, much less Clemson. Our starting center now has a full year under his belt, which is quite significant, and we have enough experience between Sullen and Slade to have great balance on the line.

And that's not to mention that the two freshmen who will likely be starting on the OL against Clemson (and yes, there will be two) were both ranked amongst the top 50 prospects in the country coming out of high school.

Also, with regard to the questions about injuries, I suspect that many of the guys who went down this spring would have played through it if it happened during the fall.

A W is a W, but I hope we embarrass Yabba Dabba Dooofus. 

He certainly acted like a jerk when they won last year.  I wonder if he is too stupid to realize he insulted Clemson and pissed off Auburn at the same time with that 'beating Auburn by a bammer alumnus' crap?  All he wanted to do was make it a bammer victory in some way that Auburn's winning streak was stopped... bama had nothing to do with it, it was Clemson that ended it.

I think we win the game, and that we will pressure them from the end position relentlessly. Let's not forget that our 108th ranked O ( or whatever it was) still put  20 points on them. I strongly believe that our improvement (however slight) on both sides of the ball will be enough to take down a team that allowed 70+ points to be put on them. We were handed a blueprint how to slay them.

I have no problem with Clemson being favored and they should be. That beatdown by WV probably impacted the spread with guys wondering which Clemson team will show. They have the edge in experience and in year 2 with their new OC they can come up with some extra trickeration like Gus did for us. I still think we have the edge in the surprise factor with both a new OC & DC. On O our OL has got to play nasty from snap one and our WRs/TEs have got to help Frazier out catching everything he throws even when a little off target. At the end of the day our D will be the deciding factor. I don't dislike Clemson, but the x-turd HC showed his true colors and needs a pounding.

War Eagle !

A W is a W, but I hope we embarrass Yabba Dabba Dooofus. 

He certainly acted like a jerk when they won last year.  I wonder if he is too stupid to realize he insulted Clemson and pissed off Auburn at the same time with that 'beating Auburn by a bammer alumnus' crap?  All he wanted to do was make it a bammer victory in some way that Auburn's winning streak was stopped... bama had nothing to do with it, it was Clemson that ended it.

I thought this same thing springer. I'm wondering if this should be locker room motivation material. For the Clemson game, Chiz should give his normal pregame pep talk...and end it with a looping video of Dabo spewing that standard Bama class. That should ignite our boys passion like they were about to play in the IB.

Give Clemson a taste of the best rivalry in CFB. They'll give up by halftime.

Be extremely physical with them - hit them in the mouth hard. Run the ball and execute the mid range pass game....remember last year AU was dominating until a misread punt return by Reed gave Clemson a short field and they scored...giving them confidence...

Defense has to be aware of the passing lanes and force Boyd to his second to third read. And most certainly stop theme from running the ball..

To be honest, if we're still 5 point underdogs come Gameday, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we beat them by four touchdowns. If they come in cocky, which I expect them to because I think they'll mirror the attitude of their coach, then it's like someone mentioned above: we'll hit them in the mouth a couple of times and they'll be down for the count.

It's not entirely accurate to say we are starting freshman on the line. I know of one potential starter who is a true freshman. Greg Robinson is not a true freshman...There is a big difference between a true freshman and a redshirt freshman.....Miller or Westerman may start and they would be the only true freshman I know of.....Anyone know anything different please tell me.

On the other hand, our defensive line will be lightyears ahead of last year, and THIS will wil the Clemson game for us. IMO.

Ha!  We are used to the underdog label, that's good with me.

We are not the same team as last year and should be much improved on both sides of the ball.  Clemson lost a lot of people and will not be the same team, either.  Clemson lost some critical cogs on that team that kept them going last year.  I think they have a difficult time this season.

Clemson's biggest handicap is that they have Dumbo Swinney as their HC.

It's not entirely accurate to say we are starting freshman on the line. I know of one potential starter who is a true freshman. Greg Robinson is not a true freshman...There is a big difference between a true freshman and a redshirt freshman.....Miller or Westerman may start and they would be the only true freshman I know of.....Anyone know anything different please tell me.

On the other hand, our defensive line will be lightyears ahead of last year, and THIS will wil the Clemson game for us. IMO.

I agree that there is a huge difference between True Freshman and Redshirt. This will make a big difference in the O line this year. There is some experience as has been mentioned in Sullen, Slade, Dismukes. Robinson will be very good and the extra year on campus puts him well past freshman status.

Westerman is also a redshirt freshman, by the way.

Clemson worries about South Carolina so much that all of their football forum is nothing but "coot" comments...they are too busy swelling on the fact that South Carolina has been working them over the past few years to do well IMO...

They will come in overconfident because they won last year when our team for some reason self imploded against them. This year will not be the same result. 2 touchdown win at least.

Archived