2013 4* DT Kelsey Griffin (South Carolina signee)

Cam2Newton1

Does anyone have any information on if Brian VanGorder is still recruiting this kid? I haven't heard any news about him. Will he be at BCW IV? He looks pretty stout-6'1 289lbs. :dunno:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5471872

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kelsey-Griffin-124305

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any information on if Brian VanGorder is still recruiting this kid? I haven't heard any news about him. Will he be at BCW IV? He looks pretty stout-6'1 289lbs. :dunno:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5471872

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kelsey-Griffin-124305

You won't see much on any DT not named Montravius Adams. He's the only DT in the country that has a committable offer from us right now.

The only DEs that do are Demarcus Walker and Tashawn Bower.

If we get M.Adams we're probably done with the D-Line. Pretty crazy that a kid like this might be turned down.

spot on. Only other guy I think we'd add is a SDE like Walker, but he'll be tough to pry from bammer/UF right now.

I was told that THE primary reason he put off his announcement to commit earlier this month was because the Auburn coaches talked him into taking more time and getting him in for a visit.

Pretty much an Auburn/Georgia battle for MA right?

from what I hear, yes......Jonesy is the man for MA info though.

Didn't realize he liked the Minutemen so much :dunno:

Pretty much an Auburn/Georgia battle for MA right?

from what I hear, yes......Jonesy is the man for MA info though.

I wouldn't exactly eliminate Clemson at this point either, even though it seems we might have the inside track right now.

If we get M.Adams we're probably done with the D-Line. Pretty crazy that a kid like this might be turned down.

spot on. Only other guy I think we'd add is a SDE like Walker, but he'll be tough to pry from bammer/UF right now.

I was told that THE primary reason he put off his announcement to commit earlier this month was because the Auburn coaches talked him into taking more time and getting him in for a visit.

So we are only going to take three defensive lineman after taking only two last year. That would be a big mistake in my opinion. Personally, I would like to see us sign 4 or 5 defensive lineman in this class

So we are only going to take three defensive lineman after taking only two last year. That would be a big mistake in my opinion. Personally, I would like to see us sign 4 or 5 defensive lineman in this class

I disagree. As we stand, Whitaker and Carter are juniors now. Wright, Blackson and Sigler, Harrell are sophmores. Niles is a rs-freshman. Nero is a true freshman. There's not a huge need a tackle. Lemonier, Eguae and Sanders are juniors. Owens and Delanie are sophmores. President is a freshman. There is not a huge need at the end position either. With Lawson and Liner committed, one more like Adams and we can afford to shut it down.

I disagree. As we stand, Whitaker and Carter are juniors now. Wright, Blackson and Sigler, Harrell are sophmores. Niles is a rs-freshman. Nero is a true freshman. There's not a huge need a tackle. Lemonier, Eguae and Sanders are juniors. Owens and Delanie are sophmores. President is a freshman. There is not a huge need at the end position either. With Lawson and Liner committed, one more like Adams and we can afford to shut it down.

I get where you're coming from as far as being able to shut it down on DL, but on the flipside it's very possible that Lemonier leaves early, possibly Ford too, and there is some attrition on the interior because we do a fairly large amount of talent log jammed in there right now. I think it would be wise to pursue Griffin and Adams heavily so that if MA does decide to head elsewhere we've got another great option in the fold. Also, if we weren't concerned about our DL would we not have pushed so hard for Goldman and Leonard Williams in this past recruiting cycle? I think we need to bring in

4 quality DL this cycle who wouldn't be considered "projects" or "diamonds in the rough" but guys who are ready to rock and roll from the time the step on campus. The way things are shaping up, the 2013 class could very well be our best to date as far as top to bottom quality.

By the time anybody in this class gets on campus, Whitaker, Ford, Lemonier, Sanders, Eguae, and Carter will all be seniors. Blackson, Sigler and Wright will be juniors. Nero, President, Niles, and Harrell have never played and nobody knows how good they will be

Our defensive line beyond the seniors definitely wont be so good and so deep that we should turn down high school all-american defensive lineman like Tashawn Bowers, DeMarcus Walker, and Kelsey Griffin if they are willing to come.

