WHICH DEFENSE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

TrueBlue72

If two teams played three common opponents and had the following results, which one would you think the better?

Defense #1 gave up 762 yards and 40 points

Defense #2 gave up 763 yards and 61 points

If you are having trouble deciding, note that team #1 won all three of its games and team #2 lost two of the three games.

If you still can't decide, note that team #1 had a comfortable lead at halftime in all three games and played about every player who suited up on defense in the latter stages of each game. Team #2 played their defensive starters throughout at least two of the games out of necessity.

Which defense would you want on your team?

Instead of putting in the "which team had a bigger lead at halftime" it would have been better to show the amount of time both defense's spent on the field. The team with the comfortable lead at halftime just show's which team has the better offense.

Instead of putting in the "which team had a bigger lead at halftime"  it would have been better to show the amount of time both defense's spent on the field.  The team with the comfortable lead at halftime just show's which team has the better offense.

114420[/snapback]

Not at all. The defense has just as much to say about a lead as the offense (You gotta score and stop em). I'm not quite sure of the point of the original post, but our defenseive stats are somewhat unfavorably (at least for us) skewed because the defense spends almost all of the second half on the field (by design).

Actually, in the second half of all three of AU's games, the defense, mainly second and third team players spent a LOT of time on the field! When the game is over at or shortly after the half, the offense goes into "safe mode" and that gives the opponent's offense a lot of opportunities. Yesterday, against Kentucky, it seemed that our defense was on the field almost the entire 4th quarter. Our offense used the 2nd and 3rd team QB's and did NOT throw a pass.

By the way, its the number of points given up, not the number of yards, that determines who wins the game, and in that regard there is no comparison.

By the way, TideFan, did they teach you at Bammer the proper use of the apostrophe?

Actually, in the second half of all three of AU's games, the defense, mainly second and third team players spent a LOT of time on the field!  When the game is over at or shortly after the half, the offense goes into "safe mode" and that gives the opponent's offense a lot of opportunities.  Yesterday, against Kentucky, it seemed that our defense was on the field almost the entire 4th quarter.  Our offense used the 2nd and 3rd team QB's and did NOT throw a pass. 

By the way, its the number of points given up, not the number of yards, that determines who wins the game, and in that regard there is no comparison.

By the way, TideFan, did they teach you at Bammer the proper use of the apostrophe?

114431[/snapback]

Nice catch on the apostrophe. I really have no idea why I put it there, but I think it should be noted that my apostrophe uses were learned in grammer school, not at bammer.

As for the rest of the topic, give AU either defense and they are still undefeated. Give bama either defense, and they are still 5-3. Both are great. By the way, which games are those numbers from?

My guess would be UT, Arkansas and UK since they are the only teams they AU and UA have both faced.

114439[/snapback]

That was my guess, but the numbers don't add up. Bama only allowed 705 yards, while AU allowed 740. Also, bama's defense gave up 54 points while AU's defense gave up 40 points. Bama actually had 61 points scored on them, but you can't consider a fumble return for a touchdown against the defense, considering they weren't even on the field.

Either way, both teams have played lights out on defense.

Archived