What I mean is I believe we would be doing alright by only taking 3 this year.  There is a log jam there but i'm not saying stop recruiting. If you get your top target in Adams, then yes you shut it down. He and Liner would be the two inside guys for this class and that would give us more than enough tackles. If the top guy on the board is holding out, keep targeting other guys. We are getting close to the 85 limit, so we cannot be careless and just sign 5 guys at a position every year. Taking 2-4 guys a year over the past few years has gotten us where we need to be numbers wise. We can't over do it, then turn around and force guys out because of scholarship numbers. Chizik has given his word to these signees that they have 4 years. It's a delicate process to manage the numbers year in and out. We just can't go out and sign a bunch of guys because they're hs all americans and want to come to your school. Gotta be smart about it.

By the time anybody in this class gets on campus, Whitaker, Ford, Lemonier, Sanders, Eguae, and Carter will all be seniors. Blackson, Sigler and Wright will be juniors. Nero, President, Niles, and Harrell have never played and nobody knows how good they will be

Our defensive line beyond the seniors definitely wont be so good and so deep that we should turn down high school all-american defensive lineman like Tashawn Bowers, DeMarcus Walker, and Kelsey Griffin if they are willing to come.

I agree that "we" don't know how good these d linemen will be but I think that the coaches have a pretty good idea. I feel confident that they are plenty capable of managing our roster.

I agree that the coaches can manage our roster, but show me any statement from the coaches that they only plan on taking 3 defensive lineman. That seems like nothing but pure speculation from fans to me. Tashawn Bower is planning on visiting Auburn on June 3 and DeMarcus Walker is planning on visiting Auburn sometime this summer or fall. I assume our coaches are still actively recruiting those players and trying to convince them to come to Auburn

I think the staff is going to concentrate on specific needs and once those are filled, fill the rest of the roster with quality depth. Even the staff has an idea of what they WANT but it's still a fluid situation. I'd say 3-5 DL.

I think the staff is going to concentrate on specific needs and once those are filled, fill the rest of the roster with quality depth. Even the staff has an idea of what they WANT but it's still a fluid situation. I'd say 3-5 DL.

A rhetorical question to you all:  If you could get Kelsey Griffin, TaShawn Bowers, DeMarcus Walker, alomg with M Adams, and lets throw in Foster, Ngakuoe, Trey Matthews, and Mustafaa, would you sacrifice a slot from, say, RB, or WR, or OL, or even DB??  Think about it!!

A rhetorical question to you all:  If you could get Kelsey Griffin, TaShawn Bowers, DeMarcus Walker, alomg with M Adams, and lets throw in Foster, Ngakuoe, Trey Matthews, and Mustafaa, would you sacrifice a slot from, say, RB, or WR, or OL, or even DB??  Think about it!!

Interesting question and one that ties in with one I have:  Is there an ideal flow for "recruiting by the numbers'?  With the 85 max limit, 25 initial counter limit, redshirt possibility, early departure for the NFL possibility, and a 'normal attrition rate', is there a certain flow to various positions that is targeted?  Like so many sr, jr, so, fr, and rs fr in some type of cycle between the various positions.

With some positions I would think you would prefer to take one or two every year while at others you would prefer to take them in groups of 2 to 4 every other year and alternate those years with other strategic positions.  Basically, you don't want to lose over half your starters from year to year so you have a strong nucleus to work with and you don't want to lose your entire back field, OL, DL, secondary, etc in any year.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone read or heard how Kelsey Griffin feels about us?  Does he have a list of favorites?

He has visited UTk, Gawga, SC, and FSU. Contrary to internet reports he said as of 3 weeks ago he has no favorites. He is completely open.

Has anyone read or heard how Kelsey Griffin feels about us?  Does he have a list of favorites?

IMO, If we get Monty and Walker then the sun will set on Griffin.  However, if we lose one of them then he will be in play. BVG is the lead recruiter for Mr. Griffin.

IMO, If we get Monty and Walker then the sun will set on Griffin.  However, if we lose one of them then he will be in play. BVG is the lead recruiter for Mr. Griffin.

Along with Coach Pelton.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived